I love my PlayBook! Betty(my PB's name) is always with me, by my side or by my bum (she fits in most of my pants' back pockets) and so it's no suprise that I am always asked if my Playbook(Betty) is "one of those iPad thingies". Although I'm sure it doesn't happen to everyone, I'm equally sure it does happen to some of you. Now, some people could get angry if said question was always asked to them, over and over again, but I take this time and seize the opportunity to instruct, and teach, what a Blackberry Playbook is and what it can do. I usually meet this curious bunch on the public transit to and from work or in the cafeteria at my place of work. Most of the time, I have a quick 3 to 5 minutes with them and I always find myself repeating the same thing. Here is a quick run through of the 5 ways I present and show off my BlackberryPlaybook:

1 - I always begin by telling people the device is called a Playbook and it is made by RIM (the makers of Blackberry) I tell them it's like an iPad in the way that it's a tablet, but that it works a little differently.

2 - The second thing I do is open a few apps like the video app, the bridge cal, news app and maybe a game like deadspace. I then proceed to show off the multitasking power of the hardware, as well as the gestures side of things. I always call Betty my little workhorse that could. People are usually amazed at how quickly the devices allows the user to quickly transition from one app to the next.

3 - While showing off the multitasking and gestures, I cycle to my video app and show off a video I took with the rear-facing camera. People are always impressed by not only the quality of the image captured, but also the quality of the screen. If deadspace is up, i'll go to that for a few seconds to show them how smoothly it runs.

4 - I usually only do this at work or in a more controlled environment ; I let people hold the device and let them get a feel for the quality of this tablet. I show them how easily it fits in my coat or back pocket and how it can be brought with me almost anywhere. It funny because on the few times I did this, people were already getting the hang of the intuitive bezel/gestures features.

5 - When I have internet access, I will often show off flash capabilities and the browser. Someone had posted a really cool NASA flash website for one of the Apollo missions in the CB forums once and I used that same site to convince a guy at work that this should be his next birthday present. Recently I've also told people about the great rebates available for the device.

So that's that. I just thought I'd share this with you all seeing as I find myself demo'ing Betty on an almost daily basis. I'm still super enthusiastic about this device and I like sharing that energy with other about a devices that hasn't received all the love and attention it deserves. Btw, this post was all done through the bridge broswer on some down time. I love my Playbook!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    3migo, ScoobsDM, markv_my and 12 others like this.
    09-24-11 07:56 PM
    Thanks

You may also open some novelty apps - like the "Piano" (AberrantApps) to demo the multi-touch or "Drums" (Jared Costal or "jeflemon")...maybe just to show them it can be just as cool and fun and responsive as the ipad thingy And the speakers ....nice

Bubble Level Pro is also very impressive to demo the sensors. Don't remember if it's free but a quality app..

I always download the piano app at best buy since its free so at least ONE cool app is on it.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-24-11 at 08:22 PM.
    09-24-11 08:17 PM
    there the rim logo on the back... and theres the blackberry word on the front and people stil ask if its an ipad..
    Last edited by alekza; 09-24-11 at 10:35 PM.
    dcorx, 3migo, mtint and 1 others like this.
    09-24-11 09:27 PM
    I was watching the Habs (a.k.a. the Montreal Canadians) pre-season game tonight with my brother-in-law and between the 1st and 2nd period, I figured I'd demo my Playbook and show him precisely what the PB is capable of. We ended up missing most of the 2nd and 3rd period, it's just pre-season anyways. After reading your thread, I did use some of your pointers and blew his mind. Not really knowing what to expect, I put it in his hands and 5 minutes later he was already hooked. He's pickin' one up first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the great thread.
    09-24-11 10:11 PM
    there the rim logo on the back... and theres the blackberry word on the front and people stil ask if its an ipod.
    Haha, never had somebody to ask is this an iPod.

Usually my answer is - no, no, this not for games, its professional, a work tool, for doing a job on it, its a BlackBerry tablet ... and then give them to play with it a bit, showing navigation and multitasking functionality, demo video, and ... in the end NFS
    09-24-11 10:19 PM
    Haha, never had somebody to ask is this an iPod.

Usually my answer is - no, no, this not for games, its professional, a work tool, for doing a job on it, its a BlackBerry tablet ... and then give them to play with it a bit, showing navigation and multitasking functionality, demo video, and ... in the end NFS
    sorry my bad!
    fixed!
    09-24-11 10:38 PM
    sorry my bad!
    fixed!
    Wasn't thinking its a mistake, but real situation and found it funny

09-24-11 11:32 PM
    Ummm.... Does Betty sometimes talk to you even when your hand is not in her back pulling the string?
    09-24-11 11:56 PM
    Ummm.... Does Betty sometimes talk to you even when your hand is not in her back pulling the string?
    LOL!

My Playbook is called Playbitch. When I need to censor it I'd call her Playberry .
    09-25-11 12:03 AM
    If they're asking if its an "ipad thingie" they probably have no idea of what an ipad can do either so no amount of multitasking demos will really make a difference & they'll more than likely walk away thinking the "ipad thingie" can do all the same things.

09-25-11 01:11 AM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    brilliant suggestions!!
    09-25-11 02:08 AM
    If they're asking if its an "ipad thingie" they probably have no idea of what an ipad can do either so no amount of multitasking demos will really make a difference & they'll more than likely walk away thinking the "ipad thingie" can do all the same things.
    True, people who would refer that way would need something simple and straight forward. Anyway, I just named the thread like that because it was a funny thing to hear.

09-25-11 02:42 AM
    She does! Bed Buzz allows Betty to call me whatever I like and tell me the time of day and even the weather! She'll even wake me up if I ask her*!

*By ask, I meam program her.

09-25-11 02:46 AM
    I was watching the Habs (a.k.a. the Montreal Canadians) pre-season game tonight with my brother-in-law and between the 1st and 2nd period, I figured I'd demo my Playbook and show him precisely what the PB is capable of. We ended up missing most of the 2nd and 3rd period, it's just pre-season anyways. After reading your thread, I did use some of your pointers and blew his mind. Not really knowing what to expect, I put it in his hands and 5 minutes later he was already hooked. He's pickin' one up first thing tomorrow.

l

This is awesome!! Yeah can't wait for some good old Hab's Hockey to start! Montreal is crazy(fun) during hockey season!

09-25-11 02:47 AM
    there the rim logo on the back... and theres the blackberry word on the front and people stil ask if its an ipad..
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................facepalm....

Yes, people still ask. They're supposed to pick up on a small icon on the back they likely cannot see or the word on the front that is also likely not visible? WUT?
    stevedee likes this.
    09-25-11 03:05 AM
    I just smack'em in the head with the back of the PB and leave the Blackberry logo imprinted of their forehead.

Not really...I show it off and try to educate.
    09-25-11 05:48 AM

l

This is awesome!! Yeah can't wait for some good old Hab's Hockey to start! Montreal is crazy(fun) during hockey season!

Hab fans huh? You'll probably enjoy this then:

Last edited by Neely2005; 09-25-11 at 09:11 AM.
    09-25-11 09:08 AM
    Montreal 26 stanley cups Boston 6 we can't win them all
    09-25-11 09:27 AM
    Montreal 26 stanley cups Boston 6 we can't win them all
    And how many have the habs won This Century?

You sound like a leaf fan talking about past glory from before you were born.

09-25-11 09:34 AM
    And how many have the habs won This Century?

You sound like a leaf fan talking about past glory from before you were born.

Now now, no need to get all up and mighty on some Hater-ade and bash eachothers teams...

Unless you're a leafs fan, those guys are always fair game.
    09-25-11 10:13 AM
    Hockey, the king of all sports.
    ignites and shebmiller like this.
    09-25-11 10:40 AM
    I was at a hockey game today, during intermissions some one remarked on the 'toy', turned to them and showed the fullscreen racebuddy feed live on nascar - and commented on how knitting wasn't everyones thing.
    09-25-11 04:45 PM
    Wow leave Canadians in a room together too long and the conversation always switches to hockey.. in the States football ... further south ... futbol (soccer)

Not to change the subject, but what do you cold people think of your Sheepdogs?
    Just discovered them the other day... classic!

Havent heard such a good band out of Canada since the Guess Who?
    Love tapping along with my DRUM APP
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-25-11 at 07:31 PM.
    09-25-11 07:28 PM
    couldn't agree more, messing around with teh playbook is a way better use of 2 hours than watching a habs game
    Maddogmsd likes this.
    09-28-11 03:31 PM
    GO STARS, sorry i know this doesnt belong here but i couldnt resist! Yeah, i know our one Cup compared to everyone else, But our names are on it. Nothing better then to watch a Stars game, and keep track of all the other games on my handy dandy trusty Playbook.
    09-28-11 03:44 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD