Just back from my local Best Buy. They had it at $229 as well, but were sold out. Did a search for other locations in state (GA) and they were all sold out as well. System also showed 0 in the warehouse.

Has all the makings of a sell off.
    11-20-11 01:02 PM
    I ordered around midnight and got a second message that states that the item is back ordered 1-2 weeks and other options, etc. I haven't gotten any cancellation, so I hope I'm lucky here.

I was just in the store yesterday playing with Blackberry Bridge from my new Bold 9930, it is a really nice set-up.
    11-20-11 01:10 PM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Umm hmm. I went to the website, no sale to be found. Called and was told I had seen an ad. I sed no, I know some one who got it for that price, he said it was a mistake and it goes on sale Wednesday.
    What a great way for them to drum up business and get the jump on other retailers. Now I just wish another store would sell it for that price, and bye bye best buy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i checked the site too and it's back to regular price; i hope you're right about wed. cause i don't feel like getting up at 4am friday morning.
    11-20-11 01:23 PM
    I bought the Fire on Friday, but I was not impressed. It does what it was meant to do very well, but its just not for me. This afternoon I returned it. While looking around, I saw that the Playbook was on sale. $199 for 16G, $299 for 32G, and $229 for 64G. Yes, the 64G was cheaper. The staff ran around trying to find me the 64G but no luck. There was a RIM rep there but even he couldn't find any Playbooks or answer why the 64G was so cheap.

Anyway, I left the store and went to another less than 15 minutes. There, they had no Playbooks on display. None. The sales rep took me to the nearest Kiosk to see if she could locate any. Sure enough, there was the 64G on sale for $229, even though her computer showed the regular price.

Well I place the order, printed my receipt from the Kiosk and just received that familiar email.
    Fingers crossed.
    11-20-11 01:45 PM
    oh..the Kiosk receipt states, " This kiosk displays BB's lowest price available between this store and its online website prices......."
    11-20-11 01:47 PM
    DAMN - anyone get this before they took the page down? Did it show 229 in the cart or 699?
    The flood must have broken the servers or the back order list is too long or they realized their mistake

damn I heard someone got the 299 price in another thread - if you did you are one lucky person
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-20-11 at 01:54 PM.
    11-20-11 01:49 PM
    I bought the Fire on Friday, but I was not impressed. It does what it was meant to do very well, but its just not for me. This afternoon I returned it. While looking around, I saw that the Playbook was on sale. $199 for 16G, $299 for 32G, and $229 for 64G. Yes, the 64G was cheaper. The staff ran around trying to find me the 64G but no luck. There was a RIM rep there but even he couldn't find any Playbooks or answer why the 64G was so cheap.

Anyway, I left the store and went to another less than 15 minutes. There, they had no Playbooks on display. None. The sales rep took me to the nearest Kiosk to see if she could locate any. Sure enough, there was the 64G on sale for $229, even though her computer showed the regular price.

Well I place the order, printed my receipt from the Kiosk and just received that familiar email.
    Fingers crossed.
    You got this price in the store backordered?? How? What kiosk?

The RIM rep was there and couldn't find the playbooks? First of all that's like a Sasquach sighting, secondly what a moron - this explains the retail problems...
    11-20-11 01:52 PM
    Just back from my local Best Buy. They had it at $229 as well, but were sold out. Did a search for other locations in state (GA) and they were all sold out as well. System also showed 0 in the warehouse.

Has all the makings of a sell off.
    Or a simply a sell out?
    11-20-11 01:53 PM
    BestBuy at the Hamilton Commons Mall, Mays Landing NJ selling 16G PB $199.00 today. Got one right away. Staples on Rte 30, Absecon, NJ will have 7 for Black Friday. Sweet deal.
    11-20-11 02:19 PM
    Live in Orlando (already have 32GB Playbook I got from Staples Advantage in September and ordered $229 64GB for my brother in law this morning)

Anyways. Went to Best Buy this morning in Orlando. And all the 64Gb inventory in Central Florida are sold out.

$229 is the real price the customer service rep at the counter has in her computer. So those that ordered his morning should have it honored online.

Not sure why people are getting email cancellations. I ordered at 545am and never got email cancellation.
    11-20-11 02:52 PM
    Makes me want to wait til Black Friday and get the 16 for $99.
    11-20-11 03:00 PM
    OK folks - panicked and ran to best Buy - I had to tell them about the sale - checked the kiosk - no more 64g's to be found, however the 16g is on sale for $199 I forget the 32g price sorry -
    however as I was looking at it the price went back up to retail the sales person however was able to find the $199 sale price - so I grabbed their last one

Better hurry they can back order if they are out of stock at this price. As we watched the "sold out online" flag came up, same on the website now, the sale prices went away. SO better hurry

Since I already have one this will be considered my protection plan. It will sit on the shelf to protect my shelf from dust... or...

Highest bidder after 2.0 comes out!!

By the way nobody there has heard that the playbook is being discontinued.

also, the playbook was happily charged up in its cradle and showing the demos!! software OS was current, which I partially take credit for because of my polite complaints (suggestions actually - complainers should learn from me).
    yay! fanboys save the playbook from best buy!!

Actually the sales people were great - not condescending, nothing at all like Staples, who generally suck magnets.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-20-11 at 03:21 PM.
    11-20-11 03:01 PM
    DAMN - anyone get this before they took the page down? Did it show 229 in the cart or 699?
    The flood must have broken the servers or the back order list is too long or they realized their mistake

damn I heard someone got the 299 price in another thread - if you did you are one lucky person
    I got mine and $229 in the cart just before midnight -- no cancellation so far. Just a back ordered message about 2 hours later. I guess I was lucky.
    11-20-11 03:03 PM
    I got mine and $229 in the cart just before midnight -- no cancellation so far. Just a back ordered message about 2 hours later. I guess I was lucky.
    I hate you j/k lol welcome to Crackberry!
    11-20-11 03:13 PM
    Makes me want to wait til Black Friday and get the 16 for $99.
    Not gonna happen - if so I will hate you also...

But if not I have a spare one you could buy hee hee
    Would you like to cash in the one share of RIM I bought you at $18 to help out?
    Or see if it will grow?
    11-20-11 03:14 PM
    you guys and girls are getting some sweet deals up there. i think this was some big typo on the head office level. does not make sense to have 32gb for 299 and 64gb for 229.
    11-20-11 03:19 PM
    It might makes since if Best buy has way to many in stock and have to clear them out for the new Playbooks to come out in Feb 2012 with new OS.

Just my .02
    11-20-11 03:23 PM
    ordered my 64 a couple hours after midnight. Got a confirming email 30 mins later. Item is backordered but it still shows $250.00 price & tax included in my order status. So far, so good. Fingers crossed.
    11-20-11 04:04 PM
    No, keep my share in.
    11-20-11 04:07 PM
    BB cancelled my order as well. I think they will go out of business soon. BAD customer service.

I ordered a 16gb from walmart for $198, free home shipping.

Note: Staple will sale the 32gb for $249 on black friday I can always return the 16gb from Walmart if I can get the 32gb. Double the storage for $50. Not bad.
    11-20-11 04:12 PM
    I was just on Best buy's website

64GB PlayBook not listed
    11-20-11 04:20 PM
    I was just on Best buy's website

64GB PlayBook not listed
    I'm looking right now and it's saying the 16GB is sold out - and it's showing the original price of $499. Store pickup isn't available either. :s
    11-20-11 05:16 PM
    I ordered mine at 2:30 or so this morning and got a backorder email as well. I called the number on the email and asked them all about it and she said if it was a glitch, they hadn't been told about it... I asked he to check stock and no one had them where I could pick it ip today but she did notate my account and said even if it was a mistake I should still get it at that price...

Here's hoping!
    11-20-11 05:17 PM
    I checked all the BestBuys in the San Jose, CA area. They're all sold out of every model.

They're only selling the 16, 32, and 54 for $199, $299, and $399 respectively.

Still a great deal, if you can find one...
    11-20-11 05:30 PM
    Best Buy Kissimmee & Davenport sold out of ALL PB, some were showing in stock but were not in warehouse!
    Special prices were not orderable from store at all; were told that 64GB showing discontinued (if anyone got one for $229 well done!).
    Got last 2 16GB from Lakeland Best Buy for $199 and setting them up right now; a good enough deal at that price for me!
    11-20-11 05:53 PM
162 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD