There's been a fair bit of talk about a Touchpad-esque fire sale on the Playbooks. I don't think that this will happen. First, a little info.

We know that RIM has an inventory of at least $1 billion worth of hardware. A good percentage of this is Playbooks.
    RIM to writedown unsold BlackBerry, PlayBook inventory - SlashGear
    The playbook (16GB) currently retails for ~$199. RIM is already taking a loss at this price.
    The Playbook hardware is not getting any newer.

So it's pretty easy to see why a lot of people are crying "Firesale".
    But the big difference between HP and RIM in this situation is that HP were getting out of the table market. I don't think RIM will do this.

So what to do with a surplus of ageing tablets if not sell them at bargain basement prices?

Donate them to schools!

Think of how this would work for RIM. They donate several hundred thousand playbooks to schools and take a tax write-off. They don't lose any more money than they would by clearing them at $99 and they dump the majority of their inventory quickly.

Here's the kicker: you're exposing kids to Blackberry products every day of their lives. Kids will start recognizing Blackberry products rather than assuming everything is an iPad.
    This will also create a HUGE market for developers.
    bungaboy, calles, Cracklen and 4 others like this.
    06-04-12 05:35 PM
    "They donate several hundred thousand playbooks to schools and take a tax write-off"

Man, they should.

Just wanted to say it, made me logged in for the first time in a year or so.

Peace
    06-04-12 06:02 PM
    I could see them being packaged with new BB purchases before being donated. Such as purchase that new BB 10 and get a PB for 100 bucks.
    06-04-12 06:08 PM
    i thought the 1 billion was mostly BB7 devices, they already took a hefty loss on the PB 2 quarters ago
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-04-12 06:10 PM
    i thought the 1 billion was mostly BB7 devices, they already took a hefty loss on the PB 2 quarters ago
    They already wrote down about $3/4 billion against Playbooks and BB7 devices in the last 2 quarters. Kind of have to assume that the $1 billion in inventory is a combination of the same devices...what else would they have in there?
    06-04-12 06:12 PM
    I don't think there will be a fire sale, unless they want to cut playbook. remember playbook has close relation with BB 10, which is RIM's future.
    06-04-12 06:52 PM
    Didn't HP fire the fool that killed their tablet program?

They could have been a player from what I read.

To the OP, don't worry about things you have no control over.
    neilmann likes this.
    06-04-12 07:10 PM
    I think most of the write-down is on BB7 devices as well...think they've written off a good chunk of the playbook inventory already...
    06-04-12 07:11 PM
    There's been a fair bit of talk about a Touchpad-esque fire sale on the Playbooks. I don't think that this will happen. First, a little info.

We know that RIM has an inventory of at least $1 billion worth of hardware. A good percentage of this is Playbooks.
    RIM to writedown unsold BlackBerry, PlayBook inventory - SlashGear
    The playbook (16GB) currently retails for ~$199. RIM is already taking a loss at this price.
    The Playbook hardware is not getting any newer.

So it's pretty easy to see why a lot of people are crying "Firesale".
    But the big difference between HP and RIM in this situation is that HP were getting out of the table market. I don't think RIM will do this.

So what to do with a surplus of ageing tablets if not sell them at bargain basement prices?

Donate them to schools!

Think of how this would work for RIM. They donate several hundred thousand playbooks to schools and take a tax write-off. They don't lose any more money than they would by clearing them at $99 and they dump the majority of their inventory quickly.

Here's the kicker: you're exposing kids to Blackberry products every day of their lives. Kids will start recognizing Blackberry products rather than assuming everything is an iPad.
    This will also create a HUGE market for developers.
    That is a great idea.. I was thinking that too.. Just get them into the hands of people, and i would think that would generate a bit of revenue
    06-04-12 07:12 PM
    There is no one billion dollars in bb7 or playbook in inventory. Over 500 million of the inventory is raw materials and another 200 million plus is work in progress.
    06-04-12 07:25 PM
    They already wrote down about $3/4 billion against Playbooks and BB7 devices in the last 2 quarters. Kind of have to assume that the $1 billion in inventory is a combination of the same devices...what else would they have in there?
    Never assume anything as you make an out U and ME!
    06-04-12 07:47 PM
    There is no one billion dollars in bb7 or playbook in inventory. Over 500 million of the inventory is raw materials and another 200 million plus is work in progress.
    The ~billion is in unsold devices. It doesn't count the raw material. Stop making up numbers.
    06-04-12 07:51 PM
    Personally, I don't think we're very likely to experience a "firesale" in the tablet market anytime soon, especially to the same magnitude HP did with the touchpad... That was an EXTREME situation that was handled very poorly...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-04-12 07:52 PM
    Never assume anything as you make an out U and ME!
    The only people I ever hear touting out that line have unequivocally been idiots.
    06-04-12 08:29 PM
    Lot's of wishful thinking... If the next OS doesn't reboot RIM their days are seriously numbered. You can only sink so low before you liquidate and run.
    BerryOttawa likes this.
    06-04-12 09:01 PM
    Did you read the statement:

"RIM may be"

The esteemed 'writer' knows more than RIM execs.

My mother-in-law has a friend, who knows the guy, who ... and said the same thung.
    06-04-12 09:58 PM
    Did you read the statement:

"RIM may be"

The esteemed 'writer' knows more than RIM execs.

My mother-in-law has a friend, who knows the guy, who ... and said the same thung.
    1. This isn't meant to be a thread about that article, there's been lots of those already.
    2. I choose one of hundreds of articles about the same RIM inventory problem. Choose your poison: playbook inventory - Google Search
    06-04-12 10:07 PM
    Some of those articles mention soaring stockpiles of product ..where a while back it was mentioned (or was it presumed) manufacturing of (ie) the Pb had ceased. LOL

These threads are like watching a 'dog' chase its own tail, or licking its ....
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-05-12 01:14 AM

Donate them to schools!
    Not likely and resist having them turned down as the schools rather buy ipads and face a monumental embarrassment. I dont care for ipads but honestly they are more choiceworthy for schools and their students.
    06-05-12 05:52 AM
    Not likely and resist having them turned down as the schools rather buy ipads and face a monumental embarrassment. I dont care for ipads but honestly they are more choiceworthy for schools and their students.
    Hmmm.. I don't think any schools would refuse donated playbooks. That would be just stupid on their part. Schools around here accept donated computers, etc. why not brand new fully functioning playbooks. Holding out for ipads only.. I don't think so...
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-05-12 06:07 AM
    Are you serious or just joking? Have you ever worked at a school? I guarantee most wouldn't turn down any charity. The technology in most schools is ancient and having a class set of tablets would be a wonderful teaching aide.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-05-12 08:13 AM
    Re: donating and similar.....

When (if???) widely deployed in business, is there a way to get the pb already updated with the proper OS or does each individual one have to be tediously updated using the wifi method we commoners have to go through. I can seriously see that as a deterrent.
    06-05-12 10:12 AM
    The only people I ever hear touting out that line have unequivocally been idiots.
    It was a joke!!! Try not to be a cyber hero!
    06-05-12 11:43 AM
    +1 for the "mostly BB7 devices" statement.
    [speculation]
    Those BB7 devices will probably be used for "free upgrades" in large fleets to maintain subscriptions.
    06-05-12 12:13 PM
    They should sell them to schools. Nice idea
    06-05-12 01:07 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD