The 64gb Playbook I ordered arrived but as soon as I saw the outside box I was concerned. The unit has a very early manufacture date, November 2011. That means that it has been sitting in a warehouse shelf for at least 9 months!! As suspected, I powered it on and the low battery warning automatically appeared. Worse the screen appeared sluggish and there are several dead pixels. Not impressed...debating if I should try to exchange in store or should I go through RIM directly?

I wonder if that's why the PB stock is being depleted as the longer the units sit on the shelf the worse they get.??

I'm also finding it hard to justify an extra 32gb for $81 ($199 for 64gb - $118 for 32gb unit) so maybe I just return and enjoy my 32gb units...I asked in one of my other posts but I don't really know how I could fill the extra 32gb. Is it easy to transfer content to the unit from PC?

Posted from My Mobile App
    09-18-12 08:14 PM
    It is very easy to transfer the content. If it hasn't been open before, the manufacturing date shouldn't matter. I would charge it up, do a hard reset, and see if you still have the problems. Exchange in store is faster for the first 30 days
    09-18-12 08:24 PM
    Use the store to exchange, use rim as a back up for exchange if you have issues. A low battery is rather normal with electronic devices. In fact they aren't meant to have much of a charge in them because of the potential of thermal runaway. Usually just enough to get it booted up then charge it. As far as manufactured date, as long as it is after rim fixed the power button issue (hard to press), then it should be fine, only thing you need to watch for is if it's refurbished.
    Also depending what you use your playbook for, you can burn through 64gigs very quickly.
    09-18-12 11:11 PM
    My playbook wouldn't power on and I sent back for rma. It must have been beyond repair as I received a new one, and the date on the box is 30th November 2012, glad to see they are still being made and not just depleting old stock.
    12-03-12 06:17 PM
    My playbook wouldn't power on and I sent back for rma. It must have been beyond repair as I received a new one, and the date on the box is 30th November 2012, glad to see they are still being made and not just depleting old stock.
    _WE_ suspect that the date is when it was packaged as opposed to the actual manufacture date. But you might see if there's a way to check if it has the new faster processor???
    12-03-12 07:48 PM
    _WE_ suspect that the date is when it was packaged as opposed to the actual manufacture date. But you might see if there's a way to check if it has the new faster processor???
    I can't see processor in any of the about screens, how do I check?
    12-03-12 08:23 PM
    Please note!!!

I received a 32gb Playbook as a developer tool (from RIM directly) and it also was made a while ago.

Turned it on right out of the box, same sluggish screen with not the full gradient color pattern (was almost looking 256 color instead of millions).

Anyways, I was worried but after a little time it came back to life and working normally.

Strange, not sure what to make of it. Any electronics engineers around?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    12-03-12 08:35 PM
    Um what have I missed? There are two cpu variants for the PB now? Or are you referring to the wifi model compared to the 3g model?
    12-03-12 08:49 PM
    Um what have I missed? There are two cpu variants for the PB now? Or are you referring to the wifi model compared to the 3g model?
    Or? Could there be a "hidden" non-publicized version? Doubtful but anything is possible! That's why I suspect that the date is the BOXED date from a pb already on some dusty shelf somewhere.
    12-03-12 08:58 PM
    I installed 'phone tester' app from app world, told me lots of stuff but not cpu or memory
    Attached Thumbnails 64gb Playbook arrived but Nov 2011 manufacture date!-img_00000001.jpg  
    12-03-12 09:20 PM
    i think only the LTE/WIFI has the 1.5 in it...
    12-03-12 09:30 PM
    when i got mine last fri., it came w/ a 20% charge & 1.xxx os,,, plenty to do setup/update w/ 15% left,,, took about an hr. to do,,, i have noticed after a few hard resets, it's getting snappier as it goes as it seems to be sorting itself out...
    12-03-12 09:35 PM
    _ Ya all chk for 'baby bump" right out of the box ? On flat surface if the unit rocks much at all ..... send it back manufacturers defect !

_Recessed power button (can't see any silver colour when lookin' from the side) ...send it back manufacturers defect !!

_Right out of the box scratches or discolouring along the edges, fingerprints, missing factory scrn mylar ..... send it back either a previously owned/open box sale or manufacturers defect !!!

nite !
    12-03-12 10:45 PM
    Interestingly the replacement one I got must have come with 2.something because it only did a 31 megabyte download which I assume was Canadian localisation.
    12-04-12 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD