When Playbook gets 3G and native mail, calendar and contacts will this be an upgrade to existing playbooks or will it be new hardware.
    Can I buy one now knowing it will be upgraded or will 3G be a new device?
    08-25-11 06:24 AM
    All updates except for 3g which would need to be new hardware.

However, if you use a Blackberry smartphone, the Playbook update released yesterday makes the existing Playbook "3g like". We can now browse the Web and use apps connected to the Internet without Wifi. With this last update, there is no point for RIM to release a 3g Playbook...my guess is that they will go 4g for higher speed if they can agree with a carrier.

Unless you want to wait for 4g if it ever comes, nothing stops you to get a Playbook now if you have a Blackberry.
    JockBerry likes this.
    08-25-11 07:02 AM
    If the new QNX phones are 4g, then the wifi only PB would become "4g" if the bridge connection can handle the data flow.
    08-25-11 07:13 AM
    If the new QNX phones are 4g, then the wifi only PB would become "4g" if the bridge connection can handle the data flow.
    The pipeline is restricted by (bridge) bluetooth speed. For that reason, the way to improve speed is WIFI hot spot. The newly arrived 9900 with OS7 (not QNX devices) do not currently include this. The QNX devices will likely include this by the end of the year product releases
    http://www.bgr.com/2011/08/08/rims-f...ch-in-q1-2012/
    Last edited by mandony; 08-25-11 at 01:03 PM.
    08-25-11 12:13 PM
    Purchased a 64G on Friday.
    Why did I wait so long, loving it.
    08-30-11 04:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD