The 4G LTE PB battery is demolished when running the radio which is the nature of the beast. However, in the last couple of days, suddenly the battery is also cratering on wifi and even when the device is in standby the back of it is warm and losing about 10% an hour in battery. I'm running .668 as this is the latest OS for this device.

Several restarts and changing email to poll manually has not stopped this. The only other app that is running is bridge. I just updated my 9900 OS from .714 to .746 which I think maybe updated the bridge app but I'm unsure. This is the only thing that has changed.

I see after a search that there are complaints about PB OS2.1 and bridge but I'm not running that OS.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    10-28-12 03:27 PM
    Kill bridge. You have LTE, only run bridge when needed.
    Next, pull the SIM, turn off, give the SIM a good rub with your thumb, put the SIM back in and reboot.

See what happens. Let us know.

Also, get in the habit of turning on the radios when you need them and off when you don't. The battery will thank you.
    10-28-12 04:43 PM
    Actually, MANUALLY polling for email is worse for the battery and runs it down - bug.
    10-28-12 05:49 PM
    Wow. I would have thought the opposite about the polling - why is that as it seems counter intuitive?

In any case, it doesn't appear to be the bridge. It appears you must be right about the email set to manual. Before reading your post, I deleting the email account out of desperation given that turning off the bridge didn't seem to help. Now the back of the device is nice and cool again so once its charged back up I'll add the email account back in and test it out having it poll at some time interval - or should it just be set to push?

Thanks all.
    10-28-12 07:02 PM
    Wow. I would have thought the opposite about the polling - why is that as it seems counter intuitive?

In any case, it doesn't appear to be the bridge. It appears you must be right about the email set to manual. Before reading your post, I deleting the email account out of desperation given that turning off the bridge didn't seem to help. Now the back of the device is nice and cool again so once its charged back up I'll add the email account back in and test it out having it poll at some time interval - or should it just be set to push?

Thanks all.
    Manual sync power drain is a BUG. I quipped about the fact that "manual labor" takes more energy than automation and so Rim has followed suit with email. I think PUSH is okay as are regular intervals.
    mhw100 likes this.
    10-28-12 10:09 PM
    Thanks again. That must be it.
    10-28-12 10:51 PM
    I need clarification here about the push feature. When the PB is set to push, it is actually constantly polling the mail server rather than actually "pushing" right?
    10-29-12 08:13 AM
    No push is just that, it gets pushed to your device. Polling is what most desktop mail apps do, every 5 minutes or whatever it will poll the mail server to check for mail.
    10-29-12 09:25 AM
    But setting it to push, causes my phone battery to drain as opposed to a specific interval. I bridged my phone so that my pb for native mail.

However, push causes my phone to heat up. Hence my impression that pb push means constantly connected to the mail server.
    10-29-12 11:06 AM
    Don't know what to tell you. I'm bridged all day long, the native email client is setup with defaults. I do not have you issue. It may be with a certain type of account I do not know.
    10-29-12 11:20 AM