Numbers? 50,000 Xoom's + how many other devices that are just starting to trickle onto the market?

Jeez, I really don't feel like googling all the tablets, but to be short the Transformer has had trouble shipping and meeting demand, roughly distributing 100k a month.

PlayBook Sales May Begin to Plateau

Link sayign that xoom and playbook have sold about the same.

Not even counting the Acer tablet, the honeycomb sales are more.

Not trying to hate, but trying to not get bad information spread around here.
    05-26-11 09:24 AM
    through the eyes of an American, meaning the rest of the world only exists to support an argument, if the existence of the rest of the world is counter to the argument, the world does not exist.
    Hahaha! And THAT is the beginning of wisdom. American wisdom!
    05-26-11 09:29 AM
    Jeez, I really don't feel like googling all the tablets, but to be short the Transformer has had trouble shipping and meeting demand, roughly distributing 100k a month.

PlayBook Sales May Begin to Plateau

Link sayign that xoom and playbook have sold about the same.

Not even counting the Acer tablet, the honeycomb sales are more.

Not trying to hate, but trying to not get bad information spread around here.
    Transformer was just released and they can only sell 100,000 a month because of production limitations. Found an article on the Xoom that says that sales are between 50,000 and 120,000, even though motorola made 800,000. Another article said 25,000.

Now comes Global Equities analyst Trip Chowdry to sprinkle more doom and gloom on Motorola's outlook. According to Chowdry's estimates, Motorola has manufactured between 500,000 and 800,000 Xooms so far, but has sold only 5% to 15% of them. That places the number of Xooms sold between 25,000 and 120,000. Chowdry's estimate may cover a large range, but even at the high end, 120,000 sold out of 800,0000 made isn't a great scenario for Motorola.
    So if RIM has sold 450,000 (which is also speculation), which isn't including direct to business sales since they are only doing big box surveys, I would say my statement is either correct, or damn close.

I don't think, other than the Xoom, that there is even a decent supply of Honeycomb tablets on the market. Nvidia's CEO is not happy with Tegra 2 sales and it should be the chip in every Honeycomb tablet. I do think many more Honeycomb tablets will start selling more when the new Galaxy tabs come out and 3.1 OS is released. And when they open source Honeycomb then you'll see a glut of cheap crap running it hit the market.

I freely admit and caveat that my statement is using information that is from a lot of assumptions of analysts so I can't say if I'm right or wrong for sure.
    05-26-11 09:57 AM
    They are all just guessing. Sales will not be linear so you can't just project out month 1 x 12 to get an annual number. You expect more sales the first month or so and then for it to level off. You need to figure in launches oversees in new markets which may or may not balance out the slow down in US/Canada sales after launch date. Even harder for a RIM product is that just a few large corporate sales (or lack of them) could totally skew the sales numbers. RIM will tell us what they sold, until them analysts really have no clue beyond the current quarter on this particular product.
    05-26-11 10:06 AM
    Application developers want a product that sells well, that also has a user base that wants to buy apps

And Applications help sell the products, it is a horrible cycle
    Yes, it's a horrible cycle. That's why I always said RIM should double its effort for homegrown apps -- you cannot be better served but by yourself.

But ultimately, this platform will gain traction in terms of apps only when phones with it start to come out and, consequently, users growth accelerate.
    05-26-11 10:13 AM
    If this is true and there is so much bias then how did RIM products become so successful to begin with?
    Maybe they became successful despite the bad press/media bias against them?

Unfortunately the tablet/smartphone world is viewed by many with "apple" colored glasses. If something doesn't sell as well as the equivalent iDevice, or doesn't end up being the iDevice killer, then it is a "failure".

These numbers look great for a new product with new OS, especially with all the bad press it got. Also RIM has direct sales to business and government that may not be taken into account. Hopefully they'll release a number on June 16 that will shock people by being high. Looks like they've already sold more than all the Honeycomb tablets combined!

I think that sales will pick up dramatically in the fall and holidays if RIM delivers on all the summer promises.
    So true. Even in the mainstream media, I often hear them mentionning that the PB launch didn't generate long line-ups in front of stores, as if it was expected to generate line-ups. The media is simply part of the bandwaggon and lacks perspective these days. They don't understand that Apple is the exception, not the rule. I mean since when does consumer electronic device release generate lineups, except next-gen videogame consoles that get released every 6-7 years and iProducts?
    Last edited by Intosh; 05-26-11 at 10:28 AM.
    05-26-11 10:19 AM
    Numbers? 50,000 Xoom's + how many other devices that are just starting to trickle onto the market?
    xoom shipped around 250k units for Q1 for motorola, not 50k. and as said the transformer is selling great, when they can stock it. i truly think the transformer will be number 2-3 tablet once asus can get its production up to 300k a month in june. It will easily outsell the xoom
    05-26-11 10:28 AM
    xoom shipped around 250k units for Q1 for motorola, not 50k. and as said the transformer is selling great, when they can stock it. i truly think the transformer will be number 2-3 tablet once asus can get its production up to 300k a month in june. It will easily outsell the xoom
    Shipped and sold are two different things. All I can find is that they shipped 200,000 around the end of April, and had produced 800,000. So their are a lot of Xoom's in retail warehouses and Motorola's too.
    05-26-11 10:50 AM
    Shipped and sold are two different things. All I can find is that they shipped 200,000 around the end of April, and had produced 800,000. So their are a lot of Xoom's in retail warehouses and Motorola's too.
    good point. Remember in January when Samsung claimed it sold 1 Million Galaxy tablet? this was channel stuffing factory shipments and Samsung had to retract. Many of those units are still at Best buy.
    05-26-11 11:03 AM
    yup i agree, being based here in north america, they don't give NOKIA or RIM much of a break which is kinda sad. brainwashing people to believing that their products are crap
    Let us not forget that the low reputation of Nokia in the US is mainly the fault of Nokia and their approach a few years ago on bringing their brand to the consumer. While US mainly got the cheap mass market phones with 0$ on a new subscription the high tech gadgety phones were sold mainly in Europe where Nokia had a much higher reputation for high class phone devices. Well, the factor that Nokia somehow overslept the last rush of phone technology adds to the misery Nokia is in at the moment.
    05-26-11 11:36 AM
    I haven't found a negative yet on the transformer, at least what i care about. With its low price, I don't see why it wouldn't sell right behind the Ipad once production is up.

That is, of course, if you want the honeycomb OS, which many people aren't really a fan of.
    05-26-11 12:10 PM
    I have the PB and I do enjoy using it but my honest opinion?

You can blame the guy for being bias but the point is he's comparing the PB to what's out there in the market. Yes the PB is new and only been in the market for 1 month but I've said it before, consumers are not patient, they want a tablet they can use not a tablet that they can use fully 6 months later. The perception of "lack of apps" is going to hurt the PB but what's going to hurt the PB more is the OS itself is not fully ready. It's lacking in basic features that most tablets have (and I'm not talking about Word of mouth from consumers hurt more than any fancy add that RIM has on TV. RIm want's to play the game then it's got to be ready, you can't jump in and then say "well I haven't warmed up, it's not fair"
    05-26-11 12:28 PM
    with all this bad reviews etc. RIM is getting and coming from a first time user of BB(thats ME) I really do enjoy my PB, WTH been thinking of biting the bullet with 9900 as well, Blackberry lost its mojo and they need to do something to regain it back, fast! 450000 units is not really a big success when you compare it to Apple but it's a start! PB has a LOT of potential! Guys, don't forget that TAT is in the same boat with RIM, so that alone gets me excited and patient at the same time. Let's be patient and not be affected by all the negative thread that is floating around here cause in the end we're gonna win, yeah I'm positive! cheers
    05-26-11 04:59 PM
    Apple sells mostly through corporate stores. They place most of these stores in high traffic areas such as large malls and have their employees hawking mall traffic to come into the store to play with the products. Last night I went into an Apple store on a visit to a major So California mall, and the place was packed with people playing with all the products. It is easy to see why there are lines at Apple stores... they are strategically located, they have all the products nicely displayed, you can really play with all the products, the sales people mostly know what they are talking about, and there is no other competition at the Apple store!

Maybe they became successful despite the bad press/media bias against them?

So true. Even in the mainstream media, I often hear them mentionning that the PB launch didn't generate long line-ups in front of stores, as if it was expected to generate line-ups. The media is simply part of the bandwaggon and lacks perspective these days. They don't understand that Apple is the exception, not the rule. I mean since when does consumer electronic device release generate lineups, except next-gen videogame consoles that get released every 6-7 years and iProducts?
    05-26-11 05:31 PM
    very true. here in jakarta we got big malls, some of the biggest in se asia. no specific blackberry stores that i know of. few apple stores. blackberries sold in cramped, smoky electronic malls, never in posh places. that really makes up the upmarket/smug image of apple, and generic population/commoners as user of the blackberries (bbm on the cheap, really , that annoying "whats your pin question").
    05-26-11 05:41 PM
    RIM tried corporate stores but they closed them.

What would you put in the RIM store today? Playbook, torch and promises of "superphones"?
    05-26-11 05:48 PM
    hmmm...wait...bold..bold II...bold II Jr... .. the stationary lines...bold, italics and underline blackberries!
    torch...torch 2....coming soon
    playbook side by side with storm...touchscreen mania! touch here! PGT !
    hmm...gemini..?
    what else, not much eh?
    05-26-11 05:53 PM
    RIM tried corporate stores but they closed them.

What would you put in the RIM store today? Playbook, torch and promises of "superphones"?
    Care to share your source for RIM run corporate stores that failed?
    They have licensed brand stores in a very few select locations, but I have NEVER read or seen RIM have a direct retail channel on their financials

Because I DO truly believe RIM could pull off a Retail Store today and moving forward.

Your retail Stores today would have

Playbook

Each Device would have 3-6 Different Cases
    You'd have Blackberry Branded Bluetooth Accessories
    You'd have OEM Batteries for Every Device released in the last 36 months
    You'd have Blackberry Apparel to Promote the "BBM me" culture,
    You'd have Training Staff, for both Corporate and Consumer users
    You'd have additional accessories like MicroSD Cards, USB cables, MicroHDMI Cables, screen cleaner

Moving Forward RIM would released a 10" Playbook to increase the tablet line, and they would also add more devices like the Blackberry Presenter to continue integration with the blackberry product line.

a Retail store supported by the factory giving higher margins than through distribution, as well as Carrier contract sales to assist in the payment of the sales staff would make them very feasible in todays market
    05-26-11 08:53 PM
    If you're not a Blackberry user, the Playbook is a tough sell. What would make the common Joe want a Playbook over any of the other tablets out there inc the Ipad? The Ipad gets tons of press, and the rest get lumped together in the Android class. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of BB, and will probably end up with a Playbook, but that's more because of what I do and how I would use it, but others would look differently out there...
    05-27-11 12:27 PM
    If you're not a Blackberry user, the Playbook is a tough sell. What would make the common Joe want a Playbook over any of the other tablets out there inc the Ipad? The Ipad gets tons of press, and the rest get lumped together in the Android class. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of BB, and will probably end up with a Playbook, but that's more because of what I do and how I would use it, but others would look differently out there...
    I agree.

I got my PB mainly for viewing documents, taking notes, etc.. and it doesn't even do that very well.

It has been nice to have something small with a good web browser on it. There are times when I don't want to carry my laptop around so it's good in that regard. As long as there's WiFi because the Bridge Browser never seems to work well.
    05-27-11 12:40 PM
    Your retail Stores today would have

Playbook

Each Device would have 3-6 Different Cases
    You'd have Blackberry Branded Bluetooth Accessories
    You'd have OEM Batteries for Every Device released in the last 36 months
    You'd have Blackberry Apparel to Promote the "BBM me" culture,
    You'd have Training Staff, for both Corporate and Consumer users
    You'd have additional accessories like MicroSD Cards, USB cables, MicroHDMI Cables, screen cleaner
    I think the issue is that the carriers like Verizon and ATT already have a dedicated section of their stores setup that way with BB stuff. A dedicated BB store would of course have an expanded selection and staff that would focus only on BB, but it would compete directly and heavily with the carriers' stores, which might be problematic if the carriers feel they will lose foot traffic.

I do like the idea of having training staff, it took me quite a few hours of Crackberry reading to figure out a lot of stuff on my 9700, so having someone to show me would be a plus. In fact, the training staff could use a Playbook that simulates the different phones.
    05-27-11 12:58 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD