I enjoy listening to music and hearing movies through my headphones....but I also enjoy listening through "Bluetooth" speakers. Is it that difficult to install A2DP in a update since the PlayBook was released with ancient bluetooth hardware. I'm disappointed in RIM for not taking this into consideration during the last two (2) updates.
    06-12-11 02:56 PM
    I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who never uses this feature, and have a lot of other issues that are more important to me than this. For example, fixing the primitive media player app itself. It's coming, perhaps even in the next update.
    06-12-11 03:15 PM
    Yes, I consider it pretty silly for the Playbook NOT to have A2DP. Quite amazing, actually, for any such device to ship without that fundamental capability. I would like to use my Playbook as a wireless music server on my A2DP enabled home stereo system and am hoping this gets addressed sooner rather than later - despite the fact that SharpieFiend doesn't use it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jeffreybpc likes this.
    06-12-11 03:52 PM
    I have to agree with both sides.. While there are many things about the PB that need addressing more urgently than A2DP, I find it somewhat irritating that it's still not here.. Every device in the last couple years has had this capability, regardless of the OS, so I can't imagine what's preventing them from enabling it. I can't think of any security risk, and I can't imagine that QNX is the problem, so what's the deal?? Any ideas?
    06-12-11 08:01 PM
    I'm sure if DLNA is coming so is A2DP
    06-12-11 08:09 PM
    Must be very difficult to get done, how many updates and still can't get it added!
    06-12-11 08:33 PM
    My guess, and I'm not a techy type, is that the bluetooth is not capable of streaming music and accessing bridging programs at the same time. Not to mention that it would be a drag on the battery when there are more efficient ways to listen to music such as an mp3 player. Again, just a guess.

06-12-11 09:21 PM
    I have to agree with both sides.. While there are many things about the PB that need addressing more urgently than A2DP, I find it somewhat irritating that it's still not here.. Every device in the last couple years has had this capability, regardless of the OS, so I can't imagine what's preventing them from enabling it. I can't think of any security risk, and I can't imagine that QNX is the problem, so what's the deal?? Any ideas?
    I would assume that these bluetooth engineers are part of the overall wireless stacks team that got diverted to cellular side --- because 3G/4G playbook is behind schedule.
    06-12-11 09:39 PM
    My guess, and I'm not a techy type, is that the bluetooth is not capable of streaming music and accessing bridging programs at the same time. Not to mention that it would be a drag on the battery when there are more efficient ways to listen to music such as an mp3 player. Again, just a guess.

Well I can use bridge while my BB Torch is connected to a headset, so the Playbook should be able to do that easily. And regardless of what it might do to the battery, it's things like this that are holding the playbook back. It does some amazing things, but why are so many of the basics left out in the cold? I watch videos, not music, with the Playbook, and I hate cords. I realize not everyone has bluetooth headphones or a bluetooth receiver, but it's 2011 & this is pretty basic stuff in the tech world.
    06-12-11 09:40 PM
    I would assume that these bluetooth engineers are part of the overall wireless stacks team that got diverted to cellular side --- because 3G/4G playbook is behind schedule.
    How is it 'behind schedule'? RIM always said summer, and it's not even summer yet.
    06-12-11 09:41 PM
    How is it 'behind schedule'? RIM always said summer, and it's not even summer yet.
    They need these QNX cellular stacks so they can start building for QNX-handsets.

And we haven't even talked about how BB7 handsets are behind schedule --- they should be out already.
    06-12-11 09:51 PM
    Well I can use bridge while my BB Torch is connected to a headset, so the Playbook should be able to do that easily. And regardless of what it might do to the battery, it's things like this that are holding the playbook back. It does some amazing things, but why are so many of the basics left out in the cold? I watch videos, not music, with the Playbook, and I hate cords. I realize not everyone has bluetooth headphones or a bluetooth receiver, but it's 2011 & this is pretty basic stuff in the tech world.
    I was unaware that you could bridge and stream on the Torch at the same time. The last time I used a bluetooth headset was with a motorola s9 years ago. I stopped using it because it would only work for a few hours before the batteries would run down. I agree, not having the bt streaming does seem to hold the PlayBook back now, but despite that, it is still a great tablet that will be even greater when that feature is updated.

06-12-11 10:16 PM
    Should this thread be titled A2DP what is it? Haven't a clue, even after reading all the posts.
    06-12-11 10:20 PM
    Should this thread be titled A2DP what is it? Haven't a clue, even after reading all the posts.
    In laymens terms, A2DP means that you can stream audio over bluetooth.
    06-12-11 10:54 PM
    It is STEREO audio over Bluetooth. Many people pair their mobile devices with Bluetooth headphones, Bluetooth car stereo's, and Bluetooth Home systems for wireless stereo music streaming.

Honestly, it is a pretty basic function of mobile and portable devices of all kinds these days. I'd be surprised to find any other similar product introduced in the last year or two that does not include that feature.
    06-18-11 09:04 AM
    I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a thread in the Blackberry community forums where they said it was coming, just not implemented yet. I'm guessing the Bluetooth guys have been busy implementing all the recent improvements with the Bridge apps..
    06-18-11 09:06 AM
    I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a thread in the Blackberry community forums where they said it was coming, just not implemented yet. I'm guessing the Bluetooth guys have been busy implementing all the recent improvements with the Bridge apps..
    I didn't see that, but yes - I do expect it to come eventually.
    06-18-11 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD