Yeah the msrp is ridiculous (if it's true) but the subsidized price is all the really matters, as everyone else already covered.

If you were going to buy it un-subsidized, odds are you care less about the data plan anyways and you might as well just get a wifi version for a lot cheaper.
    07-23-12 05:25 PM
    I just want the OS 2.1 update. Can i get the OS 2.1 update?

How about now?

NOW?
    ralfyguy likes this.
    07-23-12 05:53 PM
    hmm... 500MhZ increase in processor speed -- 500mAh decrease in battery capacity. .... then there's battery-sucking LTE.

4800mAh won't cut it, no matter what code you add in the software to keep battery consumption down.

This must either be a serious typo or RIM's lost its marbles. Once word gets out about poor battery life in addition to the cloud hanging over the current PB (apps-wise), this will not sell well even at subsidized prices.

Astonishingly sad.
    07-23-12 05:59 PM
    I mean I wouldn't buy it since I already have a PB and I can just use my phone for internet on the go, but if I had the money to blow I would in a heartbeat. But what people need to understand is the $550 is WITHOUT signing a contract. With a contract, it will probably be $200 or so. Same thing with phones.
    07-23-12 06:07 PM
    I can't believe RIM has wasted any time on this.
    07-23-12 06:10 PM
    This has debacle written all over it. Not much of an improvement, not even the resolution?
    07-23-12 06:31 PM
    Exactly.

This will NOT sell well. This will be another embarrassment, and will give RIM another black eye. The public will see once again that RIM isn't listening to what consumers demand and once again are releasing products no-one wants.
    kingest_kong likes this.
    07-23-12 06:39 PM
    It's possible they had tons of playboooks still in inventory and simply reconditioned them to make them at least more sellable.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-23-12 06:51 PM
    I agree that this PB is better suited to receive the BB10 OS once it hits so there is lots of potential there but I think the price point is really going to hamper any momentum that it could gain by having LTE. RIM is still in a position that they need to continue underpricing the PB. Whether that reality is their fault or not is another debate

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    07-23-12 07:22 PM
    How many of you will shell out lets say 300 for this and sign a 2-3 year contract at 30 a month. Especially with the bridge capabilities that are free.
    07-23-12 07:41 PM
    I'm sure the $550 pricemark is just unlocked and will drop when you purchase with a carrier. I know that RIM isn't in a great position, but as I see it, consumers that have never heard of a playbook will at least be able to go onto a carrier site and see the 4G playbook specs (then google for reviews and see there is also a wifi version as well..-hopefully). So I believe selling a 4G LTE version will also increase sales on the wifi-only playbook as well.
    07-23-12 07:41 PM
    I find a tablet having the ability to be used anywhere is much better than just wifi. I have a 3g galaxy tab and it has come in handy over the road many times.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    07-23-12 07:47 PM
    ooh i agree i like the idea of having LTE acess everywhere and such but how many are actually plan on doing it? I know some companies really do like the standalone product.
    07-23-12 07:53 PM
    I wouldn't do it even if it was a non bridge tablet OS and the tablet cost $99. The data plans are just too much of a rip off period.

I'd rather just rely on my phone if I absolutely can't find wifi. There's no reason I absolutely need mobile data on a tablet (this also ignores stuff like Mifi and tethering, although tethering has it's own problems).

But people like spending their money, so I'm sure many people will do it...
    Bakamushi likes this.
    07-23-12 08:25 PM
    I can , just wait a few months and they'll be $99 with contract.

Can't believe everything they stuck with 1gb of ram. I begged and pleaded for 2gb, oh well rim knows better than the consumer once again.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    07-23-12 08:36 PM
    ....unless you are on AT&T and tethering, hotspot, etc., all include additional subscriptions
    Not for much longer. In August ATT will offer the shared data plans with free tethering/hotspot.
    Last edited by randall2580; 07-23-12 at 08:46 PM.
    07-23-12 08:43 PM
    I honestly don't see the point in a separate 4G tablet when most smartphones can tether nowadays unless it's for work. I myself am fine with my wifi version and have no plan to purchase a 4G version when I can already tether when away from home and can't find a wifi hotspot.
    If it were a $150 trade in and ATT wolud put it on my existing contract, and it had 64 meg memory like my current one, then I would be interested.
    07-23-12 09:11 PM
    Rimm brings all the bad news on themselves. They are not addressing the consumers concerns at all...A 600 tablet with mediocre apps = another inventory write down in a few months.:thumbdown:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-23-12 09:22 PM
    I really am having a hard time taking the leak seriously just due to how crazy this all seems. Can you really command a $300 premium with the inclusion of LTE and +0.5ghz?
    07-23-12 09:28 PM
    I hope your not right...
    07-23-12 09:29 PM
    $550 IS OBVIOUSLY THE UNLOCKED PRICE!!!

This leak can't give a non-unlocked price value because some carriers will offer different prices!! SO PLEASE STOP SAYING "Wow thats to much $$$"!!!!!!

Ideally this should drop to around $250 - $300 with a contract.
    9of13 likes this.
    07-23-12 10:09 PM
    Anyone else find it a little bit odd that RIM has yet to do any official announcements about this; particularly in light of the fact that it's release date is so soon?
    07-23-12 10:17 PM
    How many of you will shell out lets say 300 for this and sign a 2-3 year contract at 30 a month. Especially with the bridge capabilities that are free.
    Observing the PB marketing effort in New York City, RIM is targeting the business and government market. They are building relationships with many small tech companies and Google employees. I know this from discussions with these folk at the RIM event near the Google HQ. Also, they are doing extensive NY Times Business Section ads.

The first purchasers will be commercial and gov't users before retail sales.
    Monthly operating cost and initial purchase is not an issue if the appropriate Enterprise apps are available.

Network tablets have not been important profit centers for makers like Apple, but, these tablets are needed to balance their product line. RIM must have long since had the product ready for roll out. Production on a limited basis is not a problem if they must only layer the network hardware over the current bones.

Regarding 'bridge', not every smart phone owner has a BB. Many companies now allow their workers to select their own phones (except for those who are on BB BEs).
    Last edited by mandony; 07-23-12 at 10:27 PM.
    07-23-12 10:19 PM
    Anyone else find it a little bit odd that RIM has yet to do any official announcements about this; particularly in light of the fact that it's release date is so soon?
    RIM just released a new Desktop Manager ... THAT SUPPORTS PLAYBOOK 4G
    07-23-12 10:29 PM
    lol what a joke, they dont change anything except overclock the processor a little more, and if the battery is really 4800mAh thats over 10% lower than what the current one is, and the new ones going to use more power! RIM has really out done themselves this time.
    07-23-12 10:30 PM
168 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD