After months of watching me work (and play) with my Playbook, my wife finally announced that she wanted one. So, we set out to buy a nice 64GB model.

Now, you'd THINK it would be easy. I mean, we've all heard the lines: it's a failed device. RIM is doomed. It's not an iPad. It's too small. Blah blah blah blah.

Do you THINK I could find one? No. Every Best Buy, Future Shop, and London Drugs...sold out of the 64's. They had a few 16's, a few 32's, but the 64's...nada. For three hours we were on the hunt.

Finally, giving up, I pulled in a lonely Staples store on the route home. Asking the nice young, none-too-switched on kid in the computer section..."Got any 64GB Playbooks?" "Uh, no. I doubt it." And then he turned and walked away. So I asked nicely, "Could you check?" He did. They had ONE.

What I was told at Best Buy, Futureshop, London Drugs, and even the "duh" kid at Staples was that there's been a bit of a run on the Playbook leading up to OS 2. Hm. Then I saw the PlayBook price cut results in increased market share - The Globe and Mail (which I see was already posted on CB).

My wife has either very good or very bad timing. I'll go with good. It's the day after Valentine's Day after all.
    02-16-12 12:42 AM
    Whewwwwww Glad you were able to find one! I do hope your wife will be happy with it!

Enjoy!
    02-16-12 12:44 AM
    Funny, I just bought two from shop.blackberry.com, and they are still in stock. I guess locally it may be difficult, but online it is a breeze!
    02-16-12 12:46 AM
    Congrats to your wife! always happy to hear of another person onboard the PB train.

Another example of when people see the PB in action, ...they will come!
    Last edited by Carbonetics; 02-16-12 at 12:53 AM.
    02-16-12 12:50 AM
    Congrats to your wife! always happy to hear of another person onboard the PB train.

Another example of when people see the PB in action, ...they will come!
    Partly I think she got caught up in my enthusiasm for OS 2. She's also starting a small business and wanted something portable and productive that, "won't make me look like some hipster with an iPad. I need to look like I mean business."

She actually doesn't use language like that, but is very serious about the business (and is making some serious investments of time and money).

Mind you, this is the same woman who bought her 77 year old mother a BB 9900 for Christmas. :-)
    yauchunh and ambarmetta like this.
    02-16-12 01:04 AM
    That $299 price was just too good for some to pass up. I was trying to decide between the 64 and 32, but as they had not 64's, the decision was made for me.
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-16-12 06:46 AM
    Funny, I just bought two from shop.blackberry.com, and they are still in stock. I guess locally it may be difficult, but online it is a breeze!
    You are quite fortunate -- so fortunate, you might want to consider playing Lotto this week. Because buying from shop.blackberry.com is a total crap shoot. Inexplicably denied credit cards that have never been denied anywhere else, inexplicably canceled shipments, etc. They are, hands-down, the worst e-commerce vendor on teh Interwebs.
    dbw1 likes this.
    02-16-12 07:41 AM
    The Source as them available online
    02-16-12 08:15 AM
    my wife does not want playbook, no blackberry. in fact no smart phone what so ever. just $20 simple phone.
    02-16-12 08:25 AM
    You are quite fortunate -- so fortunate, you might want to consider playing Lotto this week. Because buying from shop.blackberry.com is a total crap shoot. Inexplicably denied credit cards that have never been denied anywhere else, inexplicably canceled shipments, etc. They are, hands-down, the worst e-commerce vendor on teh Interwebs.

I had heard problems others have had regarding ordering from them in the forums (AFTER placing my first order!) and I was a little worried. But, there was no need to be. I received my first one only a few days after order. Ordered my second one and same deal. Both arrived in mint new condition of course...no issues at all.
    02-16-12 08:29 AM
    Amazon.com has 97 in stock at $312.00 It is getting harder to find the 64's.
    02-16-12 10:03 AM
    lucky all my pbs are 64GBs, they are so hard to find though, even then and now.
    when i went out to pick up my first it was all just 16GBs dun want!
    so i tried my quest to find the 64GBs, hard to find but possible.
    and succeeded the quest.
    02-16-12 10:07 AM
    I actually pre-ordered my PB 64 and picked it up on release day. After that they were hard to find for a while. My nephew got one for Christmas and he's thrilled with it - but only with the knowledge of a stand-alone PIM and email coming since he doesn't have a BB to tether.

On the whole, I think it would be nice to have a restart marketing campaign for the PB. If you're in this forum you're kind of breathing the RIM air. But the general public (even a few people I know at work with Playbooks) aren't aware of OS2. They will be when the update hits....soon...Tuesdayish...I hope.
    02-16-12 10:29 AM
    She's also starting a small business and wanted something portable and productive... I need to look like I mean business. She actually doesn't use language like that, but is very serious about the business (and is making some serious investments of time and money).
    To further enhance the functionality and utility of her new business-use BlackBerry PlayBook might I recommend the Hip Street Playbook Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard, available at Walmart, to make typing documents and emails much easier and more productive. The pending release of BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 2.0 should bring some new productivity-oriented features and hopefully encourage more application development. Enjoy!
    02-16-12 11:23 AM
    Hello CB. I ordered my BP from Walmart online and got it in a few days using standard shipping. Mine is a 64gb for $289. I originally got the 16gb from sprint for $199 and seen they had a 64gb at Walmart, so I took the 16gb back and ordered the 64gb. Im still learning the BP but love it! Waiting on some more apps from android and I will be in love with it
    02-16-12 08:35 PM
    I got mine (64 GB) from Newegg last week for $299 right before they ran out of stock. It looks like they restocked and have the same deal again!! I may get 2 more!!

Here is a link Newegg.com - BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB Tablet TI OMAP4430 1.00GHz 7" Wide SVGA 1GB RAM Memory 64GB Storage PowerVR SGX540
    02-16-12 08:43 PM
    I got mine (64 GB) from Newegg last week for $299 right before they ran out of stock. It looks like they restocked and have the same deal again!! I may get 2 more!!

Here is a link Newegg.com - BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB Tablet TI OMAP4430 1.00GHz 7" Wide SVGA 1GB RAM Memory 64GB Storage PowerVR SGX540
    Better get them before Tuesday because the price will be going up to 499.
    02-16-12 10:24 PM
    my wife does not want playbook, no blackberry. in fact no smart phone what so ever. just $20 simple phone.
    But how will she play angry birds or use fart apps?
    02-16-12 10:41 PM
    Good that you found one!

BB seems to have them too in Canada... Search Results - Best Buy Canada
    02-16-12 11:29 PM
    Good that you found one!

BB seems to have them too in Canada... Search Results - Best Buy Canada
    .....except they are 'sold out' on-line and out of stock in every store in Ontario
    02-16-12 11:36 PM
    .....except they are 'sold out' on-line and out of stock in every store in Ontario
    Last I checked it let you "add to cart"... I didnt check for the details and I cant be blamed for not living in Ontario.... sorry.
    02-16-12 11:42 PM
    Last I checked it let you "add to cart"... I didnt check for the details and I cant be blamed for not living in Ontario.... sorry.
    Hey, no worries. I've bought 5 pb's in the last two months and found that many retailers have bad info on availability on their web sites.

CDW.ca showed inventory so I ordered. They called to tell me that they must have had a flurry of orders because they could not secure a unit for me as the warehouse inventory was gone. Next day the web site was still showing 'in stock', but when i called, they were out of stock. Walmart, FutureShop, and BestBuy have all been just as bad.
    02-17-12 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD