Sorry to ask perhaps the same old questions, but I did search: got a 3g PB with about 75 pounds of apps, many sideloaded. If I buy a 4g PB, can I just load up my new PB with these apps, or do I need to buy another 75 lbs of apps ? If I then give my 3g PB to my daughter, will we be able to video chat? Doc Neutron.
    08-10-12 09:47 PM
    Ok, I can assist re the apps question ..... those apps are listed on your Blackberry PB account - so no matter what PB you're using you will have access to your PB App World account.

From my understanding re video chat - yes - anyone can chat to anyone else who uses a Playbook.
    08-10-12 09:58 PM
    Sideloaded apps will have to be reinstalled, assuming you have the bar files to do so. Also, as far as I know, if you use the same account number on both Playbooks, you will not be able to video chat with each other- at least not using the native PB video chat app. Lastly, what's a 3g pb?
    Heavens1 likes this.
    08-10-12 10:17 PM
    You can have the apps if you register any new pb with the same BBID. The apps will be listed under UNinstalled in appworld.

Now from various readings, if both pb's have the same bbid, you may not be able to chat (not sure if the PIN chat does or does not work with the same bbid). But if the older playbook is given a new bbid, then you will be able to chat.
    Heavens1 likes this.
    08-10-12 10:18 PM
    Sideloaded apps will have to be reinstalled, assuming you have the bar files to do so. Also, as far as I know, if you use the same account number on both Playbooks, you will not be able to video chat with each other- at least not using the native PB video chat app. Lastly, what's a 3g pb?
    Yeah, my bad. Although I must say surfing with my PB bluetooth linked to my Torch 9850 is Pas Mal. Still massively confused about apps and video chat. Proly gonna just get a 4g and see what happens. Doc Neutron
    08-11-12 10:21 AM
    You will not be able to V-chat with the same BBID on both units. The system uses email to call one another so they need to be different. I tried it on my units and only after I wiped the second one and re did it with a new BBID would they connect.

I'm hoping to try the same test again next week once my LTE unit arrives. See if they tie it to the PIN, but I'm not hopeful.
    08-11-12 10:41 AM
    You can have the apps if you register any new pb with the same BBID. The apps will be listed under UNinstalled in appworld.

Now from various readings, if both pb's have the same bbid, you may not be able to chat (not sure if the PIN chat does or does not work with the same bbid). But if the older playbook is given a new bbid, then you will be able to chat.
    I can help with this one: Video chat between PBs sharing a BBID does NOT work.

After reading various posts saying it did/didn't work I went and tried it.

I tried the various combinations of addressing by BBID/PIN, and on same/different WiFi networks (with the help of a neighbour). The error message you get differs, but the bottom line is that for video chatting to work the PBs need to be on different BBIDs.

It boils down to a choice: A shared BBID allows sharing of the Apps, but nada to video chatting... different BBIDs allow video chatting, but each PB has a separate AppWorld account (so you need to buy Apps twice).
    FF22 likes this.
    08-11-12 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD