Hi,guys, i want to get my first HDTV on saturday,and it would ba a 42 inches tv.its been tough deciding between a 720p HD plasma and a 1080 HD LCD.
    The plasma is cheaper than the LCD.i just want something basic.
    I want to find out if.
    1.The issue of burn out and image retention is still a problem on recent plasma tvs.the one i'm considering was manufactured in 2011

2.The playbook will connect flawlessly with the TV,without giving me half images with boaders when i project stuffs like movies and my browser,using an hdmi cable from the PB to the TV?

3.Is there any disadvantage going for the 720p plasma tv over the 1080p LCD tv,as in, will d difference in screen resolutions be so obvious?

4.Is the 720p plasma a good buy? Considerin the fact that i dont want to spend too much money on tv?

I'll apprecite your responses.thanx.
    06-19-12 02:05 PM
    2. Yes.

For the rest you're better off visiting a TV-centric forum to get the best answers possible.
    06-19-12 02:14 PM
    Hi,guys, i want to get my first HDTV on saturday,and it would ba a 42 inches tv.its been tough deciding between a 720p HD plasma and a 1080 HD LCD.

2.The playbook will connect flawlessly with the TV,without giving me half images with boaders when i project stuffs like movies and my browser,using an hdmi cable from the PB to the TV?

I'll apprecite your responses.thanx.
    Hi Dan

The PB will be fine with either option

You will probably have to fiddle a little with both the PB settings (aspect ratio, etc), as well as possibly with your TV settings (some TV's have autofill, letterbox settings that may or may not be default, etc)

Re: watching PB movies on your TV (which I do all the time) - the higher resolution you rip the movies to, the better the image you will get on the TV screen

Recommend you get a good quality HDMI cable

All the best

Alex
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 06-21-12 at 03:08 AM.
    06-19-12 02:43 PM
    You will only see a difference if you watch 1080 content.
    Most of the HD shows and movies from my cable provider is 720. For me there was little reason to spend more for 1080.

I had burn in problems with my first LCD but not my plasma. Sometimes watching something with a logo on the screen, like sports for hours, I get a ghosting effect of the logo but it always goes away.

Good luck.
    06-19-12 02:46 PM
    I hook my PlayBook up to a 720 tv, mostly to show presentations and then videos.

As stated above, you might have to fiddle with the TV and PlayBook settings on the first try to make things look like how you want them to.
    06-19-12 02:47 PM
    Some folks have noticed that plasma tv's can interfere with the pb which can start acting as if the screen is constantly touched or swiped but not everyone has experienced that.

On TV, the very shinny plasma surface can be bad in a room with lots of windows as they reflect in the surface.
    06-19-12 02:58 PM
    I would go with the LCD set.

Reason(s):

1. They are still sensitive to "burn-in". Even with the "screen wipers" in the tv, you will get a burn in if you stay on the same channel for a looong time. I had a Plasma that was given to me and they watched ALOT of Animal Planet. I could see the ghost image on the bottom. Also, they do have a finite life.

2. And look at almost every TV channel, and they have either a crawl, banner or logo somewhere on the screen. It's not a Moving Picture (Sorry to the band Rush), but it will burn in. (see 1 above.)

3. Plasmas have been known to cause some wierd effects on the Playbook if to close when plugged into the TV. Get a 12 foot HIGH QUALITY cable. Not all cables are alike.

4. THe GOOD thing about Plasma TV's is that they do give warmer/more lifelike colors than their LCD Counterparts (again, sorry Rush).

Go with the LCD TV, make sure you have at least 120hz refreash rate, 60 Hz is just "old school" now. (the 240 rate is a good chunk of change and you won't notice the difference. A lot of the source over cable has been compressed anyway.

AND go with the 1080.

You will get a lot longer enjoyment out of the LCD vs a Plasma (and Plasmas start at the 52" class.)

C
    06-19-12 03:01 PM
    I would recommend a LED HDTV which mostly negates most of the deficiencies with either LCD or Plasma HDTVs. For my computer monitor / tablet monitor I have a basic LCD HDTV which works very well; a LED would simply be a bit more energy efficient and be less prone to pixel burnout as the years pass.
    06-19-12 04:54 PM
    Works fine with my plasma 720p. Sometimes I do watch non hd with the screen and bars on the sides. I can see the lines when watching hd now so they do burn some.
    06-19-12 05:09 PM
    I can barely tell the difference when watching 720p videos from my playbook to my 42" LCD TV (which is also 720p). But 1080p content seem to be a bit crisper but it's hard to tell unless im like 3 feet away from my TV.
    06-19-12 06:41 PM
    Not to be rude to everyone above me, but the HDMI cables can be any physical quality. It's digital output, meaning it will look the same with every one, it is either on or off for the content.
    Fenrir26 likes this.
    06-20-12 02:19 AM
    newer plasma screens have no issues with "burn-in" images and the colors are more lifelike.

But I do have to say LEDs are lighter and thinner.
    06-20-12 04:57 AM
    I would go with the LCD set.

Reason(s):

1. They are still sensitive to "burn-in". Even with the "screen wipers" in the tv, you will get a burn in if you stay on the same channel for a looong time. I had a Plasma that was given to me and they watched ALOT of Animal Planet. I could see the ghost image on the bottom. Also, they do have a finite life.

2. And look at almost every TV channel, and they have either a crawl, banner or logo somewhere on the screen. It's not a Moving Picture (Sorry to the band Rush), but it will burn in. (see 1 above.)

3. Plasmas have been known to cause some wierd effects on the Playbook if to close when plugged into the TV. Get a 12 foot HIGH QUALITY cable. Not all cables are alike.

4. THe GOOD thing about Plasma TV's is that they do give warmer/more lifelike colors than their LCD Counterparts (again, sorry Rush).

Go with the LCD TV, make sure you have at least 120hz refreash rate, 60 Hz is just "old school" now. (the 240 rate is a good chunk of change and you won't notice the difference. A lot of the source over cable has been compressed anyway.

AND go with the 1080.

You will get a lot longer enjoyment out of the LCD vs a Plasma (and Plasmas start at the 52" class.)

C
    I have heard that burn-in is no longer an issue with Plasma, and that they have a longer life than LCD. And the screens are more durable physically.

As for 720p vs 1080, there will be videophiles who will tell you there is a difference.... I can't tell unless I am standing 3 feet from the TV like someone else said earlier in the thread. I'm sure there is a difference, but it really just depends on if YOU see that difference. From how far away I view my TV, and the media I watch, I don't. I saved myself some money and bought 720p when I bought a tv recently and have been extremely happy.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 06-20-12 at 05:20 AM.
    06-20-12 05:17 AM
    Thanx guys,i'm grateful for the responses.please keep them coming.thanx once again.
    06-20-12 11:09 AM
    Not to be rude to everyone above me, but the HDMI cables can be any physical quality. It's digital output, meaning it will look the same with every one, it is either on or off for the content.
    True, a digital signal does not care how its being broadcast, its either there or it isn't. OP don't fall for the monster cable mentality, the only time a cables quality comes into question is if it is shielded better against interference from other devices and cables. Go to Amazon.com or something, you can get a decent cable and it will work fine with your Playbook for a couple bucks +shipping.

Most other comments are spot on. Get yourself a decent LCD 720p or 1080p. Doesn't have to be 120hz, 60hz will work just fine unless you are looking for extra bells and whistles. Only thing I can add is look for response time, 5ms or less should suit you just fine.
    06-20-12 11:20 AM
    There are a lot of myths about TV technology.
    Plasmas start at the 52" class? Wrong. Plasmas start at the 42" class.
    Burn-in problem with plasma is very unlikely. You will see the ghost of an image after turning off the TV, this is not burn-in. I have been using a plasma TV for the past four years without burn-in.
    There is nothing wrong about buying either plasma of LCD technology but, at this point, you will get more for your money with plasma.
    It is only possible to see a difference between 720p and 1080p if you are supplying the TV with a 1080p signal. Even then it would have to be a very good quality image to spot the difference.
    06-20-12 08:15 PM
    There are a lot of myths about TV technology.
    Plasmas start at the 52" class? Wrong. Plasmas start at the 42" class.
    Burn-in problem with plasma is very unlikely. You will see the ghost of an image after turning off the TV, this is not burn-in. I have been using a plasma TV for the past four years without burn-in.
    There is nothing wrong about buying either plasma of LCD technology but, at this point, you will get more for your money with plasma.
    It is only possible to see a difference between 720p and 1080p if you are supplying the TV with a 1080p signal. Even then it would have to be a very good quality image to spot the difference.
    So I won't have problems on my plasma leaving the TV on one station,say, CNN for a long period,apart from ghosting when the tv is. Switched off? Because i cud leave my tv on a station for more than 7hours at a time.

Thanx,all for your inputs
    06-21-12 03:06 AM
    So I won't have problems on my plasma leaving the TV on one station,say, CNN for a long period,apart from ghosting when the tv is. Switched off? Because i cud leave my tv on a station for more than 7hours at a time.

Thanx,all for your inputs
    Unnecessary energy consumption will lead to the environment pollution. So maybe after all it would be worth switching either plasma or LCD TV off while not in use?
    06-21-12 05:27 AM
    That can happen with LCD and plasma. I think over the years it has gotten better an it's not much of an issue anymore. My first LCD had permanent image retention while the plasma I bought 2 years ago(samsung)is fine.
    If I leave the TV (for hours) on a SD channel that has the black borders on side, I can see it a bit when I change to full screen, but it only last for minutes. Nothing permanent.

I have been happy with the Samsung and will probably buy the same brand next time. Unless my cable company starts broadcasting more shows in 1080 then I will stay with 720 too.
    06-21-12 05:54 AM
    Thanx guys
    06-22-12 05:43 AM
    dan, where will you be putting this TV? If it going to be in a well lit space with lots of ambient lighting, I would reccommend an LCD or more recently, and LED LCD. If it will be going into a basement rec room or something similar, Plasma is still the preferred choice of many videophiles. Plasma still has deeper blacks and a much higher refresh rate than LCD's as well. The higher end LCD's are around 240hz right now I think and boy do you ever pay $$ for it. My 2010 model Plasma is 600hz, and my LCD is 120hz. And yes I do visibly notice the difference between my LCD upstairs and my plasma in the basement. As for burn-in, it's extremely hard to permanently burn modern plasmas. You may get ghosting from a station logo left on for hours and hours, but even those fade after a few days. There's a difference between perma burn-in and temporary ghosting, and most people mistake the ghosting for burn-in. Burn in hasn't been a problem for years now, and most of what you read on google searches about it are myth. a 2011 model is safe as long as it's a decent brand (not sure how safe a 720p is though. I would be suspicious that a budget rate plasma might not have good enough image retention protection).

Like an earlier post said here, you really should hit some HDTV tech websites to do your research. If you do decide to buy a plasma, I wouldn't get the 720p, I would get a full 1080p or not at all. Don't buy your resolution based on HD television stations, buy it based on Blu-ray movies. This is just my opinion, but I care a lot more about how well the effects in a movie I'm watching renders than I do about how HD a hockey game on TV is. One important thing to note about resolution - on a 42" screen, you're not really going to be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. However on the monster 60" TV's yes you will. I'm speaking of Bluray movies though, not HD TV stations. I don't bother with those so I can't comment.

As for 3D, I find that it's harder and harder to find TV's in stock at larger screen sizes that don't have it. I got lucky and grabbed my Vierra 58" plasma in the spring of 2011 for a steal of a price with no 3D built in because it was a 2010 model still in stock at a private family run but well known electronics store in Toronto called G&G electronics. I don't want to pay for a technology I prefer not to have, and 3D movies cause me eye strain, so I only see them maybe 3-4x per year at a theatre.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 06-22-12 at 11:04 AM.
    06-22-12 10:51 AM
    Aside from what everybody else told you, you might want to review your gamma settings. Darker videos may look extremely glossy
    06-22-12 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD