Hey all. Still using my playbook on a daily basis, though largely for ebook/video use, but still gets some time as a music player and a few other uses. My local library recently switched to a different cloud system for borrowing ebooks (3M) and I was going to try and install it last night (sideload), but discovered that I can no longer connect to my playbook via wifi. I checked the settings and everything seems okay. I've also tried a reboot of the PB to see if something was stuck in memory. Nope. This is the first time I came across this situation and not sure where to look. This is using a windows 8.1 laptop, which I previously had no issue with, but also tried with an old win XP laptop. The playbook itself is working as normal and has no issue connecting to the network (yes, checked to make sure it's on the same wifi network). Any thing else you guys might think of checking? Honestly haven't had a tonne of time to play with this. I tried to turn off file sharing and turn all those settings back on again, but to no avail.

I have never installed the Blackberry Desktop Manager, so don't currently have access via USB. Is there a way to install the drivers to gain access via USB without installing their full desktop software? I just want to get access through the Chrome plugin to sideload...not looking to "sync" or anything. I don't really have anything of any importance on the device, so if it dies, no harm done.

Appreciate any ideas!
    02-09-15 05:58 AM
    Hey all. Still using my playbook on a daily basis, though largely for ebook/video use, but still gets some time as a music player and a few other uses. My local library recently switched to a different cloud system for borrowing ebooks (3M) and I was going to try and install it last night (sideload), but discovered that I can no longer connect to my playbook via wifi. I checked the settings and everything seems okay. I've also tried a reboot of the PB to see if something was stuck in memory. Nope. This is the first time I came across this situation and not sure where to look. This is using a windows 8.1 laptop, which I previously had no issue with, but also tried with an old win XP laptop. The playbook itself is working as normal and has no issue connecting to the network (yes, checked to make sure it's on the same wifi network). Any thing else you guys might think of checking? Honestly haven't had a tonne of time to play with this. I tried to turn off file sharing and turn all those settings back on again, but to no avail.

I have never installed the Blackberry Desktop Manager, so don't currently have access via USB. Is there a way to install the drivers to gain access via USB without installing their full desktop software? I just want to get access through the Chrome plugin to sideload...not looking to "sync" or anything. I don't really have anything of any importance on the device, so if it dies, no harm done.

Appreciate any ideas!
    Has the private IP (192.168.x.x typically) address for your PB changed at all? May be obvious, but the router auto assigning a different IP has burned me before.

Can't think of other suggestions right now, sorry. Hope you get this straightened out.
    02-09-15 10:37 AM

Appreciate any ideas!
    Not quite following this. You can't connect to the library wifi or you can't connect to your home wifi? Or you can't connect to any wifi? Or you can connect but don't have internet access? To rule out a hardware problem, go to a McDonalds or coffee shop and see if you can connect to free, unsecured wifi. Have you tried remaking the connection and/or resetting your router?

Edit: Ok, you're trying to transfer a file to PB by wifi to sideload. Light went on.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 02-09-15 at 02:10 PM.
    02-09-15 01:33 PM
    First, reboot everything- Playbook, PC, and router. Then, make sure that you're using the correct ip address for the playbook when trying to sideload- look under settings, about, network. Finally. I don't think that you need to install Desktop Software to install the drivers for the Playbook. Just connect your PB by USB and it should install the drivers.
    02-09-15 01:50 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. While this is a personal device, it connects to work email. They rolled out some new security systems in the last week or so. Is it possible for them to alter my settings to block access via wifi (even though the playbook option is set to on). It's the only thing I can think of that changed in the last while. If I can't figure this out, I might just cave in and install USB drivers and do things that way. Not like I need to connect to the PB on a regular basis.
    02-10-15 09:18 AM
    did they have hands on access to your PB? Or remote access?

And no, you do not need to load BBDTM,
    just connect the Playbook to pc using the data cable, it will install drivers and map to "Z" drive.
    02-10-15 01:10 PM
    No hands on access to my device, basically remote monitoring. I just found it odd that the device used to work, but no longer does. IP address at home hasn't changed on the pb, so it's not that. Still working through some late nights; I'm hoping to take a look into this over the weekend. Glad to know that the PB will install drivers, as I don't remember that being the case when I first got it. Was hoping that Win8 might just be able to detect and d/l the drivers if nothing else.
    02-11-15 02:22 PM
    Played around with it for a few minutes last night and same issue. Tried with my Z10 and it seems to be locked out as well. Maybe work did change something. Anyhow, installed the USB drivers for the Playbook, and could connect and sideload via cable. For the one time a month I might sideload these days, it's convenient enough. Thanks for all the responses.
    mh1983 likes this.
    02-13-15 09:58 AM
    I just had the same issue. I tried numerous things. What seemed to work was turning off the wifi on playbook and turning it back on. Good luck
    02-17-15 09:40 PM
    I just had the same issue. I tried numerous things. What seemed to work was turning off the wifi on playbook and turning it back on. Good luck
    Interesting. Might try this when I get the chance. I did reboot my Playbook completely, so thought that might clear it up. The USB thing works fine for now, but will try the wifi thing.
    02-18-15 06:09 AM