As smaller size tablets are entering the market this year, samsung 8.9, HTC flyer to name a couple and Apple might eat their words and release their version of a smaller footprint as the industry seems to be rehashing a new trend , I think this will help Playbook out substantially in sales, RIM just needs to get out the native apps super fast and I mean ludicrous speed. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by edandrea; 09-22-11 at 08:09 AM.
    09-22-11 08:00 AM
    Pixelated? it is a game or application? and if I need to purchase it, 100% I don't have it... still Error ID: 10000...
    09-22-11 08:04 AM
    As smaller size tablets are entering the market this year samsung 8.9, HTC flyer being a couple and Apple might eat their words and release their version of a smaller footprint, I think this will help Playbook out substantially in sales, RIM just needs to get out the native apps super fast and I mean ludicrous speed. Just my opinion.
    Doubtful... There have been a number of competing 7 inch tablets on the market for a while now, and it hasn't done anything to help the Playbook.

If anything it'll hurt it, since new tablets with the same general dimensions as the Playbook will have much better specs. We're only a couple of months away from the first quadcore tablets and tablets with much higher resolution than the 1024*600 of the Playbook.

Besides, as the owner of a 7 inch tablet myself, I'm more and more convinced that 9-10 inches is really the sweet spot for tablets.

More and more phones are getting a 4.3 or 4.5 (or soon 5) inch screen, and the difference between that and a 7 inch screen isn't very big.

(As the owner of a 4.3 inch phone myself, yeah I'd pay 200 MAYBE 300 dollars for a 7 inch tablet. But I sure wouldn't pay 4 or 500 dollars for something that only offers a marginally bigger screen. A 9 or 10 inch tablet is a different story though)

As for portability, there really isn't much difference between 7 on 10 inches. I'd rate them to be about equal in that department, and I'd sure like to see one of those magical pockets that can fit a Playbook, that I've heard so much about. Weight is what matters, and the premium tablets: iPad2 and Galaxy 10.1 doesn't weigh much more than a Playbook.

The screen, and the extra screen real estate that you get with a ten inch tablet is what makes a big difference. My next tablet will def. be at least 9 inches, and I doubt you'll see Apple make something smaller than that. The pros really outweigh the cons of a 9-10 inch tablet.
    09-22-11 08:17 AM
    Terrible sales figures, really. It's sad because the PB has so much potential; it's hampered by inadequate software and marketing. Maybe the 2.0 launch will help sales, but I'm afraid by then it will be too late. They really could have done so much with this device. Maybe 2.0 will save it. Just maybe. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-22-11 08:23 AM
    Doubtful... There have been a number of competing 7 inch tablets on the market for a while now, and it hasn't done anything to help the Playbook.

If anything it'll hurt it, since new tablets with the same general dimensions as the Playbook will have much better specs. We're only a couple of months away from the first quadcore tablets and tablets with much higher resolution than the 1024*600 of the Playbook.

Besides, as the owner of a 7 inch tablet myself, I'm more and more convinced that 9-10 inches is really the sweet spot for tablets.

More and more phones are getting a 4.3 or 4.5 (or soon 5) inch screen, and the difference between that and a 7 inch screen isn't very big.

(As the owner of a 4.3 inch phone myself, yeah I'd pay 200 MAYBE 300 dollars for a 7 inch tablet. But I sure wouldn't pay 4 or 500 dollars for something that only offers a marginally bigger screen. A 9 or 10 inch tablet is a different story though)

As for portability, there really isn't much difference between 7 on 10 inches. I'd rate them to be about equal in that department, and I'd sure like to see one of those magical pockets that can fit a Playbook, that I've heard so much about. Weight is what matters, and the premium tablets: iPad2 and Galaxy 10.1 doesn't weigh much more than a Playbook.

The screen, and the extra screen real estate that you get with a ten inch tablet is what makes a big difference. My next tablet will def. be at least 9 inches, and I doubt you'll see Apple make something smaller than that. The pros really outweigh the cons of a 9-10 inch tablet.
    I have a couple jackets that fit the playbook just fine, it also fits in the back pocket of most my jeans. I don't carry it around like I do my phone (as often), but I'll tell ya, the times that I have needed to bring it with me somewhere, the size sure has been nice - so.... Each to there own (opinion). I also don't buy your "phones are close in size" argument. I've talked to several who own them HUGE andriod phones, and the number one complaint is the large size for a phone.

The playbook hasn't done well with sales, but its not because of the size - sorry, you're just wrong in this regard, and very alone in your opinion.

It failed because RIM was a year late getting the NDK out, 6 months late on native PIM, and as its been stated half a million times in these forums - their marketing is the pits.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    FF22 likes this.
    09-22-11 08:58 AM
    Well, the size issue is just a preference, which is why I find it dishonest when people push the size of the Playbook (or iPad) being an advantage over other tablets.

Having said that, I really think that the 9-10 inch size in the sweet spot for most people.

But size-vise. 7 or 10 inches really doesn't make a difference. Nine out of ten times when people go somewhere where they want to bring a tablet (Whether commuting to work or flying crosscountry) they have a bag or briefcase with them anyways. I really don't see the advantage of slipping your tablet into your jacket, over slipping it in the briefcase you're holding. It's the thickness and especially the weight that makes a difference.
    Judging from sales, most people feel this way.
    09-22-11 09:12 AM
    @CrackedBarry, for many people, the nature of their use of the tablet means 7" is better, and fitting it in a pocket is a big advantage.

And you can't judge from sales just yet... iPad sales overwhelm all other numbers, and they don't have a 7" tablet (yet). If the PlayBook had something resembling what we assume 2.0 may look like, but at launch in April, don't you think your view of how "most people feel" might be a bit different?
    09-22-11 09:22 AM

Quad core tablets? It's about time if you ask me because this should be the minimum to run OS systems like Honeycomb. God only knows, well, me too, that Honeycomb chug a lugs on Tegra 2. Screen resolution to be higher on the new tablets? big deal, have you seen HD videos on the Playbook? nothing comes close to this as far as tablets go, nothing. As for me I don't like to be in public places with a 9 or 10 inch tablet while sipping my coffee but that's me. It's going to take a newer quad core higher resolution tablet to be on par with what Playbook has to offer now. It's just a dam shame that Playbook didn't have native apps the cute games and a boat load of the same difference apps that Apple has or this tablet would have taken off from the get go. Oh, and there's a big difference while viewing content on the Playbook vs smartphone, even the 5" screens stop kidding yourself silly
    Last edited by edandrea; 09-23-11 at 07:51 AM.
    09-23-11 07:45 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD