Ok...Did RIM just re-chip and add an antenna to the stock they wrote off? If they did that, then I would say this was a fiscally smart move on their part. They must know that they wont sell too many of these, even with the carriers promoting them. We have all seen carrier 'promotion' looks like with respect to RIM, especially in the US market. If RIM has even moderate success with this, while only spending a fraction to reequip units they already own, then they will turn an easy profit off of the 4G model. As for the lack of promotion, my guess is that they are saving all of that for the launch of BB10 when they can say 'hey guess what, BB10 is now on the LTE playbook...get one fool'
    Last edited by metz9444; 07-24-12 at 06:59 AM.
    07-24-12 06:53 AM
    Ok...Did RIM just re-chip and add an antenna to the stock they wrote off? If they did that, then I would say this was a fiscally smart move on their part. They must know that they wont sell too many of these, even with the carriers promoting them. We have all seen carrier 'promotion' looks like with respect to RIM, especially in the US market. If RIM has even moderate success with this, while only spending a fraction to reequip units they already own, then they will turn an easy profit off of the 4G model. As for the lack of promotion, my guess is that they are saving all of that for the launch of BB10 when they can say 'hey guess what, BB10 is now on the LTE playbook...get one fool'

I believe that is exactly what they did. RIM got to do something with all the parts they purchased and then wrote off. Rumours had it that the assembled have been sold fairly well after the hugh price reduction but many unassembled parts are in storage. Putting in a 4G radio (like they always planned) and make good use of the parts whilst they remain fairly decent hardware make perfect sense. Also minor impact fiscally as most resources will be for BB10.

I was expecting RIM to keep all old hardware but at least now you got faster CPU. Pleasant surprise to me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-24-12 07:12 AM
    "The PlayBook is a relatively popular tablet in Canada...Good thing for us . . . .
    well, just imagine 'your countrymen' Terrance and Phillip (South
    Park) do on each appearance - that's what I am doing now
    with extra debris due this 'massive' value for money progress

Damian
    07-24-12 07:35 AM
    well, just imagine 'your countrymen' Terrance and Phillip (South
    Park) do on each appearance - that's what I am doing now
    with extra debris due this 'massive' value for money progress

Damian
    Damian, I am sorry I have never watched a single episode of "South Park" so your comment is over my head.

Can you explain it to me on other terms please.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bungaboy; 07-24-12 at 08:28 AM.
    07-24-12 08:09 AM
    Are we going to see the Paratek antenna in this baby...a true woldwide device. If not - how many frequencies? There are 100+ LTE frequencies around the world. Don't re-do the Austrailia, Germany, etc... iPhad fiasco.
    undone likes this.
    07-24-12 08:51 AM
    Are we going to see the Paratek antenna in this baby...a true woldwide device. If not - how many frequencies? There are 100+ LTE frequencies around the world. Don't re-do the Austrailia, Germany, etc... iPhad fiasco.
    That would certainly make it a one world product.
    07-24-12 09:08 AM
    Too much money for too little difference. And a smaller battery? Good thinking RIM. Just what you want with a 4g device...NOT.

Is someone going to carry this 4g tablet around, and NOT carry a cell phone? No.

So if I can tether, of Wi-Fi connect, my PB now via 4g...why do I need this? I don't...and neither will many other people.

RIM should have been concentrating their resources on getting BB10 out...this is just a waste of time.
    07-24-12 09:08 AM
    Too much money for too little difference. And a smaller battery? Good thinking RIM. Just what you want with a 4g device...NOT.

Is someone going to carry this 4g tablet around, and NOT carry a cell phone? No.

So if I can tether, of Wi-Fi connect, my PB now via 4g...why do I need this? I don't...and neither will many other people.

RIM should have been concentrating their resources on getting BB10 out...this is just a waste of time.
    Wi-Fi tethering can be expensive depends on which carrier you are with. I'm with Bell Canada, last month I had a $60 extra charge just for the 5 minutes Wi-Fi tether test I did with my Blackberry phone and Playbook. It's like $10/mb I think.
    07-24-12 09:35 AM
    Damian, I am sorry I have never watched a single episode of "South Park" so your comment is over my head...
    i.e.
    I giv'a d@mn sh�t on it.

sorry for the South Park metaphor - I am addicted
    and like those to use in a forum because you can
    express the worst things replacing any strong language.

there is an all-time recurring plot - taking the mickey
    of Canadians. they been considered gaining fun in
    farting at each other and on each occassion as well as
    using anal stuffing procedures with brides arms.

due to its success and close neighbourhood to the States
    I supposed even non-SP watching Canadians may know
    it because it is often very very offensive not to speak rassistic.

regards
    Damian
    steppinghorse likes this.
    07-24-12 11:22 AM
    Wi-Fi tethering can be expensive depends on which carrier you are with. I'm with Bell Canada, last month I had a $60 extra charge just for the 5 minutes Wi-Fi tether test I did with my Blackberry phone and Playbook. It's like $10/mb I think.
    Yikes, Call Bell and change your plan. Bell charges me nothing to Tether as well as Mobile Hotspot.

Brian
    07-24-12 11:33 AM
    so they can tether there iPod/wifi-only playbook, or any device that uses internet. To me this is a smart move by RIM.
    COOL IDEA!
    Purchase a PB with 4G to drive an iPad!
    Now you got a great combo.
    07-24-12 11:39 AM
    We've got 2 playbooks in the house, and was considering getting a 4G model, but now that Tim Horton's up here in Canada are getting wifi I think I'll be okay with the hot spots as there's a Timmies on every corner
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-24-12 11:46 AM
    Bell offers free tethering on any smartphone plan at least 50/60 month
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-24-12 12:09 PM
    Exactly.

This will NOT sell well. This will be another embarrassment, and will give RIM another black eye. The public will see once again that RIM isn't listening to what consumers demand and once again are releasing products no-one wants.
    I seriously doubt there will be any kind of public marketing push on these. I'm seeing these go for enterprise/vertical markets (law enforcement, maybe? Hmmm!)

These would be perfect laptop replacements for our field techs if our *&@#$ ticketing system didn't depend on ActiveX controls...
    07-24-12 12:30 PM
    ...*&@#$ ticketing system didn't depend on ActiveX controls...
    you either make an escape now or you will develop stomach
    ulcers!

MS also invented this lousy active server sided protocols (asp)
    and spoiled all Java scripts. and whoever used Word Perfect gets
    pi��ed off when having to use Word somewhere.

no 'power-point' in our meetings. slideshows made with good old
    Netscape's JavaScript and Java applets. they run on all
    contemporary platforms the staff comes up with. that includes
    the white fruit.

regards
    Damian
    07-24-12 01:29 PM
    If this goes up for sale in the U.S., and RIM manages to score a promotional unlimited data plan from either Verizon or AT&T then I'm in -- even for $550. It's highly unlikely, but its happened before.
    07-24-12 03:01 PM
    Why would that ever happen? V and ATT just basically said we aren't making enough money off of data and have now started forcing/charging customers into tiered plans of data usage....

with more families having more 3G devices and with 4G already here, people are using data at amazing rates and are going to be charged as if its a new born.

This would be cool to release before the almighty school year, but where is the marketing? Im guessing it drops later
    07-24-12 03:56 PM
    550 maybe for a 64g,its a bit steep for 32 unless they have something really worthwhile in 2.1 like maps usbotg skype netflix etc....
    07-24-12 04:03 PM
    Why would that ever happen? V and ATT just basically said we aren't making enough money off of data and have now started forcing/charging customers into tiered plans of data usage....

with more families having more 3G devices and with 4G already here, people are using data at amazing rates and are going to be charged as if its a new born.

This would be cool to release before the almighty school year, but where is the marketing? Im guessing it drops later
    The marketing is twitter,crackberry n4bb etc?
    07-24-12 04:04 PM
    Honestly I think they should have gone for 2GB of RAM, and upgraded at least one of the cameras to keep there edge in that area, at least compared tot he iPad.
    h20work likes this.
    07-24-12 04:59 PM
    so much for the Q4 roadmap leak...
    Very few people seem to have noticed that what was on the roadmap was Westminster 2 (or whatever the codename was), this thing is Westminster 1
    07-24-12 05:03 PM
    GRRR I was planning on buying this. Was expecting at most $399
    Did RIM learn NOTHING about their origional PlayBook's price?

People will not want to pay $550 + Tax for a 7" non Apple device!

....also, a SMALLER battery?
    atleast it will probably have PB OS 2.1..the release date explains why they said that OS 2.1 will be out by the end of July.
    1) $549 isn't a bad price for an outright purchase considering it will be FAR cheaper on contract. There will probably be promotions and offers which will see a lower price point too, and it's far cheaper than the cheapest 4G iPad.

2) They don't have 2.1 (at least at this stage). It's a custom version of 2.0 - the wait continues for 2.1.

3) This product is going to receive the BB10 upgrade next year, making it a pretty enticing option.
    07-24-12 06:22 PM
    Damian, I am sorry I have never watched a single episode of "South Park" so your comment is over my head.

Can you explain it to me on other terms please.

Thanks.
    I can't believe anyone has never seen an episode of sp you should just watch the movie, Canada figures very prominently
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-24-12 07:12 PM
    I just want the OS 2.1 update. Can i get the OS 2.1 update?

How about now?

NOW?
    If you're that desperate, why not use the beta? I'm using it now and I don't see a problem with it, other than massive improvement in Android player.
    07-24-12 08:27 PM
    The $550 is for a UNLOCKED 4G its probably like 250-300 with a contract
    Realistically I would be shocked if anyone would be willing to sign a contract for 2 or 3 years just to get a playbook. There are too many options to tether to an iPad mini or nexus 7. Even if you're a bb owner, more people would likely take the hit in speed and just bridge to a wifi model.
    07-24-12 08:56 PM
168 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD