Does anyone else watch ABC shows on their PB?

I tried to watch a show today after having watched many in the past but now it says my device is not supported. It directed me to the help section where it lists system requirements including several operating systems, web browsers and Adobe Flash Player 10.0.0 or later. Should it be working?
    03-14-12 12:49 AM
    Just saw when I pause a show on my laptop theres an ad for the abc ipad app, hmmmm.
    03-14-12 01:49 AM
    i would watch the current episodes of modern family on there. Apple and ABC are in cahoots
    03-14-12 01:54 AM
    Im having the same problem btw
    03-14-12 01:55 AM
    Ya, pretty annoying. Just checked my playbook and it has flash player version 11.1.121.21.
    03-14-12 02:05 AM
    Blocked here too, but the free Simple Browser works with the Firefox user-agent.
    RunSilent23 likes this.
    03-14-12 02:20 AM
    Blocked here too, but the free Simple Browser works with the Firefox user-agent.
    Thanks cbvinh, and thanks Hatax (Im pretty sure he made simple browser, right?). Thats pretty cool. I never even knew you could do that in the settings. Too bad for the common user who probably wouldn't figure that out or that don't read forums, and end up assuming there is something wrong with the PB.
    03-14-12 03:10 AM
    I wounder if you could even watch them on android?
    03-14-12 08:12 AM
    Just saw when I pause a show on my laptop theres an ad for the abc ipad app, hmmmm.
    I use the app religiously.

I find the actual website laggy...
    03-14-12 08:18 AM
    I really really wonder what is going on nowadays with changing things to "block" certain devices and saying this device is currently not supported even though it worked before. Also the thing that is remarkable is the fact that the affected devices are always the same ones, and certain others NEVER get affected. I'm not 100% positive that it is just being behind with Flash updates...just sayin'...
    Last edited by ralfyguy; 03-14-12 at 08:36 AM.
    03-14-12 08:33 AM
    I tried to watch something using SIMPLE BROWSER this morning & it said "this device is not supported" What a crock!! Why is the PlayBook getting the cold shoulder, the shaft, blacklisted?!

No Netflix, Partial Amazon Prime and now no ABC?! WTF!?

Something ain't right I tell ya!
    03-14-12 08:36 AM
    I tried to watch something using SIMPLE BROWSER this morning & it said "this device is not supported" What a crock!! Why is the PlayBook getting the cold shoulder, the shaft, blacklisted?!

No Netflix, Partial Amazon Prime and now no ABC?! WTF!?

Something ain't right I tell ya!
    You have to change your agent
    03-14-12 09:57 AM
    The thing that bothers me is these things working fine on the playbook and then its seems effort is actually being taken to make it so they don't work.
    03-14-12 11:54 AM
    I use the app religiously.

I find the actual website laggy...
    I think you do soemthing else religiously
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-14-12 11:54 AM
    I am actually trying right now from android and it does not appear to be working
    03-14-12 01:07 PM
    They are very clearly going out of their way to make sure it doesn't work on the playbook.
    03-14-12 01:12 PM
    I think you do soemthing else religiously
    Crap! Did I leave the web cam on again?!
    03-14-12 01:40 PM
    They are very clearly going out of their way to make sure it doesn't work on the playbook.
    No, they are clearly attempting to control access to content they own on mobile devices. If you are not using an approved device or are not using an approved browser or app, it blocks access. The same goes if you do not have the correct version of Flash (or a later version). It is also an issue for Android devices unless you use the app.
    03-14-12 02:11 PM
    No, they are clearly attempting to control access to content they own on mobile devices. If you are not using an approved device or are not using an approved browser or app, it blocks access. The same goes if you do not have the correct version of Flash (or a later version). It is also an issue for Android devices unless you use the app.
    There's so many things wrong with what you just said I just can't believe I read this ignorant post.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-14-12 02:27 PM
    ...I can watch the content on my Samsung Galaxy S (Verizon Fascinate) with no app. I was able to watch an episode of Castle directly on the smartphone's browser without a message that the OS is not supported. Why would they deem a PlayBook and PBOS an unapproved device/browser when it worked fine the day before?
    03-14-12 02:28 PM
    ...I can watch the content on my Samsung Galaxy S (Verizon Fascinate) with no app. I was able to watch an episode of Castle directly on the smartphone's browser without a message that the OS is not supported. Why would they deem a PlayBook and PBOS an unapproved device/browser when it worked fine the day before?
    It's just a matter of control for them. It's a business decision. They want to make sure they can maximize their profits from every bit of content they own. It appears they are making changes because they believe they can wring some more ad dollars out of a dedicated app than they can through online viewing with mobile devices. The bottom line is, they own the content. They can do what they want with it. I would like to have it available to me on all devices with no ads for free if I could. They would prefer I watch ONLY ads if they could.

Note I'm not saying I agree with their decision, but then again, they didn't ask me.
    03-14-12 03:36 PM
    It's just a matter of control for them. It's a business decision. They want to make sure they can maximize their profits from every bit of content they own. It appears they are making changes because they believe they can wring some more ad dollars out of a dedicated app than they can through online viewing with mobile devices. The bottom line is, they own the content. They can do what they want with it. I would like to have it available to me on all devices with no ads for free if I could. They would prefer I watch ONLY ads if they could.

Note I'm not saying I agree with their decision, but then again, they didn't ask me.
    Watching on a playbook is no different then watching on a desktop or laptop, why aren't they blocked there as well, I can take my laptop anywhere I want too. Thor needs to get on the phone right now to the Pres of ABC and have a little chat, because all they're doing is making it so less people are watching there site, in no way is it going to increase revenue from ads, it can only decrease, stone cold fact. There's nothing to control, this is just a real d*** move on there part.

note, I do not even watch abc.com or ANY networks site, I do not watch any sort of TV besides my slingbox on my devices. I just can't stand asinine moves like this, if you're going to have an app, there better dam well be a BB app as well then if that's the way they're going to go, but if not, blocking the PB is just a slap in the face.
    03-14-12 03:53 PM
    Watch on a android phone as I type. However I am new to the Playbook on had it a couple days. What is the simple web?
    03-14-12 04:26 PM
    Watch on a android phone as I type. However I am new to the Playbook on had it a couple days. What is the simple web?
    Simple browser? It's an app in app world.
    03-14-12 04:35 PM

Then why doesn't an Android phone need a dedicated app? (Especially when it is a year and a half old). It looks like RIM might need to create a user agent in the browser (similar to SimpleBrowser) to fool these websites into thinking we are using IE or Firefox on a desktop.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-14-12 04:39 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD