Report: RIM Cuts 5,000 Jobs, Delays BlackBerry 10 Until 2013

A small bit of good news in with the bad news and bb10 delayed till q1 2013.
    bjw408h likes this.
    06-28-12 04:54 PM
    Well at least there is some good news...maybe too little too late though.
    06-28-12 04:57 PM
    Yeah it's far too little far too late in my opinion. To be honest the writing has been on the wall for quite a while.
    06-28-12 06:04 PM
    Why this is a good news? Didn't get it
    06-28-12 10:33 PM
    RIM should be pushing the playbook right now cause it is the only good and up to date device they have right now. Actually it is an awesome device. Now lets see them get rid of the cheesy be bold commercials and come out with something good.
    scrapmetal58 and FR33MAN like this.
    06-29-12 01:47 AM
    RIM should be pushing the playbook right now cause it is the only good and up to date device they have right now. Actually it is an awesome device. Now lets see them get rid of the cheesy be bold commercials and come out with something good.
    Push out an update to the PB like 4G with OS2.1!
    06-29-12 01:50 AM
    Why this is a good news? Didn't get it
    Overall RIM reportedly moved some 7.8 million BlackBerry devices, falling well short of the 8.74 million devices analysts expected the company was expected to ship. Surprisingly, RIM managed to beat expectations with its PlayBook tablet sales, shipping 260,000 units.
    06-29-12 01:58 AM
    Report: RIM Cuts 5,000 Jobs, Delays BlackBerry 10 Until 2013

A small bit of good news in with the bad news and bb10 delayed till q1 2013.
    Good news? Stop drinking KoolAid.
    06-29-12 09:39 AM
    Unfortunately the PBs are being sold at cost. Unlike Google Play or Amazon Store, AppWorld doesn't really generate enough revenue to sustain this subsidy for long.

Claiming this is good news is saying it's good news the doctor stopped the bleeding from that paper cut from this morning when the patient just now got hit by a bus. Just grasping at straws. Too bad I know a lot of people who took jobs at RIM.
    notfanboy likes this.
    06-29-12 10:04 AM
    How many ipads were sold in the quarter. I suspect it was more than 260,000, and at a higher pricetag.
    06-29-12 10:54 AM
    How many ipads were sold in the quarter. I suspect it was more than 260,000, and at a higher pricetag.
    that's the issue...RIM suffers so much in comparison to its peer group. Very sad to watch this unfold. Was a loyal RIM user for over a decade.
    06-29-12 11:13 AM
    Let's see if we can get some of this data right:

On the earnings call they said that sell through for phones was approx 10.5 million versus 7.8 million shipped. That's a big difference. They also said the sell through on the playbook was higher as well versus the 260000 shipped.

This simply means that vendors cut back on inventory which is to be expected. There was also a shift in inventory to foreign markets. The best news was that US sales bottomed out this quarter. You can bet they will try to maintain the US services side of the business by offering upgrades to BB 7 phones. Fully 80% of BB owners are pre-OS 7 users on contracts/services. They need to get BB 7 out to those individuals and launch the PB 2 to gain services revenue as well.

Now which number does the media jump all over? Of course they prefer 7.8 million handsets!!!! Still, Heins sucked huge yesterday.
    robkd likes this.
    06-29-12 11:17 AM
    Its just a matter of time now when RIM's stock will be halted on the exchanges because they haven't shown they have made any attempt to get out of the black. This is what the stock holders want to see, they won't care as much if RIM is still in the black, but RIM has to show they are less in the black then before.

I wouldn't be surprised if RIM files for bankruptcy between now and the end of the year.

I really loved your services and devices RIM but the time to show you are making a serious attempt at getting out the black was when you replaced your CEO; last quarter.
    06-29-12 11:26 AM
    I don't think RIM will file for bankruptcy. They actually have some money in the bank and they have valuable IP. I see a sale of much of their assets soon. I am not sure who would benefit most from buying all or part of RIM but I am sure the speculation will be all over the internet. With a stock price sinking by the hour it should be really easy for a Gogle or Microsoft to step in and snap them up.
    06-29-12 11:34 AM
    Unfortunately the PBs are being sold at cost. Unlike Google Play or Amazon Store, AppWorld doesn't really generate enough revenue to sustain this subsidy for long.

Claiming this is good news is saying it's good news the doctor stopped the bleeding from that paper cut from this morning when the patient just now got hit by a bus. Just grasping at straws. Too bad I know a lot of people who took jobs at RIM.
    The PBs are not sold at cost any more. RIM already incurred the loss by writing-off the remaining inventory of PBs. So now, each PB sold is revenue.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-29-12 11:36 AM
    Push out an update to the PB like 4G with OS2.1!
    Uhhhhhhh ummmm... You can't just push a 4g update ummmm uhh cause umm none of the PlayBooks have cellular radios inside them.
    06-29-12 11:38 AM
    The PBs are not sold at cost any more. RIM already incurred the loss by writing-off the remaining inventory of PBs. So now, each PB sold is revenue.
    That is only for some nice accountancy bookkeeping for water cooler conversation. In reality it is still 'under cost' as they cannot dare to manufacture more as those will be at a loss.
    06-29-12 11:41 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if RIM files for bankruptcy between now and the end of the year.
    Do you understand how bankruptcy works? In order to declare bankruptcy, you would have enough debt that you can't pay it back. At this point, RIM not only has no debt, but it has 2.2 (or was it 2.4) billion dollars and is still making money (getting paper losses but increased cash position). Assuming that they keep the exact same course that their numbers have been doing, they'll probably be at around 2 billion dollars in the bank by the end of the year (probably less though, because by the end of the year the latest iPhone will be a year newer than the current BB7 phones, but still well over a billion dollars). If they manage to get to the point where they run out of money and have to borrow (by my estimates that would be later than next summer) and they still haven't managed to release BB10, then they should probably sell off the company, in which case they'll never have debt, in which case they'll never go bankrupt, so I find your notion rather unlikely.
    06-29-12 11:52 AM
    That is only for some nice accountancy bookkeeping for water cooler conversation. In reality it is still 'under cost' as they cannot dare to manufacture more as those will be at a loss.
    That's correct. Most probably, they haven't made PBs for at least 9 months now. Also, you are right that the PBs overall have sold / will have sold at loss. However, again, all sales revenues they now receive are still revenues in their books and are technically unrelated to the past losses (the write-off).
    dusdal likes this.
    06-29-12 12:35 PM
    I don't believe it will take that long.
    The best way to advertise is to let people use it, most likely the beta will be released in a couple of months.
    If it's as good as I expect many people will think twice before buying an iphone.
    Let me say that apple has been releasing the same old same, and this is a opportunity to new players being creative.
    I have the first iPad, I went to buy the iPad2 when it came out, and I didn't because aside the miserable camera, it was just the same. Speed difference for the most part wasn't making any difference on usability. When the iPad3 I thought the exact same thing, that's why I bought the PB.
    06-29-12 02:32 PM
    The point is, they actually charged that loss against LAST YEAR'S income already. Anything they sell THIS year now makes a profit for them.
    06-29-12 02:39 PM
    I thought it was 260k shipped, unknown sold.
    06-29-12 02:39 PM
    I thought it was 260k shipped, unknown sold.
    Has RIM ever said how many were sold
    06-29-12 02:50 PM
    Do you understand how bankruptcy works? In order to declare bankruptcy, you would have enough debt that you can't pay it back. At this point, RIM not only has no debt, but it has 2.2 (or was it 2.4) billion dollars and is still making money (getting paper losses but increased cash position). Assuming that they keep the exact same course that their numbers have been doing, they'll probably be at around 2 billion dollars in the bank by the end of the year (probably less though, because by the end of the year the latest iPhone will be a year newer than the current BB7 phones, but still well over a billion dollars). If they manage to get to the point where they run out of money and have to borrow (by my estimates that would be later than next summer) and they still haven't managed to release BB10, then they should probably sell off the company, in which case they'll never have debt, in which case they'll never go bankrupt, so I find your notion rather unlikely.
    Yes I now, but you forgetting something. When Commodore's stock started to fall sharply all its investors abandon ship dropping their stocks into the market causing the company to file for bankruptcy 24-48 hours later. The same could very well happen to RIM, sure you can say whatever you want but I just don't want be the one saying "I told you so" when it does happen because I have in the past to others.

I am not dumping my BB just yet, but I am planning for the worst but expecting the best!

06-29-12 02:51 PM
    Has RIM ever said how many were sold
    I don't think so. But this thread is mistitled for sure.
    06-29-12 03:01 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD