07-02-12 10:09 PM
35 12
tools
    And remember, just a few weeks ago the faithful were reminding everyone that "RIM isn't like"

<Palm><Blockbuster><Commodore><Any other tech crash> because they are different.

No, they aren't.
    06-29-12 03:02 PM
    The point is, they actually charged that loss against LAST YEAR'S income already. Anything they sell THIS year now makes a profit for them.
    Still, just bookkeeping window dressing. Fact is it is sold at cost or loss. Doesn't matter if it is last year or this year. You have to compare it in totality and directly to what the manufacturing cost of the item was. Ask me, I have Masters degree in Accountancy (not trying to outsmart you , just telling you the true financial perspective). It does not create TRUE profit, just bookkeeping profit.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-29-12 at 03:07 PM.
    06-29-12 03:03 PM
    And remember, just a few weeks ago the faithful were reminding everyone that "RIM isn't like"

<Palm><Blockbuster><Commodore><Any other tech crash> because they are different.

No, they aren't.
    Commodore is back.

Commodore 64x

Once RIM hits rock bottom and can't get any lower all they can do is go up to a small niche market.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-29-12 03:20 PM
    Has RIM ever said how many were sold
    Concrete numbers: I bought TWO!
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-29-12 03:47 PM
    Yes I now, but you forgetting something. When Commodore's stock started to fall sharply all its investors abandon ship dropping their stocks into the market causing the company to file for bankruptcy 24-48 hours later. The same could very well happen to RIM, sure you can say whatever you want but I just don't want be the one saying "I told you so" when it does happen because I have in the past to others.

I am not dumping my BB just yet, but I am planning for the worst but expecting the best!

I fail to understand your logic. How would the share price going down force RIM to borrow more than 2.2 billion dollars? The share price only matters to RIM if they run out of money and have to sell shares to make money. If their share price goes to $0 (though trading would be stopped before it gets there) then they still have billions of dollars in the bank, and my argument still stands.
    silversun10 likes this.
    06-30-12 11:57 AM
    The $2.2bn will start to get drained as they have to pay off the 5,000 people who lost jobs (it costs a lot of money to lay people off) and if revenues continue to drop while they are trying to cut expenses then the money has to come from somewhere. The bank. The good news is no debt, not that it would be easy to borrow in this market.

Unfortunately for some, the combination of no debt and money in the bank makes them attractive to look at as a takeover. But there are too many issues with that...

I do not believe RIM will file for bankruptcy, but a significant change in ownership/partnerships could very well happen.
    06-30-12 12:07 PM
    Yes I now, but you forgetting something. When Commodore's stock started to fall sharply all its investors abandon ship dropping their stocks into the market causing the company to file for bankruptcy 24-48 hours later. The same could very well happen to RIM, sure you can say whatever you want but I just don't want be the one saying "I told you so" when it does happen because I have in the past to others.

I am not dumping my BB just yet, but I am planning for the worst but expecting the best!

No, this doesn't make any sense.

You cannot "drop stocks into the market" you have to sell them. There are two sides to any trade. This is why its called a market.

The only cause of bankruptcy is owing creditors and not being able to pay them when you are required to.

Shareholders are not creditors, they are partial owners.
    silversun10 likes this.
    06-30-12 04:08 PM
    How many ipads were sold in the quarter. I suspect it was more than 260,000, and at a higher pricetag.
    I read that ~250K iPads are being sold every 2 days.
    06-30-12 05:36 PM
    Push out an update to the PB like 4G with OS2.1!
    Push out a hardware change in a software upgrade? Genius!! RIM will make history by not just transmitting matter over the internet, but transforming it as well; from one configuration to another! Then their stock'll soar for sure!
    07-02-12 06:57 PM
    The $2.2bn will start to get drained as they have to pay off the 5,000 people who lost jobs (it costs a lot of money to lay people off) and if revenues continue to drop while they are trying to cut expenses then the money has to come from somewhere. The bank. The good news is no debt, not that it would be easy to borrow in this market.

Unfortunately for some, the combination of no debt and money in the bank makes them attractive to look at as a takeover. But there are too many issues with that...

I do not believe RIM will file for bankruptcy, but a significant change in ownership/partnerships could very well happen.
    It will not cost them $2bln to lay off 5,000 workers, not by a long shot.

Revenues on the operating (NOC) side are relatively stable. Manufacturing costs are being brought down by terminating agreements with manufacturing partners like Celestica. The goal is to bring costs down by $1bln a year, and that is possible. It will take cutting, but it can happen.

Once they've got those costs cut, yes, RIM can survive for quite a while. For a couple of years, anyway, as long as there are active subscribers. They could probably survive until Q4 next year without new product, but it's an open question how the market would actually receive whatever new product finally showed up then.
    07-02-12 10:09 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD