12-21-11 12:37 PM
44 12
tools
    You might try the charging cradle - there seems to be something about it that keeps it from going to sleep - I went to sleep listening to the silentnoise app last night woke up this morning and it was still running and the screen had not timed out?

Make sure you are using the latest OS of course also.
    Some apps are designed so it doesn't go to sleep. The browser could be but RIM chose not to for some reason. Only when playing a video in full screen.
    12-20-11 08:06 AM
    Downloading an app is painful?
    Need to work on improving your pain tolernce level.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry.
    I think it can be very annoying. Why can't the browser be customizable to fit the user's experience?
    12-20-11 08:08 AM
    EastCoast asked the same in the support forums, and I responded with details about why this isn't working for him, yet, and how to do make it work: Re: Stand by after 5 minutes - Page 4 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

In short, even with apps that enable the Keep Awake feature, they must be both active and visible onscreen. That doesn't mean just having their window "open" somewhere in the background, but actually visible, with one or more of their window's pixels showing up some place your eye can actually see it. It also means either using Showcase mode (as he's done already) or understanding the concept of "active" as it relates to apps, so you can make use of the same effect even in Default or Paused modes. Easier to use Showcase...

I have yet to encounter a PlayBook which could not be forced to stay on indefinitely this way... I don't believe (yet) that there are any bugs that could prevent it, although that's always possible. Far more likely it's pilot error if it's not working for you yet.
    12-20-11 08:48 AM
    I'm not sure why I am listening to the Mayor of Toronto but he's been going on for about 20 minutes without my pb turning off.

....sorry for your pain
    12-20-11 09:12 AM
    That's 19 minutes and 58 seconds longer than I would listen to Rob Ford!
    And no, my real name isnt Margaret Atwood .
    He did come across as a similar type to the Governor of Wisconsin.

So I gather I should get extra credit for accidentally picking that stream for listening in the experiment to see if my pb would turn off in 5 minutes. I have to admit I knew nothing of Toronto politics until last night.
    12-20-11 11:02 AM
    ....sorry for your pain
    Obviously, I stumbled into something with no advanced planning or warning. I finally turned it off when he mentioned taking on labor, next.
    12-20-11 11:06 AM
    Downloading an app is painful?
    Need to work on improving your pain tolernce level.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry.
    I think he means that it seems silly or a bit much to have to run an app to do something his PB should be doing normally and I agree with him.
    12-20-11 11:25 AM
    I think he means that it seems silly or a bit much to have to run an app to do something his PB should be doing normally and I agree with him.
    That's true and I agree, but you also have to understand that many of us have owned the PB since day 1 and have had to adjust to some of the shortcomings with apps or workarounds. It's a little bit different mindset for those of us who have been doing the daily grind for much longer. At this point, we're used to it.
    trsbbs likes this.
    12-20-11 11:34 AM
    It appears that most of the posters are not having the problem that the OP is having. Which is why people are giving suggestions to help him fix the problem.
    OP have you resolved the issue?
    Last edited by Hgouck; 12-20-11 at 12:39 PM.
    12-20-11 12:36 PM
    Update...

I registered for the 90 day support as someone suggested... ( I would have done that anyhow ) Thank you for your suggestion...

I called Tech. support and recreated my problem twice while on the phone with him. Each time it shut down.
    He tried to tell me that this was normal. I told him that based on feedback I have received on the help forums on the internet, many people were streaming web pages for longer than 5 minutes. A browser shutting down after 5 minutes is not acceptable.

He then said we would try some troubleshooting because his PB continued to play the same web station I was playing even in standby mode. That was good news because it seemed normal not to need an app. or use simple browser to keep the unit running. But it was bad because mine didn't work the same. He then suggested clearing all cookies/history/cache etc... I thought this is funny I've already cleared my cache.. I was skeptical but it worked!!!! I've been listening to a station for 20 minutes now without fail.. What a funny/simple solution to kill a five minute timer.

Thanks to everyone who commented, and thanks to the lad that commented on the Blackberry forums. I just thought it was awful "painful" to have an app used or some other workaround to have a browser stream audio for more than 5 minutes. I mean I've only been listening to hockey games on line for the past 15 years.. I was a little excited to do on the PB and I figured RIM could create a browsing experience as good as Windows or Firefox.. So there you go... funny in the end it was just something very silly but since there were many hits on a google search for the same prob. I'd figured I'd share my solution that worked... (Even though the solution was somewhat embarrassing)

Thanks Crackberry Forums and RIM Tech. Support.

Not a RIM hater.

Cheers!
    Last edited by EastCoast17; 12-20-11 at 01:08 PM.
    Hgouck, jesse_h and shupor like this.
    12-20-11 01:06 PM
    Excellent!
    12-20-11 01:12 PM
    That's new, haven't heard of cookies causing any problems like that yet but good to know. Thanks for posting your findings after getting it fixed, it will end up helping others potentially.
    12-20-11 01:15 PM
    Darn, you mean I did not have to listen to that mayor of Toronto after all?
    12-20-11 01:30 PM
    12-20-11 03:41 PM
    Thank you for posting your fix to the problem. It might be slightly embarrassing to you but it will help others with there solution to the same problem. Thanks for sharing and I am happy you where able to work it out with a simple solution.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    12-20-11 03:51 PM
    You might try the charging cradle - there seems to be something about it that keeps it from going to sleep - I went to sleep listening to the silentnoise app last night woke up this morning and it was still running and the screen had not timed out?

Make sure you are using the latest OS of course also.
    Do not lie. You don't sleep bud.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-20-11 03:52 PM
    @EastCoast17.
    Glad it worked out for you! Even though they're doing better this year, it's frustrating enough to listen to the Leafs without the PlayBook timing out as well...

BTW, the PlayBook streams Hockey Night in Canada games from the CBC site very well.
    12-20-11 04:45 PM
    Darn, you mean I did not have to listen to that mayor of Toronto after all?
    Yeah, 20 minutes you'll never get back

Off-topic:
    Toronto's had its share of um, "interesting" mayors over the years.
    Mel Lastman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (scroll down to controversies).
    12-20-11 04:52 PM
    I'm glad I kept reading, I was so close to callin the OP a troll! Hard to believe no one else had this same problem! Glad you got it fixed tho.
    12-21-11 12:37 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD