I'm thinking it would be pretty cool if my PB could use my BB (and it's large sdcard) like a usb drive, or via the blutooth bridge. My 16gb PB is full so this would be an amazing feature... Does such a thing exist??? Or are there plans to allow file transfers via bb bridge?
    05-08-12 08:11 PM
    You can upload files to blue box or drop box thru bridge. Then you always have access to them.
    Jeeosuit allows file transfers thru wifi.
    When bridged the PB has access to the sdcard. I dunno if you can transfer files with ghost commander or not. I'll try it in a bit and report back.
    05-08-12 08:21 PM
    Go to your "File Manager" icon on the PB when bridged. You can view most any files and play them (videos don't seem to work for me)

I use Files and Folders which makes it all a little easier. I'm able to transfer videos from phone to PB to watch.
    05-08-12 08:24 PM
    Go to your "File Manager" icon on the PB when bridged. You can view most any files and play them (videos don't seem to work for me)
    Thanks!! This is so freaking cool! Now I can keep all my music and books on the bb and save space on pb... Loving my pb so far!!!

Now if we could do videos too that would be amazing!!
    05-08-12 09:16 PM
    Files & Folders lets most users do this via Bride. However, check with the trial version whether this works for you, because with some installations (mainly BES-managed phones) the OS prevents this. Another option with Files & Folders is to use one of the cloud services.
    05-08-12 10:12 PM
    I have a bunch of .mp4 video files that play on PB from BB using files and folders.
    They were converted a few years ago for a Bold 9000. The problem is I don't know what settings I used. I have tried a few times recently and nothing I convert will play on the PB. I downloaded a program that is supposed to show the codecs used in the file but that was a dead end for me.
    If anyone has the ability to examine the finer points of these files I would be happy to send one. They are all around 80 mb in size so I would need some instruction to send a file that large.
    05-09-12 12:13 AM
    I have a bunch of .mp4 video files that play on PB from BB using files and folders.
    They were converted a few years ago for a Bold 9000. The problem is I don't know what settings I used. I have tried a few times recently and nothing I convert will play on the PB. I downloaded a program that is supposed to show the codecs used in the file but that was a dead end for me.
    If anyone has the ability to examine the finer points of these files I would be happy to send one. They are all around 80 mb in size so I would need some instruction to send a file that large.
    Are you just asking how to encode a video to play on the PB? If so i can help you with that. The easiest way to do if for just starting out is handbrake. What is your source file?
    To find out i formation about your other videos you can load them in vlc and get the info from there. Hit ctrl+I select codec detail tab and you'll have the media info. If you want more detailed media info download mediainfo and open the file in it.
    05-09-12 12:51 AM
    I'm thinking it would be pretty cool if my PB could use my BB (and it's large sdcard) like a usb drive, or via the blutooth bridge. My 16gb PB is full so this would be an amazing feature... Does such a thing exist??? Or are there plans to allow file transfers via bb bridge?
    First, you can shift files through Files & Folders or other such utility to make space on your PB.

Secondly, while downloading files from the internet, the save command box gives the Bridged BlackBerry device memory card as a save option (both phone and card memory).
    05-09-12 01:27 AM
    Are you just asking how to encode a video to play on the PB? If so i can help you with that. The easiest way to do if for just starting out is handbrake. What is your source file?
    To find out i formation about your other videos you can load them in vlc and get the info from there. Hit ctrl+I select codec detail tab and you'll have the media info. If you want more detailed media info download mediainfo and open the file in it.
    I keep reading that it's not possible to stream video from BB to PB via bridge. I know it is possible because I can do it with some video files I converted in the past.

I tried some pc program to get codec info. When I convert using the codecs listed I still get the file not supported error.
    05-09-12 07:31 AM
    First, you can shift files through Files & Folders or other such utility to make space on your PB.
    sorry, i don't think i understood this

does this mean i have to buy a non-native app to perform the basic function ? can i do this with the air browser file manager ?

as i just mentioned in another post, i figured how to cross copy .doc and .xls files but nothing worked for pdf or the sound and image files.

help would be appreciated !
    05-09-12 07:45 AM
    I keep reading that it's not possible to stream video from BB to PB via bridge. I know it is possible because I can do it with some video files I converted in the past.

I tried some pc program to get codec info. When I convert using the codecs listed I still get the file not supported error.
    With bluetooth no. Bluetooth is just to slow to stream video. Its my opinion that the file not supported error message is saying that the file isn't supported to be streamed. Not that the file isn't supported by the PB. To support my opinion I copied a movie I have on my PB that workes to my BB and tried streaming it and I got the message file not supported.
    If you don't mind using wifi you can do this with jeeosuit. Its a free server in app world. Connect to blackberry thru browser on PB and watch your video files.
    Rational_mind, you can use the free file manager ghost commander. Get it in app world. Air browser doesn't explorer the BB file system and native file explorer does just that. It doesn't let you manage files. You can open and delete. Ghost commander is by far the strongest file manager I've found free. I haven't used lan file yet. You can even use ghost commander to access your windows machine file system.
    This is what you do after you have it installed and open. You'll notice you have 2 different windows. How you do this I up to you. I always have my PB in the left pane and what I'm accessing in the right pane. To do this at top of each pane touch and hold. You'll get a short list. Select /sdcard. In case of the PB go to where your file is that you want to move/copy. Let's move a video so in the list you'll see folder movies/. Open it.
    In right pane go into /sdcard. Top of list is back folder select it. Go into /root/blackberry/sdcard.
    From either pane select file you want to move/copy my touching file on the right side. Touching the left side will open it. After selected chose move/copy from the bottom. You'll be asked to confirm. That's it.
    To access your shared files on your pc. Touch top of pane select home. Select windows share. Put in ip of pc and ok. You'll a list of shared folders.
    05-09-12 09:35 AM
    With bluetooth no. Bluetooth is just to slow to stream video. Its my opinion that the file not supported error message is saying that the file isn't supported to be streamed. Not that the file isn't supported by the PB. To support my opinion I copied a movie I have on my PB that workes to my BB and tried streaming it and I got the message file not supported.
    Is does work via bluetooth with files and folders. Select video file from phone and then open in application. 5 second buffer then starts playing on PB. The videos I'm playing are formatted for a 9000 so no high definition stuff. They look fine on the PB for casual viewing.

My problem is I don't know what is different about the files I converted a couple years ago and what I convert now.

Beta 2.0 handled this better and most videos would try to play. Even high definition would play with a lot of buffering.
    05-09-12 11:00 AM
    Is does work via bluetooth with files and folders. Select video file from phone and then open in application. 5 second buffer then starts playing on PB. The videos I'm playing are formatted for a 9000 so no high definition stuff. They look fine on the PB for casual viewing.

My problem is I don't know what is different about the files I converted a couple years ago and what I convert now.

Beta 2.0 handled this better and most videos would try to play. Even high definition would play with a lot of buffering.
    So your telling me in the native file manager your watching video on your PB from your bb sdcard thru bridge?
    What's the question? I dunno what's different about the files you encoded today and the ones 2 years ago. I don't know what software you used. Either time. The 9000 has a resolution of what 480x320? I have lots of those file. Not a one will play across bridge. I told you how to find th information. Upload a file to DB and give me the link I'll download it and try it out.

I thought you where talking about file manager on the pb. Looking into it i found and installed files and folders from app world. Ive tried several different configurations and nothing has played across bridge. Let me get a file you can play and I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 05-09-12 at 11:46 PM.
    05-09-12 07:04 PM
    SOrry I'm lost with this thread!

Native File Browser will let you access your BB Memory Card for Pictures, Music & Documents. I'm sure these can be accessed but not modified (cut, copy, paste, etc.) through Native File Browser.

Videos are currently not supported.

We desperately need a long sticky on this subject!
    05-10-12 01:38 AM
    Some background info...

Neither Files & Folders nor the OS does anything "special" to bridged files. The only difference with the native file manager (on this aspect, that is) is that F&F doesn't limit you to certain file types but allows you to (attempt to) open any file via bridge. Bridge files are not streamed, they are just "inserted" into the PB's file system and can be opened like any other file by any other app.

Some video formats can start playing before the entire file is loaded (which seems like streaming to the user) because important data about the video is located at the beginning. Other video formats need to read a chunk at the end of the file before they can start playing.

If you can't play a file that is on the PlayBook due to encoding, you certainly can't play it via Bridge.

Now, whether a valid file can or can't be played via Bridge depends on the PB's video player, not on F&F. It may detect how fast it can read the file, and take some decisions based on that. If you can't play a video, try copying it to the PB first. If you still can't play it, it's a file format problem, not a Bridge problem.

The speed of a BlueTooth connection is not really fast enough to stream video of any quality real-time. The recent announcement that Wifi is coming to BB Bridge will probably improve this massively.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 05-10-12 at 01:55 PM.
    05-10-12 01:53 PM
    I really like being able to access my 32g card on my curve. Its mainly for mp3 storage. I wish you could use shuffle mode instead of one file at a time but overall has added a lot of storage for my playbook. (Ill never understand why they don't have at least 250g playbooks )
    05-10-12 02:02 PM
    Some background info...

Neither Files & Folders nor the OS does anything "special" to bridged files. The only difference with the native file manager (on this aspect, that is) is that F&F doesn't limit you to certain file types but allows you to (attempt to) open any file via bridge. Bridge files are not streamed, they are just "inserted" into the PB's file system and can be opened like any other file by any other app.

Some video formats can start playing before the entire file is loaded (which seems like streaming to the user) because important data about the video is located at the beginning. Other video formats need to read a chunk at the end of the file before they can start playing.

If you can't play a file that is on the PlayBook due to encoding, you certainly can't play it via Bridge.

Now, whether a valid file can or can't be played via Bridge depends on the PB's video player, not on F&F. It may detect how fast it can read the file, and take some decisions based on that. If you can't play a video, try copying it to the PB first. If you still can't play it, it's a file format problem, not a Bridge problem.

The speed of a BlueTooth connection is not really fast enough to stream video of any quality real-time. The recent announcement that Wifi is coming to BB Bridge will probably improve this massively.
    Its certainly not streaming. What F&F allows you to do that native manager doesn't is well manange files. In native manager you can't move,copy, or even rename a file. But you don't have to buy F&F for this. Ghost commander which I free can do this also. I use ghost commander for my dropbox too. Ghost commander can connect to a win share. I haven't been able to find a way to do it with F&F yet. So yea tberes a difference in what a file manager can offer.
    The big topic in the thread is watching a video on the PB accessing it from the BB thru bridge. I stand by that bluetooth isn't going to pull it off. But I somebody says they did it, then I'm going to try it. I'm not going to lose anything. I gave what $3 for F&F but I have GC an AB. It comes out to $1 a piece. Not bad, and still supporting or devs.
    Innovatology likes this.
    05-10-12 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD