1.Do you really need your mail in 2-3 places?
    Most of us get our email from gmail, hotmail and yahoo. Cant you just got to your mail through your browser? next if you have secure emails haveing more places where your mail is, is a risk to your mail security.

2 less space on your playbook.
    for the 16 gb pb users email build up quick. that space can be used for something better

3 you have the bridge. i dont think there is alot of people who have a pb without a bb. I know most people with bb are never more than 3 feet away from the bb and their pb is kept in hand or bag. again what is the point of native email

Now when the 4g pb comes there will be somewhat of a reason to have native email. still im not leaving my phone anywhere where im not at.
    09-02-11 03:18 AM
    I have only one reason why I think native email is pointless... #1 You don't have email... 'cause if you have an email, every reason now is valid individually for having a native email...
    09-02-11 03:29 AM
    Native app will be quick and responsive, not laggy and annoying.

If you have a Blackberry phone you fly around emails and your productive, this is not the case with browser based email or bridge (essentially like web based anyway - website displaying your phones screen).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    howarmat likes this.
    09-02-11 03:42 AM
    I agree with the op and once native email is available I doubt I will ever use it. There just doesn't seem any point to it when I have my phone bridged. Although I can see the reason why non BB phone users would require it.
    T_Touch likes this.
    09-02-11 05:51 AM
    I've asked this everytime this subject has come up. What exactly does native email do for you? I have email 24/7 on my phone, 24/7 on my playbook when connected to the internet via wifi or bridge. And my browser based email and bridge email is as fast or faster than my phone or desktop computer for that matter.

I realize slow to some people is different than to others, but by laggy and annoying do you mean you can go make a sandwich while you wait for an email to open, or is it 2 1/2 seconds vs. 2 seconds.

Does native email let you send and receive emails when you're not connected to the internet? I'm doubting that, I don't really know what it does for you, I wish someone could tell me.

I also think this subject has been beat to death, it doesn't have native email right now, but it will some time in the future. Everyone should know this by now. Personally I don't need it but others seem to think they do, so they will just have to wait.
    09-02-11 05:54 AM
    i can see how you, personally might feel that way.
    However i have roughly 8 email accounts across 5 providers including my job. i personally want a native email client, mostly for the convenience. Bridge is interesting, however i cant help but feel it's a half way solution. I would prefer to carry just my personal phone and my playbook. Not my bb as well, it seems unnecessary.
    i also want native email as a part of the native applications promised. i want the calender and spell check as well.
    Most importantly i want RIM to deliver what they promised prior to launch. it was part of why i chose playbook, i understood evolution and the development of the software. Having a CEO discuss in interviews a 60 day timeframe imply's that this is a completed feature almost ready to go... not the 145 days its been (or so).
    Coord likes this.
    09-02-11 06:01 AM

If you have a Blackberry phone you fly around emails and your productive, this is not the case with browser based email or bridge (essentially like web based anyway - website displaying your phones screen).

It's not that laggy that I will miss out on anything due to the slowness. OK, so it takes 5 or 6 secs to load but where am I going that that's a problem?
    09-02-11 06:11 AM

I receive email notifications on my BlackBerry PlayBook sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9780 and notice no lag beyond opening the email bridged-mode email application. When the application is already open on the tablet the delay between arrival on my smartphone and notification and appearance of the email on my tablet is a few seconds at most.
    09-02-11 06:12 AM
    I don't get the need for native email for anyone who has their email accounts on a blackberry. Having them displayed on a PB is just so much more secure as your email never resides on another device like it would with "native" email.

Blackberry really screwed up with the PB - not with the actual device but for failing to properly explain the concept to the masses. It isn't just another tablet that is an iPad wannabe, but it really is a niche device for expanding the capabilities of a bb - and does most everything a traditional tablet does.
    09-02-11 06:17 AM
    This cracks me up.

Companies that tell customers what they need or don't need ultimately fail.

Companies that give customers what they want succeed.

It is as simple as that.

Would it surprise the OP that RIM has stated that native email is something that is needed to make the Playbook competitive?

So, RIM at least has the sense not to try to justify an obvious shortcoming.
    peter9477 and howarmat like this.
    09-02-11 06:37 AM
    Been discussed to death. All of you that own a bb including myself don't need it but if we want it to sell to more people which will mean better support from all sides it needs a native email client for those that would buy it and don't own a bb, period!

It will not hurt you to have it and not use it. It will hurt you/us if it never gets it because millions of potential owners will not be potential owners without it.
    Coord and simsim like this.
    09-02-11 06:40 AM
    You guys are in denial. No way is email as quick and seamless as a BB Phone.

Everything you try to do is laggy in comparison.

Give you a simple test. Open your inbox on your phone, the open your inbox on the Playbook.

4-5 times as long.

Don't get me started on the notifications, so frustrating seeing that bbm or new mail notification when you know there isn't. Even when marking all read.

In its current state this is NOT a BlackBerry. At very best its a bruised BlueBerry waiting for an update!

lovemyplaybook and dennie82 like this.
    09-02-11 06:43 AM
    I can think of one reason why native email ISN'T pointless. And it only needs one to matter.

1. You get notifications of new emails.
    laurah2215 and howarmat like this.
    09-02-11 06:59 AM
    i dont have a BB phone, i want native email
    thank you
    simples
    09-02-11 07:09 AM
    I don't understand why there is a need to create threads like this. It's been discussed to death! Some people want native email and like the idea of having instant notifications, and some don't. Sure, bridge helps but it's laggy, slow and the notifications are awful (I always have the little red notification and it always says I have one email, even if I don't). If native email isn't a big deal for you, that's great. But, some people want it. Android app player isn't a big deal for me, but I don't go through all the reasons why it's not a big deal for me.
    FF22, Cozmik and KQ9 like this.
    09-02-11 07:10 AM
    You guys are in denial. No way is email as quick and seamless as a BB Phone.

Everything you try to do is laggy in comparison.

Give you a simple test. Open your inbox on your phone, the open your inbox on the Playbook.

4-5 times as long.

Don't get me started on the notifications, so frustrating seeing that bbm or new mail notification when you know there isn't. Even when marking all read.

In its current state this is NOT a BlackBerry. At very best its a bruised BlueBerry waiting for an update!

From clicking the messages icon to email available takes 4 seconds for me.

I have no need for native email as I already have it through my Bold. The ghost notifications are odd but I only get them once in a while. It's very minor bug that will no doubt be sorted out over time.

Native email for the non BB owners can't hurt but is redundant overall.
    09-02-11 07:24 AM
    3 reason why i think native email is pointless
    The good news is that if you don't care about native e-mail, it will be no impact on you when we do get it. Won't matter to you either way. But it will make a lot of other people happy and give them a better tablet experience. Count me among the camp that sees a massive benefit to having a standalone e-mail app that doesn't rely on a web browser or web connection. I happen to like having offline access to my e-mails and attachments.

You, on the other hand, have nothing to lose. No reason to even talk about it. Of course, any discussion like this really has nothing to do with the feature itself. I think it has everything to do with some sort of insecurity/inferiority defense. I've seen parallel conversations about many other PlayBook deficiencies: 1) we don't need apps, 2) we don't need auto-correct/auto-complete, 3) we don't need to manage/edit bookmarks,..... The list goes on forever.
    howarmat likes this.
    09-02-11 07:27 AM
    I've seen parallel conversations about many other PlayBook deficiencies: 1) we don't need apps, 2) we don't need auto-correct/auto-complete, 3) we don't need to manage/edit bookmarks,..... The list goes on forever.
    No one needs apps. We may want apps to a greater or lesser degree but it cannot be denied that the PB requires fewer apps than some leading competitors. Auto correct would be nice but it can't be called a deal breaker as the spell check suffices for now. I've never felt compelled to edit my bookmarks. Organizing them would fine but, you know?, I have my bookmarks and ones that I use regularly I access via history which seems as fast as hunting down folders (I also have mini apps for sites under my favourites header).
    09-02-11 07:53 AM
    Most of us get our email from gmail, hotmail and yahoo. Cant you just got to your mail through your browser? next if you have secure emails haveing more places where your mail is, is a risk to your mail security.

for the 16 gb pb users email build up quick. that space can be used for something better

3 you have the bridge. i dont think there is alot of people who have a pb without a bb. I know most people with bb are never more than 3 feet away from the bb and their pb is kept in hand or bag. again what is the point of native email

Now when the 4g pb comes there will be somewhat of a reason to have native email. still im not leaving my phone anywhere where im not at.

Translation: "If it's something I don't need, it's completely pointless."

Interesting logic. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks the same way you do.
    09-02-11 08:08 AM
    You can password your PB if you like. Also yes I would much prefer my email native as the web version is not as good or quick as an app and has no offline access.

My entire email collection going back years is less than a GB. If I was just to sync the last few months it would be tiny. Besides who are you to say what I use my PB for, maybe I want instant access to 15GB of emails?

I don't have a BB but even though I have a smartphone with instant email if I want to reply to a long message or browse a link in a page I would much prefer to grab my PB but the time it takes to currently load webmail is a pain.
    09-02-11 08:08 AM

What, got rid of slow *** Blackberry phone long time ago.
    Reading email in web browser in pain in ***
    Yea I let Rim suck me in one last time with the PB
    09-02-11 09:09 AM
    Rim believes that pb doesn't need native email. I bet that will be the best for their customers..until its ready at Deaf-Con or whenever is ready.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    09-02-11 09:14 AM
    Native email/calendar provides notifications, web based does not....and that's more than enough reason for me for wanting it. I bought a Touchpad on firesale and the more I use it, the more it pisses me off that RIM has yet to launch native PIM.
    09-02-11 09:51 AM
    I don't understand why there is a need to create threads like this. It's been discussed to death! Some people want native email and like the idea of having instant notifications, and some don't. Sure, bridge helps but it's laggy, slow and the notifications are awful (I always have the little red notification and it always says I have one email, even if I don't). If native email isn't a big deal for you, that's great. But, some people want it. Android app player isn't a big deal for me, but I don't go through all the reasons why it's not a big deal for me.
    +1

So the original poster does not need it or see a reason for it. For him and others like him - fine. There are just as many on the other side who want it. They don't have a bb phone. The browser approach does not work for some.

Ridiculous that because someone does not need it or that Rim was unable to initially and still NOT produce it that it should be so easily discounted.

And maybe native email will allow me to pinch/zoom and ENLARGE the messages that come in tiny fonts on the Bridge version which cannot be enlarged.
    09-02-11 10:11 AM
    Boring ......
    09-02-11 10:20 AM
101 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD