Right, video streaming over the internet via the default PlayBook browser...

Whenever I ask this question, I get a range of answers, ranging from 'doesn't work at all' to 'works brilliantly' so I figure I need to ask a more specific question:

Is there anyone out there that can get a TV programme to stream from the '4od' website successfully (and by that I mean without pausing, buffering or freezing at all during the whole programme).

For the purposes of this 'survey' I'm only interested in videos the 4od website, so please don't tell me that YouTube works fine, or you can stream HD games from your favourite local baseball team, I'm only interested in 4od videos, as this is the one that gives me the most trouble.

EDIT: See my later posts for more information, but I seem to have solved the issue by upgrading my WiFi router, so anyone else with the same issue, I strongly recommend checking out the download speeds you are getting, and spending 20 quid on a new router if necessary. Hopefully you will be as happy with the outcome as I am.

Thanks,

Chris.
    Last edited by ChrisMay; 03-17-13 at 03:10 PM.
    03-14-13 11:16 AM
    Right, video streaming over the internet via the default PlayBook browser...

Whenever I ask this question, I get a range of answers, ranging from 'doesn't work at all' to 'works brilliantly' so I figure I need to ask a more specific question:

Is there anyone out there that can get a TV programme to stream from the '4od' website successfully (and by that I mean without pausing, buffering or freezing at all during the whole programme).

For the purposes of this 'survey' I'm only interested in videos the 4od website, so please don't tell me that YouTube works fine, or you can stream HD games from your favourite local baseball team, I'm only interested in 4od videos, as this is the one that gives me the most trouble.

Thanks,

Chris.
    Just tried to watch Ice Man Murder Mystery 47mins 12 seconds. After the first 32 seconds on the program video stops for a couple of seconds, then again at 1.01 mins then again at 1.31. No buffering symbol comes up just stops then starts again and keeps doing it approx 30 sec intervals. That's why I don't use my Playbook for video streaming.

PS I have a terribly slow internet connection tho'. Just carried out a speed check. 1.3 mb download and 0.3 mb upload.

Malcolm.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-14-13 11:36 AM
    I can manage 2 minutes without a pause, after that 4OD streams fine.

Posted via CB10
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-14-13 11:38 AM
    I watched Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare's USA on Tuesday night (the one with the scary flamingo lady in Baltimore if you need to know for reference), streamed on my home wifi. No pauses, no locks, straight through.

Bit of buffer at the start, but that was all.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-14-13 11:46 AM
    4OD streams fine, the adverts cause delays though, in fact sometimes mostly when starting a programme, after that advert breaks are cut short each advert? Which is good lol

I have problems on some video sites though, not supported.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-14-13 12:29 PM
    I can manage 2 minutes without a pause, after that 4OD streams fine.

Posted via CB10
    Hi,
    Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. So does it stream without pause after a dodgy couple of minutes, or work fine for two minutes, and then play up?
    Thanks.
    03-14-13 12:42 PM
    Does the same happen on 4OD YT channels Chris? 4OD - YouTube
    03-14-13 12:52 PM
    4od works fine for me on home wifi and is watchable linked to my windows phone on 3 but with some buffering hope that helps
    Bob
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-14-13 03:12 PM
    Does the same happen on 4OD YT channels Chris? 4OD - YouTube
    Didn't know about that, but just tried it and didn't really seem to be much better. Strange, as YT usually seems to work ok...
    03-14-13 03:17 PM
    "This service is not currently available in your area." Sorry, tried to help
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-14-13 03:29 PM
    Well I work.well apart from what I posted above, even bridged roaming on T-Mobile.

Who.your network?

Lock your phone to 3G Tmobile ifOrange
    03-14-13 03:44 PM
    Well I work.well apart from what I posted above, even bridged roaming on T-Mobile.

Who.your network?

Lock your phone to 3G Tmobile ifOrange
    03-14-13 03:55 PM
    I've never had any issues streaming from 4OD on my PB, although I haven't done so in a while (it's possible their site has changed and doesn't work as well on PB anymore).
    03-14-13 04:55 PM
    It seems that quite a few of you manage to get it to work, so I guess the problem is probably something to do with my network. I'm beginning to suspect me aging WiFi router, so I've just ordered a new TP-Link 802.11n router from Amazon for 20 quid. Will hopefully give me a faster connection through to my broadband. I'll report back once I have received it and got it setup...
    Watch this space...
    03-14-13 04:55 PM
    It seems that quite a few of you manage to get it to work, so I guess the problem is probably something to do with my network. I'm beginning to suspect me aging WiFi router, so I've just ordered a new TP-Link 802.11n router from Amazon for 20 quid. Will hopefully give me a faster connection through to my broadband. I'll report back once I have received it and got it setup...
    Watch this space...
    Defo best using a N router,G on my old man's router was not the best.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-14-13 07:17 PM
    Funny this has come up just now. I tried to watch The Mimic on 4OD. The adverts worked perfectly but the programme stuttered and died. My daughter had a similar problem on my wifes PB. I didn't know about 4OD being on youtube. I just tried it and it's fine on YT. iplayer is ok on my PB but ITVplayer is dody
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-15-13 08:55 AM
    I haven't tried 4od, but I would have put these issues down to your internet connection - even if you have high-speed, many ISPs will throttle your download speed after a certain amount of time. If not that then likely your router.
    03-15-13 09:36 AM
    Works fine with iplayer HD.
    03-15-13 11:20 AM
    Hello Chris
    I watch Time team on 4od and it works well in the browser
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-15-13 11:26 AM
    Hello Chris
    I watch Time team on 4od and it works well in the browser
    We couldn't stream anything during peak times with. 6meg talktalk connection, recently they have started throttling the life out of connections again for anything but plain http

Good news is we moved and I'm not with them anymore, bt infinity 38meg and guess what, streaming works beautifully :-)

Seriously though it causEd me real issues as I couldn't get on work vpn as even that was being throttled, proved it was my isp with the networks guys.

Regards

Damian
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-15-13 12:32 PM
    Hi,
    Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. So does it stream without pause after a dodgy couple of minutes, or work fine for two minutes, and then play up?
    Thanks.
    It works fine after the first 2 minutes.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 07:43 PM
    Says it all, TalkTalk...If you took TT Fibre its the same as everyone's fibre...BT Wholesale. Except Virgin that is.
    03-15-13 09:10 PM
    Trying 23m Gadget Man now...

EDIT:
    "The service is not currently available in you area. Click here to access our help section."

Bloody copyright-scared streaming sites...
    03-16-13 01:48 PM
    Well, what a difference a day (and a new router) makes. I'm now getting about 3 times the connection speed I had before. I guess my old router must have had 'issues'! Haven't done extensive testing yet, but a few trials on a few streaming sites - including 4od are giving very good results. No buffering at all so far, or at least once the video has started playing. I'm a happy camper!!
    03-16-13 02:41 PM
    Well, what a difference a day (and a new router) makes. I'm now getting about 3 times the connection speed I had before. I guess my old router must have had 'issues'! Haven't done extensive testing yet, but a few trials on a few streaming sites - including 4od are giving very good results. No buffering at all so far, or at least once the video has started playing. I'm a happy camper!!
    For several reasons, if you're using an 802.11n WiFi router / access point at home, security: W2K AES.

You know it makes sense.
    03-16-13 03:13 PM
27 12