Well, we're approaching the three year mark for the playboook release. I pre-ordered mine based on all the hype and promises RIM made. Ended up with one of the original models with the recessed power-buttons that RIM told reviewers were not going to market.

It was over priced and left a trail of broken promises in its wake but like an abused spouse I stayed with it, hoping things would get better. I still use it everyday, although in the last month it has really started to show its age. The battery doesn't last more than a few hours, it won't charge when turned on, aps crash constantly, the browser checkerboards like crazy, facebook can't load comments or pictures, and most of the time my pc can't even detect it when it is plugged into it anymore. It's almost time to put it out to pasture, although i'm hopeful re-loading the OS will bring some life back (if I can ever get it backed up...).

All told it's been a very useful device in my life and i'll be sorry when I finally have to replace it, despite its lack of features and the disappointments that came with it.

Anyone else also have and use a pre-ordered unit? Are you also experiencing the same issues as it reaches the end of its lifespan?
    46Nico40 likes this.
    03-27-14 01:11 PM
    I don't have the "recessed button" issue, but once you wipe and reload the OS, I think you will find it a bit more stable. The SSD in the PB can/does become fragmented, just like anything you store info on.

Just make sure you copy all of your vids/music/Images and Docs to a folder on your desktop, the stuff you don't want to lose. Then do the wipe and reload the OS and I think you will be a bit surprised.........

Did you do any sideloading on it? The sideloading aspect was wonky at best, 40/60 chance of the s.L. app working. That will add even more issues.

I have 2, one I sideloaded on, used it EVERY day since launch, and had to wipe/reload once, and getting ready to do it a second time. THe second is my media server to my audio/TV system, and that is the ONLY thing it was/is used for. It still screams. The OEM browser does su** tho....Use Origami Browser...

The Z30 has replaced my everyday/work Playbook, which is about to be destined for Nav use and music in the truck.

C
    nealjane1 likes this.
    03-27-14 01:29 PM
    Mine is still going strong. I only use mine purely for video and music playback. It's fast enough, and battery life getting me easily through a day.

As suggested above, when things start to go wonky, backup and reload the OS from time to time. It's much snappier afterwards. :-)
    03-27-14 04:00 PM
    I've had to reload the operating after trying a bunch of different apps that I side loaded. My playbook is used as a successful Internet browser
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-27-14 07:34 PM
    I've had to reload the operating after trying a bunch of different apps that I side loaded. My playbook is used as a successful Internet browser
    Yuppers, that is what kind of "soured" me too. Once I got it cleaned up (wiped and reloaded), back to old self (the PB, not me).
    And Origami Browser and the unit is still relevant.....to a point.

But still a great p.c of hardware..

c
    03-28-14 08:54 AM
    Well I was thinking of getting a playbook... yes... it's well into 2014 and it seems like I'm ready to do it. I was wondering what people think of it.

Can I load VLC controller on it? And does it have standalone GPS??? I would like to use it as a mapping device while on long hikes - keeping my phone for emergency communications.

What is the battery life like?

Anyone want to regale me with some fanatical feedback on this "avero-arrow" creation of a future Nortel Company?

(canadians.... I know.... but if Cuban and still rock those awesome cars, I will sport RIM until my hands are cold and stiff)
    03-30-14 07:36 PM