No good spin for this one...
    01-02-12 12:49 AM
    I see it says 7-14 business days to ship so when can I expect to have at my door if I order today?
    01-02-12 12:56 AM
    The clearance sale at Staples is somewhat odd.
    01-02-12 01:47 AM
    Not an error. Have you even looked at the page?
    I'll believe it when I see many people ordering them and getting them successfully without any cancellations.
    Last edited by Megacharge; 01-02-12 at 02:41 AM.
    01-02-12 02:29 AM
    I have had 2, and I think im gonna get a third one for my brother!!!
    01-02-12 02:46 AM
    This is starting to feel like a product dump. Usually that means it is discontinued or, there is a new model comming.
    With no netflix or googlemaps in the future my guess is it's the former...
    ...SAD!
    01-02-12 05:11 AM
    With no netflix or googlemaps in the future my guess is it's the former...
    ...SAD!
    what do you mean no google maps ? there is google maps app.
    01-02-12 06:18 AM
    I bought the 16gb for 199, then they dropped the price for the 32gb, so I decided to sell my 16 and get the 32 for 249...now the 64 is 299, they're killing me!!!
    Last edited by jpy007; 01-02-12 at 07:41 AM.
    YaBoi410 likes this.
    01-02-12 07:34 AM
    Not an error. Have you even looked at the page?

BlackBerryPlayBook - RIM US

Below the scratched out and replaced with $299 prices for the 3 models, you will again see the prices and also the savings spelled out:
    -----------------------------------
    ON SALE: $299 (16GB, 32GB, 64GB)

SAVE: $400 (64GB), $300 (32GB), $200 (16GB)

SALE ENDS: 2/4/2012
    -----------------------------------

The 64 gigs aren't selling in any quantity even at the sale price of $399. Consumers see the 16gig at $199 and aren't willing to pay *double* (previous sale price of $399) for the same speced device with nothing more than a memory upgrade. How can RIM dump these 64 gig devices? The above prices are their latest attempt. It may even work. $500 to $200 (0.4 times the original price) moved the stagnant 16 gigs to some extent. $700 to 300 (0.42 times the original price) may move the 64 gig boat anchors as well.
    Putting all 3 memory configs at the same price guarantees that any sales they can muster will draw down their fossilised 64 gig supplies.

This is really starting to smell like a "going out of the tablet business" sale. Ditch whatever they've got on hand however they can do it. Next step after letting these prices run to try to deplete the 64 gigs (which presumably they produced in smaller overall quantities) will be swapping the firesaliest (look Ma, new word) price to match remaining inventory. Finally, tuck tail between legs and try to survive as a handset maker.

Those who think they are going to these extremes to clear the way for a new, improved tablet are delusional. The present tablet has greatly contributed to bringing RIM in its present form to the edge of ruin. Getting a new tablet project going would *never* get past RIM's board or investor groups. There would be a full fledged revolt.

The PlayBook will serve as a cautionary tale in business courses for years and years.

well said i fear it may mean that it will be hot february before we see os2 again i say cry the beloved rim
    joju58 likes this.
    01-02-12 07:40 AM
    At this price for 64GB, I just got myself another one and will hand the 32GB to my wife :-).
    01-02-12 10:06 AM
    can this be ordered from canada? went to rim canada and dont see a order online?
    hi again
    anyone tried to order from canada?
    thx
    01-02-12 10:21 AM
    At this price for 64GB, I just got myself another one and will hand the 32GB to my wife :-).
    I am tempted to do that so I could video chat with my sister. But what holds me off is that 64 gigs is a lot of data to keep in sync and then copy to restore. As of now, I cannot backup my 32 gig. So if I have to do another Security Wipe that is HOURS of data copying and restoration. A 64 gig would make it entirely onerous if backup failed and a wipe was again necessary.
    doxa sub750T likes this.
    01-02-12 10:25 AM
    I am tempted to do that so I could video chat with my sister. But what holds me off is that 64 gigs is a lot of data to keep in sync and then copy to restore. As of now, I cannot backup my 32 gig. So if I have to do another Security Wipe that is HOURS of data copying and restoration. A 64 gig would make it entirely onerous if backup failed and a wipe was again necessary.
    01-02-12 10:37 AM
    This is a killer one!… It has free shipping to MEXICO!.. this is big for me. Here on best buy mexico it costs the equivalent of 800 USD. Man, I could start my own sale! I can make easy 300USD per playbook!
    01-02-12 10:50 AM
    I brought the 16GB version for $262 in the UK, which shows how much we are ripped off originally I wanted the 32GB version for $309, but however cant get that for love as they were seen as more of a bargain than the base 16 version. The man in the shop said that they only had one 64GB version left for $509, so I brought that one instead. what persuaded me to part with my hard earned, was the video demo, its absolutely lush, havn't seen anything so good on any tablet-regardless. To me the 64GB makes a lot of sense because you can't add more memory. and I tend to carry everything with me. Lets hope that developers bring more apps out for this tablet as I think it just oozes quality in terms of OS and hardware
    01-02-12 11:03 AM
    hi again
    anyone tried to order from canada?
    thx
    As a Canadian, I just tried an U.S. mailing address but " transaction failed, please call..............."

Shame on RIM, they don't even offer this to Canadian.
    BTW, I'll return the 32gb ($281 in total) to BestBuy and buy the 64gb ($299, no shipping and NO tax + $2.50 from the postal service @ Blaine). But it really sounds fishy.
    Last edited by Beefnoodle; 01-02-12 at 03:28 PM.
    01-02-12 02:54 PM
    Just bought one for my wife! She always has mine playing games! I want mine back! Cant beat the price! Offsets my original price of one!
    01-02-12 03:42 PM
    Just bought one for my wife! She always has mine playing games! I want mine back! Cant beat the price! Offsets my original price of one!
    This reminds me of the seinfeld episode where Elaine inserts exclamation points in every sentence.

I decided to go to the store! I got some minced meat!
    ralfyguy and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    01-02-12 04:06 PM
    $299?! Are you taking the ****?! I know early adopters should expect price decreases but this is a joke. The price has fallen over the course of the year faster than RIMM's share price and that's really saying something.
    01-02-12 04:26 PM
    Trying to order one and my order is not being accepted. I get a "order failed" message. Anyone else getting that?
    01-02-12 04:35 PM
    $299?! Are you taking the ****?! I know early adopters should expect price decreases but this is a joke. The price has fallen over the course of the year faster than RIMM's share price and that's really saying something.
    Ain't life grand...I can buy 5 PB's for the price of 2 iPads, and I can buy even more RIMM stock then I already have. Life can be a biatche, but then RIM throws me free Kobe steak, and it's now all good.
    01-02-12 04:45 PM
    Trying to order one and my order is not being accepted. I get a "order failed" message. Anyone else getting that?
    yes, i've tried three times. order failed each time. of course the call center is closed so you cant speak to anyone even though the error message says to call the customer support line.
    01-02-12 04:47 PM
    I just bought a 16gb Playbook lol now this comes out ohh man I need a wishing ball telling me when to buy and when to hold.
    I truly believe RIM is doing this to sell off the 64gb models to balance it's inventory and make room for the new PlayBook wifi +4G LTE / wifi+4G WiMax

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-12 05:14 PM
    Yep...that's exactly what I am getting. I really, really want one, but they just won't let me have it!!
    01-02-12 05:17 PM
    Wishful thinking and spin aside, the most likely explanation is the obvious one: RIM is getting out of the tablet business and is selling off its remaining stock. Might be otherwise--I've certainly been wrong before--but that's the most likely explanation, IMHO. So, should anyone consider buying a 64GB Playbook at $299? Sure, if you like the way the Playbook performs now, with the apps currently available, but want the extra storage, why not? But, first, for that price, take a look at the new Samsung 7" Plus, and decide whether you'd rather spend $50 more and get something with more assurance of support (TigerDirect: $350 for 16GB, but has SD expansion).

I'm content with my Playbook (at firesale price--probably would not be if I'd paid $300 more). We'll probably get OS2 in February, so we will have limited Android compatibility. I say this, because I have the Beta OS2 installed, and it works quite well and appears quite close to finished. The only problems I have run into with the latest Beta are "stuttering" with Comwave and irritating freezes in bluetooth connectivity with a Verbatim bluetooth keyboard. Otherwise, it has been very stable. Presumably, even if RIM stops supporting the Playbook, it will do so gracefully, as HP has done with the Touchpad, and will make it easy for developers to go on producing apps for Playbook users, etc., so we'll probably never be worse off than we are today.
    01-02-12 05:39 PM
285 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD