Anyone heard if BB10 also has the 30-day limit on emails. Haven't seen any reference to it in reviews, which is odd considering BB10 is derived from the same OS that has that limit.
    02-01-13 06:31 PM
    You haven't heard about it reviews because BB10 allows you to set email sync to "Forever" instead of just 30 days.
    02-01-13 09:51 PM
    The longest setting I have in the advanced settings in my email setup for Exchange is 30 days. This may just be a limit of exchange given the above poster can set his forever.
    02-02-13 12:24 AM
    others reported the 30 days limit on the activesync settings, no forever setting. Some same it depends on the account but on my android devices i have no limit and on the PB i am limited to 30 days. I dont have a bb10 device to try out yet and test so i cant say for sure there.
    arm3090 likes this.
    02-02-13 12:27 AM
    I'm kinda stupid, so could you please explain what the 30 days limit means and why it's important?

Thanks, Dum Dum out
    02-02-13 12:48 AM
    Anyone heard if BB10 also has the 30-day limit on emails. Haven't seen any reference to it in reviews, which is odd considering BB10 is derived from the same OS that has that limit.
    I think you might have misunderstood the 30 day thing.
    I believe what you heard is when you set up a new email account on BB10, it will only allow you to retrieve emails up to a maximum of 30 days old to the phone.
    cdnynot likes this.
    02-02-13 12:51 AM
    OP here. What I was referring to was PB's 30-limit on keeping emails (not retrieving them). After 30 days, PB eliminates old emails. Thus, you don't get to keep email for longer than 30 days on the PB. So my question is, does the same apply to BB10. I can't imagine Rim would make such a colossal error, but then I can't imagine why it restricts email to 30 on the PB either.
    PS. I am aware PB can access older emails via Ghost Commander, but that is so lame.
    02-02-13 09:26 AM
    How is it an error? If I want something older I boot up my computer? I don't believe it's or Android sync more than 1 month either?
    02-02-13 09:32 AM
    How is it an error? If I want something older I boot up my computer? I don't believe it's or Android sync more than 1 month either?
    i have access to ALL emails on my android devices

02-02-13 09:53 AM
    My understanding was that even though active sync removed messages from the playbook after 30days, if you put a query into the search field it should poll the server and return all results.. that would be just fine for me.. if I need something that old I'm gonna search for it, not scroll through thousands of messages.. BUT i'm not finding that to be the case.. when I search on my playbook it only finds results during the past 30 days.. can anyone else confirm?
    02-02-13 10:00 AM
    ActiveSync has a 30 day limit. Not Forever. On my Z10 it has a 30 day limit.
    02-02-13 10:03 AM
    My understanding was that even though active sync removed messages from the playbook after 30days, if you put a query into the search field it should poll the server and return all results.. that would be just fine for me.. if I need something that old I'm gonna search for it, not scroll through thousands of messages.. BUT i'm not finding that to be the case.. when I search on my playbook it only finds results during the past 30 days.. can anyone else confirm?
    yes that is all i can access to. as it stands now you would have to go to the browser and log in and look up the email. That is NOT a solution to this issue
    02-02-13 10:04 AM
    Sorry. I have 'em all on my android phone
    02-02-13 04:27 PM
    Still lame. I'll often archive or move to other folders the older ones I want to keep. But PB's 30-day limit prevents even that. Makes it at best a backup device when I go travelling and don't have access to my laptop. If Z10 works the same way, count me out. That would be a colossal error on BB's part.
    02-02-13 04:30 PM
    This was the one major thing I was hoping would be fixed with BB10. Absolutely every other tablet in the world supports this. Just awful.

Blackberry = FAIL!
    02-03-13 01:59 PM
    There is legitimate reason to limit to 30 days, ie., for business users, however it is bone-head to think all business users want such limits much less non-business users. Bb should have a security opt-out on setup that will allow a 90-day and forever settings on email, and the ability for superuser access.

A overly hardened system is as ill-functional and imprudent as overly open ones. Users want to have options.

I have discarded using Messages a year ago for a sideloaded Android app, and have the functions and options I expect and need. And regular updated features to boot.
    May Hem likes this.
    02-03-13 05:16 PM
    Yes, I'm using an Android app as well. Works well. Only problem with that approach is I can't configure it to install my Yahoo contacts - a problem that many others are having. Almost 2 years in to the PB, and RIM still can't do email.
    02-03-13 05:40 PM
    Can't you just forward the email to yourself every 30 days and then you'll have the ability to view your email?
    02-03-13 11:44 PM
    I use gmail with the BB10 and have it set up with many different folders for different contracts. These contracts often run longer than 2 months and referencing to the details in the folders (or simply messages over 30 days) is required. I think that BB should have an option for "forever" sync.
    02-11-13 08:55 AM
    Just got the BB10 and trying to get a "forever" sync as well.

My iPhone4s has a "forever" sync for Microsoft Exchange. Is there a work around for this?
    02-12-13 08:54 PM
    If you are on BES10, there's an option to set it to "forever" on the server side.
    02-12-13 09:02 PM
    If you are on BES10, there's an option to set it to "forever" on the server side.
    Sorry, no BES10 as this is a personal & business phone. I'm a business owner and do about 20-50 emails daily.
    02-12-13 09:05 PM
    You people who say that you can see very old messages on your devices, are you using Gmail? If not, who is your email provider and what email protocol/syncing method are you using for those accounts?

Because without a dedicated app (ie built-in Gmail app for Android) it is extremely resource-intensive to try to synchronize a busy mailbox going back 10 years and keep it all on the device. Even desktop apps often bog-down if the person has a gigantic mailbox.

Apple had a "days to sync" option for EAS-linked accounts which had a theoretically "unlimited" option, but it appears that Apple doesn't promote that (see this Apple KB link where it is not even mentioned, implies 30 days is the max), and the operator of the server can override it anyway. (Users trying to sync multi-GB mailboxes are a big resource hog so it's understandable why many sysadmins limit that)

Dedicated apps don't have the same issue because they can use proprietary methods to access the webmail contents and use its indexes and so on.

Maybe that unlimited or "forever" option in iOS is why iOS 6.1 devices have been causing so many problems with MS Exchange servers that businesses have been blocking Apple devices en-masse to protect their systems.
    02-18-13 04:27 AM
    i just use the default android app for my hotmail and can go back to 2001 in one of my folders. There isnt much in the folder, maybe 200-300 emails at most. I dont have that folder synced though so it takes maybe a minute to bring them all up
    02-18-13 11:45 AM
    i just use the default android app for my hotmail and can go back to 2001 in one of my folders. There isnt much in the folder, maybe 200-300 emails at most. I dont have that folder synced though so it takes maybe a minute to bring them all up
    Well Hotmail used to be webmail only, then perhaps webmail plus POP3. EAS support only appeared around 2010 or so. POP3 is no big deal because you're not syncing, those messages are locally downloaded once and just sit there thereafter. Especially not a big deal if you only have a few hundred messages.

One support doc I ran across yesterday discussing usage of iPhones for email in a school system suggested that the "forever" option in iOS for MS Exchange accounts worked OK...... as long as you only had no more than 100 messages in your inbox.
    02-18-13 11:43 PM
50 12