550 maybe for a 64g,its a bit steep for 32 unless they have something really worthwhile in 2.1 like maps usbotg skype netflix etc....
    You right, my friend
    07-24-12 09:08 PM
    It just seems premature to expect people to commit to a 2 or 3 year contract months before we even see what BB10 is like, and probably a year before anyone will know if BB10 will be a viable platform.

I understand they feel the need to deliver this version this year, so they can demonstrate meeting a schedule. However, it seems extremely unlikely this will sell outside of Canada, and another high profile failure will further damage developer confidence (not to mention investor confidence).

So I hope they do a small run of these in Canada only, declare victory, and then move on to the much more important BB10 phones.
    07-24-12 09:11 PM
    It's been promised at, so it should be delivered.

Then again, why do you guys keep talking about data plans and carrier contract? I'm not even sure that US is the main target market for PB 4G. Perhaps RIM is aiming at developing country like Brazil, Indonesia, Vietnam, in which WiFi access is limited. Yes, it's true that 4G connectivity is not supported there, but new iPad is selling like hot cake here in Indonesia.

Unfortunately $550 is such a let down for many! It should be marketed at around $400. At that price point, people would rather get Tab 7.7 or Tab 7.0 Plus instead.
    07-24-12 09:33 PM
    It's been promised at, so it should be delivered.
    Nailed it.

This is less about RIM making huge profits or getting pricing right, and more about keeping their word and producing a product.

And for the record, it's a great product.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    07-24-12 09:33 PM
    550$ is fair if i can port all android/honeycomb apps. 550$ certainly will not sell... with existing quality and quantity of apps in the appworld being poor. Heck we don't even get a decent google reader. moreover no bb news in asia.

unless we can get quality apps, and a FAST tablet (not like now with these AIR apps on wifi pb), i would think that it will be another disappointment.
    07-25-12 02:24 AM
    Never buy a tablet or a phone based upon what it should do with update x or y, only buy if it does what you need it to do with the OS it comes pre�installed with.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-25-12 02:29 AM
    Never buy a tablet or a phone based upon what it should do with update x or y, only buy if it does what you need it to do with the OS it comes pre�installed with.

yeah we all buy our playbooks by heart and devotion and love of blackberry, while you (and me) buy the android tablets ( i got galaxy 8.9 3G) by logic and disappointing experience of the playbook.
    07-25-12 04:34 AM
    ....unless you are on AT&T and tethering, hotspot, etc., all include additional subscriptions
    o2 in uk include it in your blackberry bundle...i pay �15 a month for my torch with unlimited data ,and tethering is included.
    07-25-12 05:41 AM
    yeah, I like to assume that we all buy our playbooks by heart and devotion and love of blackberry, while you (and me) buy the android tablets ( i got galaxy 8.9 3G) by logic and disappointing experience of the playbook.
    Fixed it for you.
    07-25-12 06:28 AM
    yeah we all buy our playbooks by heart and devotion and love of blackberry, while you (and me) buy the android tablets ( i got galaxy 8.9 3G) by logic and disappointing experience of the playbook.
    Hah - I partly made that comment because I just read an article about how one of the biggest disappointments when buying technology (tablets, phones whatever) is because people buy on future potential rather than the actual capabilities of the device as sold - lots of people got stuck in that way with the touchpad and I have been guilty of that sort of thinking myself. Now, unless out of the box it doesn't fulfill my needs I don't get it.

07-25-12 06:42 AM
    Bell offers free tethering on any smartphone plan at least 50/60 month
    You mean tethering is permitted to use your data plan?

If I have just 1GB tethering uses that up doesn't it?
    07-25-12 08:37 AM
    You should be able to tether on a 1 GB just don't go crazy.....lol
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-25-12 08:46 AM
    Bell offers free tethering on any smartphone plan at least 50/60 month
    It's a company phone so not much I can do with the plan. But I know my company is paying $60/month for unlimited data for each Blackberry phone. So it probably depends on the data plans you have. We have disabled the wifi hotspot on all the phones through BES since we found out how expensive it is.
    07-25-12 10:27 AM
    07-25-12 10:45 AM
    Don't know what RIM is plan or thinking for pushing something that people is not too interested (at this moment) instead of prioritizing BB10.... the present PlayBook failed to attract consumer not because it has 1GHz CPU and only wifi-version... where did they got that information!?!

Anyway, good luck to PB 4G...

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    07-25-12 10:57 AM
    I seriously doubt there will be any kind of public marketing push on these. I'm seeing these go for enterprise/vertical markets (law enforcement, maybe? Hmmm!)
    I whole-heartedly agree. With bridge capabilities for the existing PlayBooks, the average consumer will not require this new device.

Enterprise/law enforcement however, this is more enticing for them for mobile applications.

PlayBook, even in this 4G offering - will continue to be a half-baked stepping stone towards BB10. They will draw on learnings from piloting these products, prior to BB10 release - we should hope.
    07-25-12 12:06 PM
    It's a company phone so not much I can do with the plan. But I know my company is paying $60/month for unlimited data for each Blackberry phone. So it probably depends on the data plans you have. We have disabled the wifi hotspot on all the phones through BES since we found out how expensive it is.
    It's hit or miss. I was with Bell, at the beginning I had a 500MB plan, and they still allowed tethering (Yeah, I couldn't do much, so I didn't think about it), when I upgraded to unlimited data, it was turned off until I asked for it.

Last month I recently received an e-mail from Bell advising that they are once again offering free tethering with any plan of at least 50/month and 1 GB.

When I upgraded to my 9900 and later upgraded to 7.1 (Mobile HotSpot FTW) I actually had a use for it. If you are going to use the data anyways...why not.

My BES (9360/Rogers/Unlmt Plan) allows us the use of the HotSpot, but we were warned that, depending on usage, we may be asked to justify the data amounts....lmao
    07-25-12 12:10 PM
    Hate me for saying this but RIM is going to be crucified if it actually costs 550
    07-25-12 12:11 PM
    yikes that is a huge price increase for not gaining much new
    Keep in mind it will most likely be sometyhing like $199 on a 3 Year Term.
    07-25-12 12:52 PM
    07-25-12 01:37 PM
    Nah, antiRIM - pretty sure that it's not.
    07-25-12 02:15 PM
    I might consider it, but due to my financial constraints, I might not be able to get one and sell my 16GB playbook.
    07-25-12 02:33 PM
    I would have liked to see a higher resolution screen too.
    07-25-12 03:28 PM
    The pixel density for the playbook is stable enough for 1152x764 to be sharp enough.

Alas, the 640x480 resolution of the 9900 can support 720x480 or 800x600.
    07-25-12 03:43 PM
    Not sure if its real.. What do you guys think?
    BlackBerry PlayBook HSPA 16GB, Wi-Fi 4G Unlocked , 7in - Black | eBay
    If you look at the pictures in the auction it's clear that this is just a regular 16GB WiFi PlayBook.
    07-26-12 12:38 PM
168 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD