Horrible. I have given up and for reading, I use my other tablet.
    Horrible how? One persons horrible is anothers not bad. Please let us know what is horrible about it.
    12-28-11 12:19 PM
    First, it can only be used in portrait mode. Second, you have to download the book almost each time you want to read it. Then it takes very long to open the book, find the right page, go back to the contents, etc. Just very hard work all along.
    12-28-11 12:23 PM
    Also all the goodies of the kindle app are missing, like direct link to dictionary or google when you don't know the word, the place, the acronym, etc.
    12-28-11 12:24 PM
    Also all the goodies of the kindle app are missing, like direct link to dictionary or google when you don't know the word, the place, the acronym, etc.
    So why do they even offer a cloud reader if it is that bad? I imagine it isn't that bad if someone just wants to read their latest book?
    12-28-11 12:33 PM
    Ad hominem attacks on anyone who dares criticize the Playbook's stable of apps (or lack thereof) are unseemly. Why lie for RIM? The Playbook really does suffer in the app department, even when it comes to basic apps that everyone expects to find available for a tablet. A tablet is mainly an entertainment device, with some communications thrown in, so except for a for stoic souls willing to make do with the one or two apps they can actually use, the lack of apps is a serious problem for the Playbook. Here's my take on a few of the basic omissions:

Kindle: There is no good substitute for Kindle. I tried the Kindle "cloud reader" but it didn't work right with my Playbook. I tried Kobo, but it is just not as good as Kindle. The good news is that the Android Kindle app works reasonably now that I have Beta OS2 on my Playbook. So, with OS2 just around the corner, everyone will soon have Kindle even if one is never developed for QNX.

Skype: It's the standard for a lot of people, so similar VOIP programs are not a solution, unless they can communicate with a Skype user on the other end. If you find any for the Playbook that do this, let me know. I tried the Comwave app (which is not Skype compatible), but could not get it to work under Beta OS2--apparently it's a known issue with the beta version which will (probably) be fixed in the final version.

Netflix. If you have a Netflix subscription, you are out of luck for now--and maybe forever. RIM does not seem interested in providing the plugin needed for its browser to stream Netflix; and, RIM, Netflix and others do not seem interested in developing a Netflix app. Amazon does stream nicely on the Playbook. Amazon Prime membership gives you free access to a lot (but not all) of the Amazon offerings. There is a lot available--definitely worth the membership--but not as much as you would get with Netflix.

Playing Videos: I've generally had great success sideloading movies from my PC via USB to the Playbook. I've done it in a variety of ways. For ripping DVDs, I use AnyDVD plus Handbrake.

Music: As with videos, however I can get them onto the Playbook, music files have generally worked well for me.

Email. No native email or calendar, although RIM has demonstrated that it has an app in the works, and it may be out in February along with the OS2. I tried sideloading an Android app, but had limited success. However, the Playbook browser works quite well with Gmail.
    12-28-11 12:48 PM
    For apps such as Netflix, cancel Netflix and get Amazon Prime, and let Netflix know why you cancelled. Bottom line is what these outfits check out most. Have Skype? Drop it in favour of ReelPortal, a video chat app that works on all platforms. Why is everyone so hooked on Skype? Because its what we know and we hate change. Get your families to download ReelPortal as well and create a new must have app for everyone with a playbook.

Heck, I can't let let Skype run on my computer all the time as it uses me as a server and over a day, my whole internet starts to come to a crawl. So I only turn on Skype when I am sitting at the computer, which is a shame as if someone called me on Skype, even if I'm not at the computer, I can here it just as if the phone was ringing. But hey, I can't donate all my bandwidth to Skype. I have yet to have a real good video connection with Skype. And I paid the extra so I could have the videoconferencing service, that with ReelPortal is free.

I also can't see how anyone can use a few hundred apps on their tablets. When I was at Staples looking at the playbooks, a lady was telling me the wonders of her iPad. Now I agree its a great device, (and as a magazine junkie, would probably like to have one because of its size), but she was going on about downloading 3 or 4 new apps a day. Who needs 3 or 4 new apps a day? Just because you can, doesn't mean you will use them.

I have Netflix, but don't care if I have it on my playbook. I use veetle.com a lot on the playbook, and yes, I am a usenet downloader (whicih I am sure a lot of the people on this board are), so move all my shows over to the playbook and curl up in my chair and watch.

I have lots of drm free books, so also sit by the file with book reader, adjusting the pages to suit my preferences.

And I've only had my playbook for 10 days. There are a few games I play (I am also addicted to Spider Solitaire) and love the Pixelated game. I have also become addicted to Need for Speed. Didn't like it on my son's X-box, but using the playbook as my steering wheel is really cool.

Personally I don't care if I have email on my Playbook. I can use it by going to webmail if I really have to. I know this is important to many people, so probably the most important one that RIM should get out there.

What is really funny is comparing it to getting your first computer. Surfing the internet everywhere you could, just because you could. Now I bet I have about 10 or so sites I visit and hardly wander from there, unless I am searching to resolve some problem somewhere.

But then hey, I don't have a flat screen TV yet, still my excellent 32" JVC from 15 years ago. I have WD HD Live that I use to stream all my viewing from my computer or attached hard drives plus Netflix, Youtube and a whole bunch more.

I think it's unfair make a complete cyber-psychiatric diagnosis about someone based on what they post on an internet MB and is what's really misguided.

You seem to have a disdain for folks say that like to keep up with whatever may be on the cutting edge of technology. I'm sure your 15 JVC works great, but it wasn't meant to last forever. You must understand that your preferences aren't the litmus test for how these things should work.

Apps are not just about entertainment and distractions for people with nothing to do. Hospitals around the world are using iPads to read x-rays and patient files. Universities are using tablets to provide lower-cost ways for students to obtain there source materials. There are apps designed specifically military applications. Innovation is changing the world.

The Internet itself is a military application designed in the late 60's, I believe.

An APP to a tablet is like software to a MAC or PC. Without it, you'd just have a box/device that doesn't actually do anything.

For instance, your 15yr old JVC would be just a paperweight without someone broadcasting a signal to it. That signal is technically, whether it be from a broadcast carrier or a Blu-Ray player(are you still using a VHS as well? Betamax?) is an APP(as in application).

If it works for you. Cool. If it doesn't work for you. That's cool too. If it doesn't work for you, but works for someone else. That's just as cool as well.

Cheers!
    12-28-11 12:48 PM
    This is one of the most insanely silly threads I've ever seen. It's one without a clear resolution. People having opinions and other people bashing their opinions and....it doesn't end. Can't we all just agree that the inferior iPads can't kiss the ground that Playbooks walk on and move on?!?
    12-28-11 12:57 PM
    I think it's unfair make a complete cyber-psychiatric diagnosis about someone based on what they post on an internet MB and is what's really misguided.

You seem to have a disdain for folks say that like to keep up with whatever may be on the cutting edge of technology. I'm sure your 15 JVC works great, but it wasn't meant to last forever. You must understand that your preferences aren't the litmus test for how these things should work.

Apps are not just about entertainment and distractions for people with nothing to do. Hospitals around the world are using iPads to read x-rays and patient files. Universities are using tablets to provide lower-cost ways for students to obtain there source materials. There are apps designed specifically military applications. Innovation is changing the world.

The Internet itself is a military application designed in the late 60's, I believe.

An APP to a tablet is like software to a MAC or PC. Without it, you'd just have a box/device that doesn't actually do anything.

For instance, your 15yr old JVC would be just a paperweight without someone broadcasting a signal to it. That signal is technically, whether it be from a broadcast carrier or a Blu-Ray player(are you still using a VHS as well? Betamax?) is an APP(as in application).

If it works for you. Cool. If it doesn't work for you. That's cool too. If it doesn't work for you, but works for someone else. That's just as cool as well.

Cheers!
    You misread my post. I have no disdain for anyone at all. Just basically comparing a new tablet to the day when we all got our first computers. Want to try everything and have everything.

My Skype and Netflix comments are merely that RIM has no power to get these companies to write an app for Playbook, but we as the consumers can. By letting them know through our pockets that we want it and we will go to something else if we don't get it. And that there are other alternatives. We have to take the power in our own hands in areas where we can.

I was making fun of myself regarding the 15 year old TV. Sorry if the joke didn't come through.

Have a great evening.
    12-28-11 02:01 PM
    This is one of the most insanely silly threads I've ever seen. It's one without a clear resolution. People having opinions and other people bashing their opinions and....it doesn't end. Can't we all just agree that the inferior iPads can't kiss the ground that Playbooks walk on and move on?!?
    Let them have their rotten apples. If someone needs an app to know how many calories were in that gallon of ice cream his girlfriend just scarfed down or has to have the latest app every second day so he,s not bored to whining then let him spend the extra $. Me, I'll be enjoying what I bought. A sleek portable and powerful device that meets MY needs. The extra 300+ in my pocket won,t make me sad either.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-28-11 02:14 PM
    Let them have their rotten apples. If someone needs an app to know how many calories were in that gallon of ice cream his girlfriend just scarfed down or has to have the latest app every second day so he,s not bored to whining then let him spend the extra $. Me, I'll be enjoying what I bought. A sleek portable and powerful device that meets MY needs. The extra 300+ in my pocket won,t make me sad either.
    I love to debate, discuss and tear subjects into the ground, but I also like to keep it fun with respect for another's opinion, ideas and perceptions. Life is too short for the dumb stuff!
    12-28-11 02:44 PM
    I love to debate, discuss and tear subjects into the ground, but I also like to keep it fun with respect for another's opinion, ideas and perceptions. Life is too short for the dumb stuff!
    Kudos! Debate and discussion bring the world together. Enables us to share our comments, questions and concerns.

It's what civilized people are supposed to do!

Cheers!
    12-28-11 02:58 PM
    i'm not misguided, I am talking about the apps that people download for the of it. "Oh look, a new game or app must download" How many apps are actually productivity apps in the Apple App store, Android Market and Blackberry app world? I bet it is only about 35-40%. And beyond the stock apps such as docs2go, or bbm or whatever, how many apps are actually used? Honestly I barely use the docs2go on my 9900, Everything is done either on my work computer or playbook. But yes its on my phone in case i need it.

But my initial point of my post is, a tablet is your assistant to get things done, everyone claiming they NEED netflix/skype/kindle or whatever else, it is not a NEED, it is a want, and the original post i was responding to was the guy was bored of the playbook because it doesn't have apps that will satisfy him and he will pick up his ipad and download apps. This to me sounds like someone that cannot be satisfied and has tablets for the sake of "being cool"
    I think this kind of thinking is why RIM is in the shape they are in today.

It's fine to give people what they need, but you also have to give them what they want, or, someone else will.

You may want a tablet to get things done. But other may want a tablet for fun.

And let's be honest, how many people really "need" a tablet???

War Is All We Know
    12-30-11 10:38 AM

And let's be honest, how many people really "need" a tablet???

War Is All We Know
    Yes, I "need" a Playbook and a Blackberry phone. The combination of the two give me the opportunity to stay and keep in touch with my loved ones and friends, allows me to access information at a moments notice, send important documents and files in a split second and gives me (my favorite!): MAN TIME; Just sitting with nothing else going on and entertaining myself with nothing in particular.

In todays day and age, for me (full time employment, married, 5 kids), a Playbook and Torch is an awesome combo that has increased the quality of my life and with that, allows me to increase the quality of life for those around me.

Yes, I need a Playbook.
    12-30-11 11:45 AM
    Okay, so I've had my new Playbook for almost 2 weeks now. Everything seems to work fine with it. I really enjoy being able to read Kindle books with Cloud Reader. I have had a hard time adjusting to the web browser, though, particularly not having much control at all over bookmarks and also not having a home page. I'm getting used to it, though, which is very important. Having a more portable way to access the web was my biggest reason for getting a tablet.

I like the build quality of the PB. The OS runs smoothly, doesn't seem to crash or freeze up or anything. Battery life seems a bit suspect, though. Wonder if maybe I need to turn down the display a bit.

Biggest observation after two weeks? What else am I supposed to use this thing for? Other than it being a more convenient and portable device than a laptop for web access, it seems as though smartphones and laptops do a lot of things better than a tablet does.

Maybe if more apps become available, it will be a much more useful device.
    01-05-12 06:22 PM
    I have had a hard time adjusting to the web browser, though, particularly not having much control at all over bookmarks and also not having a home page.
    Hi Ditto1958, I'm glad things are working ok for you, hopefully the app situation will get better with time as more are being ported over.. I believe there might be an option in the browser menu to go to homepage on start up.. I don't have my pb in front of my to check this, but if another user could chime in to verify and post directions, I'd appreciate it.
    01-05-12 06:30 PM
    Open your browser, swipe down, click on gear (settings icon), under General - For a New Page, select My Home Page, and set your home page accordingly.
    spike12 and ditto1958 like this.
    01-05-12 06:35 PM
    Er, I have a computer and a phone and I use my PB in my service truck and on calls because it is better than either for note-taking, on-site pictures, connectivity and remote access to my office PC. It has completely replaced the laptop I used to carry in the truck, it is small, unobtrusive, powerful and doesn't need endless charging.

But why would you do that if you already have a phone and a computer?
    What do you use to access your office computer? I can use logmein from the pb browser not not too well.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    01-05-12 08:02 PM
    Thanks blue. Got a home page now!
    blue-b likes this.
    01-05-12 08:43 PM
    What do you use to access your office computer? I can use logmein from the pb browser not not too well.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Enterprise RDP Android app on my PB running the OS2 beta.

Works extemely well. Only hitch with it in non-WIFI areas is that I have to tether the Torch to connect... it won't do it through bridging only. Works fine in any WIFI area. It is actually fairly quick and easy to control your mouse-based Windows PC with the touchscren, I was initially concerned about that. Pinch-zoom the desktop, swipe to pan around the desktop corners that are out of view. It will even do mouse right-click context menus if you tap and hold for a couple of seconds... much better overall desktop control through a tablet than the VNC program I was using before.
    01-05-12 10:42 PM
    I got a new Playbook for Christmas and my wife got a Kindle Fire. After 24 hours with it, my conclusion is that I am conflicted about it. I will list my major loves and hates about it, but I think that the bottom line at this point is that it simply needs more apps. Now, I'm not talking about having an app store that has bazillions of apps available. I mean just basic ones that people want and need.

There are several major things I would like to be able to do with a tablet and unfortunately my playbook can only do some of them.

1. Browse the web- works pretty well in general. No major complaint at all about the browser.

2. Watch YouTube videos- works fine for that so far, too.

3. Watch streaming video- FAIL. No Netflix or Hulu.

4. Read e-books- FAIL. No Kindle App.

5. Listen to music- don't know yet. Haven't tried to get my iTunes music onto the PB yet.

6. Words With Friends- FAIL. All my friends with Apple and Android can play, but not me.

7. Tethering- excellent feature. Nice to know I can get online anywhere I have phone service and my BB phone. Wish it worked with all phones, though.

8. Setup: FAIL, FAIL, FAIL. My wife booted up her Kindle Fire, registered it with her Amazon account and was up and running in minutes. Playbook? Um... no. I fired it up, went through the setup process and then it started to download an OS update. 2 HOURS LATER the download was finished and the PB tried to reboot. It hung on the bootup screen and none of the fixes here at CB worked.

9. BB Tech Support: A++++. I called BB tech support at around 11 P.M. on Xmas Eve. They not only were open, but I was transferred to a tech with almost no waiting. He spoke unaccented English and solved my problem almost immediately. The update began downloading again, this time using BB Desktop and my laptop, but again it proceeded at a snail's pace. I stressed several times to the tech guy that it was likely going to take a long, long time, but he kept offering to stay on the line with me as long as it took! I did get a ticket no. from him, though, and talked him into hanging up. At last, at about 5
    A.M. the update finished and I was able to start using the PB.

While tech support was astoundingly good, this incident was completely unacceptable and BB needs to work on it ASAP.
    as soon i took mine out of the box, i plugged into my desktop and BDS did the rest in less than 20 min, transferred some photos, videos, music and documents and was up and running within the hour, so far very happy
    01-07-12 11:33 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD