Can you just not use POP3? Then you can leave emails on there forever.

Personally emails don't sit on my phone for more than a few hours. They're deleted quickly after reading (keeps clutter off the phone) and I respond when I'm back at the computer.
    02-19-13 12:18 AM
    According to the post below and a twitter exchange with someone in Blackberry development, a "longer than 30 days" email sync option is on the list of planned BB10 enhancements:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...g-soon-775464/
    02-25-13 05:33 PM
    According to the post below and a twitter exchange with someone in Blackberry development, a "longer than 30 days" email sync option is on the list of planned BB10 enhancements:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...g-soon-775464/
    i hope so. I stopped using my Z10 already cause i cant access more than 1 month of emails from my multiple email accounts (work and private). It's pretty ridiculous only being able to have 30 days of email.
    03-01-13 03:01 PM
    i hope so. I stopped using my Z10 already cause i cant access more than 1 month of emails from my multiple email accounts (work and private). It's pretty ridiculous only being able to have 30 days of email.
    If any of your accounts is using Exchange ActiveSync, you should be able to use the remote search function to find and/or work with messages that don't fall within the max 30-day sync time range. I don't think the Z10 has the feature for IMAP accounts though.
    03-01-13 06:11 PM
    This was the one major thing I was hoping would be fixed with BB10. Absolutely every other tablet in the world supports this. Just awful.

Blackberry = FAIL!
    It's possible that there is something about Blackberry itself where it just simply can't do that.....
    ...Something about the way the O.S. was designed that prevents it from being able to pull older email.
    03-30-13 02:17 AM
    It's possible that there is something about Blackberry itself where it just simply can't do that.....
    ...Something about the way the O.S. was designed that prevents it from being able to pull older email.

I'm more inclined to think that it was a conscious decision of people who think like system administrators, people like myself, ie "If we give people this option to save every file and message they have ever encountered, they will promptly do so until everything bogs down, storage and memory is exhausted, system slows to a crawl, massive data usage results in going over their plan quota costing them hundreds of dollars in overage fees, and then blame it all on us."
    meganVee, Toodeurep and meltbox360 like this.
    03-30-13 02:35 AM
    Hopefully THe CEO will expire in 30 days too....
    03-30-13 04:01 AM
    I'm more inclined to think that it was a conscious decision of people who think like system administrators, people like myself, ie "If we give people this option to save every file and message they have ever encountered, they will promptly do so until everything bogs down, storage and memory is exhausted, system slows to a crawl, massive data usage results in going over their plan quota costing them hundreds of dollars in overage fees, and then blame it all on us."
    Do you believe that the ability to reference email older than 30 days ( to over a year ) contributes....
    ...to iphones and Droids having massive data usage and sloth like system performance?
    03-30-13 03:16 PM
    Do you believe that the ability to reference email older than 30 days ( to over a year ) contributes....
    ...to iphones and Droids having massive data usage and sloth like system performance?

Since I haven't used the native email apps on those platforms with that sort of configuration I have no first-hand experience from which to form an accurate impression.

However anyone who doesn't think that such things entail much greater resource usage is not understanding the technology very well.

If this feature were completely without any sort of downside, then it would not be A) given as a choice to users at all, and B) NEVER the default choice.

Bear in mind: in Microsoft Exchange environments using Exchange ActiveSync (as just one example), system administrators have a setting which can throttle the age of historical items that users can synchronize.

Why do you suppose that configuration option exists?

It's not because all system administrators are simply determined to find more ways to make their users miserable.
    03-30-13 04:55 PM
    No it does not hinder performance or cause data issues on my android devices at all
    03-30-13 04:59 PM
    No it does not hinder performance or cause data issues on my android devices at all
    More info please.

There are various ways of syncing. Are you using the native app or something else? IMAP or EAS or proprietary Gmail? Are you syncing all your folders? Email headers only, headers and bodies, entire messages? How far back do your messages go and what is the complete size of your mailbox?

I have clients that have 15GB mailboxes. Trying to sync that whole thing to a Z10 is impossible without using an extra memory card, and even at that, not very smart.
    03-30-13 05:03 PM
    More info please.

There are various ways of syncing. Are you using the native app or something else? IMAP or EAS or proprietary Gmail? Are you syncing all your folders? Email headers only, headers and bodies, entire messages? How far back do your messages go and what is the complete size of your mailbox?

I have clients that have 15GB mailboxes. Trying to sync that whole thing to a Z10 is impossible without using an extra memory card, and even at that, not very smart.
    i ahve gmail set up thru the gmail app

3 accounts (outlook, hotmail, work) set up with push and with all inboxes completely synced. My hotmail has 3 folders synced and the rest dont use folders. I dont know the sizes but the email app is around 90-100 MBs big between data/cache/app. Complete emails are stored, none of that headers only stuff

Obviously I dont have 15 GBs of email and most people dont in your inbox mailbox. I have lots of folders utilized on my work account and they all dont sync. They would have to be searched or loaded on demand, just like your clients should do if they have that large of mailboxes probably
    03-30-13 05:20 PM
    i ahve gmail set up thru the gmail app

3 accounts (outlook, hotmail, work) set up with push and with all inboxes completely synced. My hotmail has 3 folders synced and the rest dont use folders. I dont know the sizes but the email app is around 90-100 MBs big between data/cache/app. Complete emails are stored, none of that headers only stuff

Obviously I dont have 15 GBs of email and most people dont in your inbox mailbox. I have lots of folders utilized on my work account and they all dont sync. They would have to be searched or loaded on demand, just like your clients should do if they have that large of mailboxes probably

It's still not clear to me what you are using for an email client there. Are you saying you switch from the proprietary Gmail app, to the native Android email app for outlook (I assume you mean Outlook.com), hotmail and "work". What does "work" mean specifically? Microsoft Exchange? What connection type?

Honestly, 90-100 MB for your entire synced email box, including "full messages" is microscopic. If that were all that anyone was syncing with the "forever" option, clearly resource-usage would not be an issue. But I can easily have a mailbox that big with less than 10 emails.
    Last edited by Omnitech; 03-30-13 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo
    03-30-13 05:27 PM
    It's still not clear to me what you are using for an email client there. Are you saying you switch from the proprietary Gmail app, to the native Android email app for outlook (I assume you mean Outlook.com), hotmail and "work". What does "work" mean specifically? Microsoft Exchange? What connection type?

Honestly, 90-100 MB for your entire synced email box, including "full messages" is microscopic. If that were all that anyone was syncing with the "forever" option, clearly resource-usage would not be an issue. But I can easily have a mailbox that big with less than 10 emails.
    i use the gmail app for gmail and stock email app for the rest using EAS.

Yes i know its pretty small but its probably 1000+ emails synced using the stock client and those 3 emails. Like i said i use folders to filter out stuff at work. I can set each folder on its on sync schedule and set if i want all or 1, 3, 7, 14 30 days.

The point is its all flexible and i have not experience any lag or data problems. Everyone is different but expecting 15 GBs worth of email on a device is probably not a concern for BB or even but a couple handfuls of people in the world. They would need much better email management and ways to access it than thru the standard email client on a mobile device
    03-30-13 05:58 PM
    I would argue that the BlackBerry target demographic is the group of people that would have large inboxes. I made an email just a year ago and I think I'm at 300mb. Come to think of it my email never really worked on android although if I had really tried to make it work maybe it would have. It was probably something I did though.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 06:04 PM
    Well in any case, thanks howarmat for your info. Always good to have more data points.

One way or another, Blackberry staff have already suggested that they were going to look at expanding the existing 30-day limit, according to some tweet I saw posted somewhere. I don't know if that means having an "unlimited" option or just something longer than 30 days.

In some ways I'm tempted to start using twitter if for no other reason than to follow some of that BBRY news, but given how many times some staff-member made promises via that communication method that didn't live up to the impressions given, it might be more of a curse than a blessing.
    03-30-13 06:15 PM
    Well in any case, thanks howarmat for your info. Always good to have more data points.

One way or another, Blackberry staff have already suggested that they were going to look at expanding the existing 30-day limit, according to some tweet I saw posted somewhere. I don't know if that means having an "unlimited" option or just something longer than 30 days.

In some ways I'm tempted to start using twitter if for no other reason than to follow some of that BBRY news, but given how many times some staff-member made promises via that communication method that didn't live up to the impressions given, it might be more of a curse than a blessing.
    The good news get reported here within 10 minutes of Tweeting anyway, so don't bother. Bad news takes a little longer....
    03-30-13 06:52 PM
    Although this limitation isn't an issue for me, it is clearly a significant issue for a lot of others. Check out the discussion in the Z10 http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...option-789241/.
    03-30-13 07:11 PM
    Although this limitation isn't an issue for me, it is clearly a significant issue for a lot of others. Check out the discussion in the Z10 http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...option-789241/.
    This started out as a technical discussion.

I doubt it serves any great grand purpose to have even more people piling into heated "advocacy threads".
    03-30-13 07:29 PM
    I agree, but it certainly invoked quite the conversation.
    03-30-13 07:46 PM
    Thanks howarmat, I was attempting to get omnitech to admit this 'fact'....
    ...Given he stated the reverse of it was why he would never want to sync old emails.
    ...And why BBRY had designed it the way they did.

Now a point I had NOT considered was perhaps syncing old emails on BB10....
    ...Would cause THAT platform to use massive amounts of data and be be ground down to sloth speed.
    ...I suppose that's possible.
    03-30-13 07:48 PM
    Thanks howarmat, I was attempting to get omnitech to admit this 'fact'....
    ...Given he stated the reverse of it was why he would never want to sync old emails.
    ...And why BBRY had designed it the way they did.

The "fact" that you refer to has a lot to do with the specific circumstances of each person's usage. Howarmat's email box appears to be very small for something that contains 1,000 messages. Neither is 1,000 messages a lot of messages: I know people who can generate that many messages in a couple of weeks, and that's just their own sent messages. With the amount of lists that lots of people are on these days, accumulating 1,000 messages in a mailbox is easy.*

Neither did I ever imply that "no one would ever want to sync old emails".

"Forever" or "unlimited" in data communications terms is very often not anywhere close to what most people think.

* (Last time I checked, a couple of years ago, I was getting over 1,000 junkmail messages every 24 hours. But these days I don't even bother wading through that stuff looking for mis-categorized junk. Impossible task. Luckily the junk filter I use is extremely accurate.)

03-30-13 08:42 PM
    The "fact" that you refer to has a lot to do with the specific circumstances of each person's usage. Howarmat's email box appears to be very small for something that contains 1,000 messages. Neither is 1,000 messages a lot of messages: I know people who can generate that many messages in a couple of weeks, and that's just their own sent messages. With the amount of lists that lots of people are on these days, accumulating 1,000 messages in a mailbox is easy.*

Neither did I ever imply that "no one would ever want to sync old emails".

"Forever" or "unlimited" in data communications terms is very often not anywhere close to what most people think.

* (Last time I checked, a couple of years ago, I was getting over 1,000 junkmail messages every 24 hours. But these days I don't even bother wading through that stuff looking for mis-categorized junk. Impossible task. Luckily the junk filter I use is extremely accurate.)

Well, I go through my email accounts every couple of weeks and do a clean up.....
    ...There are however always emails I keep around for the reasons I ( & others ) listed .
    ...Those emails should not have a shelf life of 30 days when Droid or IOS doesn't require it.
    ...Given the market share of those two platforms & the decreasing market share of BBRY.

I just don't see a reason for BBRY to fail to deliver the minimum email abilities of Droid and IOS.....
    ...Especially when BBRY cut it's teeth as the company that could deliver email better than any other.
    ...My Bold 9930 pulls old emails up with no problem.

I agree with you that pulling gigs of old email is 'unreasonable' and I don't think people expect that...
    ...I just don't want to see BBRY soil it's own bed AGAIN like it did with BB7 and the fisher price camera.
    ...I'm seeing this email issue as similar to that.
    03-30-13 10:22 PM
    The problem isn't how many messages are in someone's mailbox or how many gigabytes it takes, it's that BB10 and PBOS offer no choice. It's a 30-day window for email, take it or leave it. Those emails are still on the server but you can't see them from your device. For devices that supposedly focus on productivity, that's totally unacceptable.

My Symbian phone can sync up to 999 messages over IMAP and EAS without bogging down. Not bad for something ten years old The Playbook OS was built from the ground up recently but its email handling is poor, and BB10 carries a lot of those problems over.

My suggestion to BB is to offer a time or message count limit so users can choose how many emails they can keep on their device: some may want the last 100 messages, some may prefer a 60-day sync window. A total sync option should also be included but there should be a warning that it could slow down the device, cause birds to fall from the sky, etc...
    kevinnugent and malcerie like this.
    03-30-13 11:12 PM
    A total sync option should also be included but there should be a warning that it could slow down the device, cause birds to fall from the sky, etc...
    I think it should warn users that an Apple or a Droid might fall on their head.

A lot of the sync clients I've seen give options to sync only headers, only headers and message bodies, or the whole message including attachments.

I think that making any long-term sync not sync attachments by default would mitigate most of the liability of such features. (Especially since BIS not only never did that either, you also typically had to ask for "more" even after looking at just a small section of the message body too.)
    03-31-13 12:09 PM
50 12