do you guys think with the development of wireless hard drives, flash cards, thumbs drives, and gb worth of online storage, is there still a viable market for different hard drive capacity models?

when the bigger hard drive models costed 1-200 dollars more for a mere extra 32 or 48 gb of memory, I could buy a wifi 500gb hard drive for that price.

I understand that now you have to lug another portable thing around with you, but you also forget we can plug it in, but the added hard drive space is far superior then just 50 extra gb, we are talking about hundred, and its safe to say hard drive prices will drop even more, next year we maybe talking about getting a 1tb wifi hard drive between 1-200 bucks.

I am predicting that my next sd card for my phone will be wifi, and i will hopefully be able to drag and drop stuff and use my phone as a portable hard drive for the playbook.

no more of this 64gb vs 32gb vs 16gb crap, lets bring on the wifi sharing with all mobile storage devices
    01-28-12 02:01 PM
    You acknowledge it, but you still overlook the portability factor. I'm not carrying a hard drive with me. I wish there were a 128 GB PlayBook -- with an SD card slot to boot.
    artie likes this.
    01-28-12 03:11 PM
    Well, an wi-fi (eye-fi?) sd card that would remain in my camera but talk to the pb would be exceptional. I'm not sure such solutions exist.
    01-28-12 04:32 PM
    I would love an sd card slot as well. I'm kinda surprised this doesn't have one, really.
    artie likes this.
    01-28-12 04:35 PM
    Yeah, if they introduce an SD slot in Playbook 2.0, I doubt that anybody will pay the extra $100 to go beyond 32Gb, which should be more than sufficient for games and apps for most users.
    01-28-12 04:39 PM
    A 16GB PB with a SD card would be great but there must be some market for tablets with extra memory since some of the android tablets with SD card slots/USB ports are available with 16/32GB i.e., thrive + iconia
    Last edited by AggreX; 01-28-12 at 06:00 PM.
    01-28-12 05:54 PM
    Yeah, if they introduce an SD slot in Playbook 2.0, I doubt that anybody will pay the extra $100 to go beyond 32Gb, which should be more than sufficient for games and apps for most users.
    Well..since the 32GB and 64GB are the same price right now, it's a no brainer which to get.

Local futureshop has stacks of 16 and 32 but sold out of the 64.
    01-28-12 05:56 PM
    i think that with all the cloud services out there 32 is a good start and 'power users, may want to get 64. but to be honest i have 50gb of storage on box and about 10 on dropbox so with my 32gb PB i actually have 92gb to access. not to mention that you dont really need to store music and videos on the PB bc you can pretty much stream anything if you know where to look
    01-28-12 06:12 PM
    cloud storage is useless without a wifi access... I'll take more on-device storage anytime before cloud.
    01-28-12 08:36 PM
    cloud storage is useless without a wifi access... I'll take more on-device storage anytime before cloud.
    are you really going to be somewhere for 64gb worth of movies without ever having wifi access?

lets say you have the 32 gb and use 15gb for movies... that is roughly 30 hours of video that you have. you would need to charge the playbook at least 4 times for that amount of video to be played... at any one of those times you can delete already played videos and download one of the ones you have stored on the cloud for use without wifi later on.

Yes HANDS DOWN get the 64gb one for $299 (i wish i could have got it bc i paid my 32gb that price)... but you are not LIMITED to the on board storage anymore.

and if you have unlimited data on your BB...
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-28-12 09:50 PM
    Well..since the 32GB and 64GB are the same price right now, it's a no brainer which to get.

Local futureshop has stacks of 16 and 32 but sold out of the 64.
    Absolutely!!
    01-29-12 12:57 AM
    64GB is the winner, no need to sum it up period.
    the more the better.
    I think the OP was right, there's much more to it than that.
    At current pricing where all sizes are the same, obviously you're going to have an easy choice. It's at the other pricing where units are priced differently that you have to decide.

For me the 16GB for $200 was a no brainer for 1 very simple reason: my movie files total about 500 GB. spending an extra $100 for another 48GB that still doesn't help me was out of the question. For every day use I still can't fill 16 GB. For travel I have 516 GB.

Most of the commonly stated justifications I've seen for larger units seemed redundant to me. ie:
    music. the industry has always moved towards smaller and smaller portability for music. Now all of a sudden once people become tablet owners they would rather have a gigantic mp3 player. I prefer my music to stay on my phone which, if my tablet is going to be with me, my phone most surely will.

pictures. I occasionally see people taking pics with their tablets. Aside from how goofy they look, I refer back to my point about size. The smaller, and more lightweight the camera, the better. Once someone buys a tablet they suddenly want to revert back to the old days of giant cameras. If I'm on vacation and want those memories in as high quality as I can, you can bet I'm taking an actual camera. If I'm taking a pic of my friends at the pub, my phone is up to that task.

apps. do you have any idea how many apps I have on my phone, and yet they don't even surpass 1GB.

All 3 are $300: yep, that's about the only reason I would have.
    Kerrstar likes this.
    01-29-12 08:01 AM
    I bought my 16GB PB in the UK for �169. Last week I saw a 64GB on sale at an airport for �252 and I immediately wished that I had waited to buy. Yesterday though, I found out that my Box for Playbook registration had conformed 50GB of free storage, so I now have 66GB available.
    I'm not a power user and immediate access to my data is not necessary.
    FSeverino likes this.
    01-29-12 08:07 AM
    I bought my 16GB PB in the UK for �169. Last week I saw a 64GB on sale at an airport for �252 and I immediately wished that I had waited to buy. Yesterday though, I found out that my Box for Playbook registration had conformed 50GB of free storage, so I now have 66GB available.
    I'm not a power user and immediate access to my data is not necessary.
    just a quick FYI for ya in case you didn't find out yet, Box limits your file sizes to 100MB so unfortunately using it to store video files is a no-go.
    01-29-12 08:12 AM
    just a quick FYI for ya in case you didn't find out yet, Box limits your file sizes to 100MB so unfortunately using it to store video files is a no-go.
    OK, thanks for that. I will still have plenty of uses for this 50GB.
    01-29-12 08:54 AM
    np there's still quite a few other options. you can use seagate's wireless HD, there are mini sized wireless thumb drives coming soon from Kingston, and you can marry a phone's sd card to a playbook really easily. My phone has a 32 GB sd card in it which I can access from my PB. The great thing about all these optioms is you also get to use them with other devices besides just the PB
    01-29-12 09:08 AM
    You can use dropbox and get up to 18GB of storage with a larger file size limit.

if you use my link to sign up you will get an extra 500MB of storage bringing your initial start to 2.5GB

http://db.tt/uYVmlxa
    01-29-12 02:00 PM
    np there's still quite a few other options. you can use seagate's wireless HD, there are mini sized wireless thumb drives coming soon from Kingston, and you can marry a phone's sd card to a playbook really easily. My phone has a 32 GB sd card in it which I can access from my PB. The great thing about all these optioms is you also get to use them with other devices besides just the PB
    how do you access your phones SD-card through playbook? I need to know if this can be done on my HTC EVO, TIA
    02-01-12 07:59 PM
    how do you access your phones SD-card through playbook? I need to know if this can be done on my HTC EVO, TIA
    This can be accessed via "Bridge Files" icon
    02-01-12 09:13 PM
    Android app called Wifi File Explorer. Make sure your mobile hotspot is on then start the app. You can stream as well as move files with it

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    02-02-12 06:28 PM
    I am also looking to purchase a PB, but even though the 64gb is a great price, I can probably justify the 16gb to start with. One thing I don't understand is that on shop blackberry they have SanDisk microSD Cards, are these replacements, or is there a place to put an expansion card in the pb.
    Thanks
    02-03-12 08:31 PM
    the PB DOES NOT have a expansion card slot for any portable flash media.

however with the release of 2.0 there are rumors the micro usb port may function as a read/write port which will allow the addition of portable hard drive/thumb drives MAYBE used for additional storage.

if you root it, it is possible, unknown what RIM 2.0 can or cannot do
    mike in nc likes this.
    02-03-12 09:33 PM
    32 gb is just the right size for my needs. I also have all the extra space I could ever need on Box, so I'm happy as a clam.
    02-04-12 02:11 AM
    i have the 32gb since that was the best deal i could get here in manila, but, if i was in conus and had access to the64gbs on sale, iwould have gotten 3 of them
    02-04-12 02:56 AM
    32 gb is just the right size for my needs. I also have all the extra space I could ever need on Box, so I'm happy as a clam.
    Extra space on Box? Not a bp owner yet, could you explain Box?
    thanks
    02-04-12 08:03 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD