We need to be positive I believe Playbook will be a successful seller once they release OS2, the ability to access Android World will make it a success hopefully if mouth of word gets around.
    Yes I think OS 2 and the Christmas shopping season should pick up on sales, however the media has been saying "RIM is falling, steer clear!" quite a bit lately which can easily hurt potential sales.
    09-16-11 07:20 AM
    The biggest problem, and the biggest reason for the failing sales, is probably that retailers has pretty much given up on it.

I went to handful of big box electronics stores last week to look at tablets, and in all cases the sales people warned me about the Playbook and told me that most the ones they sell come back as returns.

Retailers losing faith in the product is a pretty big deal and not easy to fix. With iPad3 around the corner, and quadcore Android tablets coming later this year, the Playbook is getting outdated, and the only solution for RIM is probably a new model. A real "Playbook2". But I doubt that's in the cards, unfortunately...
    09-16-11 07:49 AM
    The biggest problem, and the biggest reason for the failing sales, is probably that retailers has pretty much given up on it.

I went to handful of big box electronics stores last week to look at tablets, and in all cases the sales people warned me about the Playbook and told me that most the ones they sell come back as returns.

Retailers losing faith in the product is a pretty big deal and not easy to fix. With iPad3 around the corner, and quadcore Android tablets coming later this year, the Playbook is getting outdated, and the only solution for RIM is probably a new model. A real "Playbook2". But I doubt that's in the cards, unfortunately...
    That's not the biggest problem, it's a result of the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that the PB is lacking essential features and apps currently available on competing tablets for the same price and their continual pushing back of the dates for promised features and apps.
    howarmat likes this.
    09-16-11 08:00 AM

I have a feeling that is how the HP Touchpad experience was for retailers like Best Buy. Low sales, high returns. They are probably getting a bit dillusioned at these non-iPad tablet sales.
    09-16-11 08:04 AM
    That's not the biggest problem, it's a result of the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that the PB is lacking essential features and apps currently available on competing tablets for the same price and their continual pushing back of the dates for promised features and apps.
    True... I finally settled on the Acer Iconia 101 tablet BTW...

It costs 299$ in the 8 GB version, but size isn't a problem, cause it's expandable through MicroSD cards.

It's also the same 7 inch screen size as the Playbook, but unlike the PB it's feature-complete (email and spellcheck) with Android 3.2 and offers a plethora of apps.

It has a built in GSM chip, and real autofocus camera unlike the full focus camera in the Playbook.

Android 3.2 is just as awesomely quick and responsive as QNX, and an upgrade to 4.0 is coming later this year.

Now how can the Playbook compete with that at 299$...

They might be able to move some units at $199-249 for the 16GB version and 249$-299 for the 32GB version though. That kind of pricing is the only way the Playbook has a future IMHO. And even then it'll be hard to break through all the attention that the new iPad and coming Android tablet will get...
    09-16-11 08:40 AM
    True... I finally settled on the Acer Iconia 101 tablet BTW...

It costs 299$ in the 8 GB version, but size isn't a problem, cause it's expandable through MicroSD cards.

It's also the same 7 inch screen size as the Playbook, but unlike the PB it's feature-complete (email and spellcheck) with Android 3.2 and offers a plethora of apps.

It has a built in GSM chip, and real autofocus camera unlike the full focus camera in the Playbook.

Android 3.2 is just as awesomely quick and responsive as QNX, and an upgrade to 4.0 is coming later this year.

Now how can the Playbook compete with that at 299$...

They might be able to move some units at $199-249 for the 16GB version and 249$-299 for the 32GB version though. That kind of pricing is the only way the Playbook has a future IMHO. And even then it'll be hard to break through all the attention that the new iPad and coming Android tablet will get...
    I also have my eye on the A100, the 7" form factor is what I'm looking for and the price is nice and I have a spare 32GB stick I could put in. The only drawback I've seen so far is how it handles Honeycomb specific apps and the fat bottom bar in landscape mode as well as the big empty space at the top and bottom of the desktop in portrait mode.

I also have some interest in the Asus Transformer since it has a keyboard dock, but I'm waiting for the Samsung 7.7" and the HTC Flyer doesn't seem to be appearing anywhere in Canada.
    09-16-11 10:59 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD