Admittedly, $100 was a SWAG. But I think we can agree that Amazon recovers the $100 in say, a year. $15 per Kindle book?

Or ten years.

One one hundredth the time it would take RIM to recover their loss if someone purchased all the content RIM sells every time they purchased a playbook.

My point is, Amazon has figured out a way to profit from the sale of a reader at a loss, and is doing it. RIM might have a PLAN to do it, which is not the same as having a history of doing it.
    There is lots of ways to make money, before buying the playbook, I wasn`t as intrigued about my next phone being black berry phone. Now I`ll likely get one of the bbx ones once they are available, if they share the same build quality and work well (I have an Iphone, that I use less and less these days other than for ordinary phone activity, calls and texts).
    Last edited by blue-b; 01-05-12 at 06:18 PM.
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-05-12 06:12 PM
    Received my 16 gig Playbook $199 today from Sprint, very fast shipping.
    01-05-12 08:28 PM
    I'll believe it when I see many people ordering them and getting them successfully without any cancellations.
    ordered the 64gb PB on 1/1/2012 and received it today with 2 day express shipping.

Brand new and sealed. Got the wifi sharing/transfer to work also. Sweet!!
    awesker3#WN and fj_cruiser like this.
    01-05-12 08:39 PM
    ordered the 64gb PB on 1/1/2012 and received it today with 2 day express shipping.

Brand new and sealed. Got the wifi sharing/transfer to work also. Sweet!!
    Very nice, that's a sweet deal. Congrats!
    01-05-12 10:06 PM
    The 299 deal is now available from SBB Canada, BB, etc.
    lma13 likes this.
    01-06-12 10:21 AM
    Just bought a second PB 64 gb online at the source in Canada (radio Shack) for $299.They also have some bundled packages.
    01-06-12 10:31 AM
    Woo! My order status is now Shipped! With any luck I'll get it by Monday or Tuesday. I'd love to get it tomorrow so I could have the whole weekend to play with it, but I'm not holding my breath.

I would pick one up for 300 if my gym had wifi.
    If my gym had wifi I'd spend even more time there than I currently do!
    Pearl9100 and Chrisy like this.
    01-06-12 12:31 PM
    Blackberry had no problem charging for for the 16gb at $199, but when I go to order the 64gb at $299, all of a sudden my CC is not good enough and I gat this:

Dear Mr. Young,

For unknown reasons your order failed and will only be reinstated by following the instructions below.
    As part of an industry standard fraud detection system, some orders that were placed with ShopBlackBerry for the recent BlackBerry PlayBook promotion were flagged as being a high-risk transaction. Customers who received these notices can contact ShopBlackBerry via email at [email protected], quoting their order number, and ShopBlackBerry will assist them with working through their order. All legitimate orders that have been placed within the promotional period will be honored.

We offer different payment options to customers that have had their orders cancelled due to being flagged as high risk. If you are going to be sending a wire transfer please email the transfer reference number from your bank, the date it was sent, the total amount of transfer and the product it�s for (SBB979626763179). You may also call in and provide this information. Please allow 2-3 business days for funds to be cleared before order is reinstated.

Gleth likes this.
    01-06-12 02:28 PM
    I'm curious if anyone who has received the 64GB PB has a recessed power button or the slightly raised one? Also, does yours lie flat on a table or have a slight bulge on the back? It seems these attributes are associated with when they were made. Recessed power buttons seem to paired with perfectly flat backs, while raised power buttons seem to be paired with a slight bulge.
    01-06-12 03:20 PM
    Ordered my 64G PB on Wednesday and received it today.

As for all the rumors about the PB only time will tell. However, for $299 for the 64G models and enough apps for what I need it for I believe I got a good deal.
    Last edited by ftatul; 01-06-12 at 03:43 PM.
    01-06-12 03:36 PM
    A few days ago when I was a Best Buy "eye shopping" I finally saw that they put the 16GB Playbook on sale for $199. Too bad I didn't have my wallet on me so I waited until Wednsday (two days ago) and went back and it went back to $499. I saw the $299 every playbook deal and saw no more $199 16GB deals so I jumped on the 64GB.

I ordered my 64GB Playbook for $299 Wednesday (1/4/2012). Thursday the status was at "Inventory Hold" and today, Friday I got three shipping confirmed emails instead of one.

One thing I don't understand it shows shipping costing $17.15 though I used free shipping, but the total/billing total is $299. I'll just have to check my bank statement for that.

.:edit:.

oh yea and there was no shipping/tracking number on the shipping confirmation email or at the site. I wonder if they'll send me one later.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-06-12 03:51 PM
    "Electronics retailer Best Buy reported a 1.2% drop in December same-store sales on slow customer traffic and weakness in the gaming and digital-imaging segments. - Retail Sales Show Slack" Wall Street Journal
    doxa sub750T likes this.
    01-06-12 03:55 PM
    A few days ago when I was a Best Buy "eye shopping" I finally saw that they put the 16GB Playbook on sale for $199. Too bad I didn't have my wallet on me so I waited until Wednsday (two days ago) and went back and it went back to $499. I saw the $299 every playbook deal and saw no more $199 16GB deals so I jumped on the 64GB.

I ordered my 64GB Playbook for $299 Wednesday (1/4/2012). Thursday the status was at "Inventory Hold" and today, Friday I got three shipping confirmed emails instead of one.

One thing I don't understand it shows shipping costing $17.15 though I used free shipping, but the total/billing total is $299. I'll just have to check my bank statement for that.

oh yea and there was no shipping/tracking number on the shipping confirmation email or at the site. I wonder if they'll send me one later.
    They did the same thing to me but I was not charged for it. I guess they want you to know how much shipping would have been. I received an email with the tracking number the day after it was shipped.
    01-06-12 04:08 PM
    I'm curious if anyone who has received the 64GB PB has a recessed power button or the slightly raised one? Also, does yours lie flat on a table or have a slight bulge on the back? It seems these attributes are associated with when they were made. Recessed power buttons seem to paired with perfectly flat backs, while raised power buttons seem to be paired with a slight bulge.
    I received it with the raised button but it lays flat on my table.
    01-06-12 04:10 PM
    I have a slightly protruding button (1 mm?) with a flat back
    01-06-12 04:16 PM
    Where a tracking number SHOULD be on mine, it says "not applicable for pos."
    01-06-12 04:19 PM
    They did the same thing to me but I was not charged for it. I guess they want you to know how much shipping would have been. I received an email with the tracking number the day after it was shipped.
    Thanks for the reply, I guess I don't have to check my statements online then. So by the looks of other comments and yours they tried fixing the problem with the power button by having it raised up a little, right?

@pantlesspenguin

I got the same phrase "not applicable for pos", but ftatul said he received another email with tracking number the next day
    01-06-12 04:21 PM
    I bought a $199 16GB Playbook when Best Buy had them before the holidays. After that, I looked all over for a small tablet I liked better to give my wife as a Christmas present. I simply couldn't find one, so I gave her the Playbook under the tree.

Just bought a Transformer Prime which is a damned nice/fast 10-inch Android tablet and have been enjoying it. But today my wife asked me about running the Internet radio apps on her Playbook so I took it in hand again to show her. My first words, "Damn, that tablet feels good in your hand." Then I was reminded of the speed and interface convenience while setting it up for her...

I handed it back and immediately went online and bought one of the 64GB Playbooks from RIM's website.

The Playbook is one excellent 7-inch tablet, the best on the market IMO. Too bad it's a well-kept secret. The Transformer may be my high-powered choice around the house and for special occasions, but I'm confident the Playbook will go with me more often on trips and outings. I love the little thing (and FWIW I'm NOT a Blackberry phone user).
    01-06-12 04:31 PM

So does mine, but I did get a tracking number (a UPSP number) a day later. Still no news about here it is in shipping, but all things come to he who waits.
    01-06-12 04:41 PM
    what do you mean no google maps ? there is google maps app.
    He's a mac boi, what did you expect he'd say?
    01-06-12 04:45 PM
    So does mine, but I did get a tracking number (a UPSP number) a day later. Still no news about here it is in shipping, but all things come to he who waits.
    I received mine in 2 days. It was shipped from MA and I live in NJ.
    01-06-12 04:52 PM
    I believe that those who choose free shipping, USPS ground is the method of choice. The tracking number is provided in the e-mail shipping notification, but it can't be tracked.

I expect about a week or so for the package to show up after receiving that message from ShopBlackberry.
    01-06-12 05:01 PM
    I have a slightly protruding button (1 mm?) with a flat back
    That's good news. I'm hoping I also get one with no issues.

Mine says the same. It seems to be shipping well ahead of schedule though. The SBB page says 7-14 days and I ordered mine 2 days ago.
    01-06-12 05:08 PM
    I received mine in 2 days. It was shipped from MA and I live in NJ.
    I live in MA so where is mine!!! :-)

Now that I returned by 32g to Staples (very Easy), I will have withdrawal systems soon. (Actually, to tell the truth, not. It's a nice unit, especially for storing classical music, but I can live w/o it.)
    01-06-12 05:36 PM
    I live in MA so where is mine!!! :-)

Now that I returned by 32g to Staples (very Easy), I will have withdrawal systems soon. (Actually, to tell the truth, not. It's a nice unit, especially for storing classical music, but I can live w/o it.)
    I checked the address for you.

200 Ward Hill Ave
    Haverhill MA 01835

I hope this helps you
    01-06-12 05:43 PM
285 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD