Cathy, the problem is not your service provider. It is with the PB software, probably the latest update. I have three email accounts: Shaw, gmail and hotmail. They all used to work fine. Now none of them do. Just like you, my messages app crashes within 2-3 hours of rebooting, every time. I go to Accounts and just get the green circle, no accounts, unless I reboot (again). Others are having this problem too. No one seems to have any answers.

Other problems? My browser regularly crashes, not so much while using it but if I leave it running in the background (and I have learned not to have more than three apps running simultaneously). Adobe Reader and PDF Reader regularly crash when running in background. TV stations on my large screen TV won't display in full-screen mode. Don't know if it's a PB issue or a limitation of the TV signal. They also stop playing after about 15 minutes, so kind of a useless feature anyway.

What bothers me is not the glitches and limitations of what would otherwise be a very nice tablet. It's that Rim does next to nothing to address them. Twice annual updates that only address some of the major problems is not adequate. Having to reboot several times a day to use email is not adequate. Being unable to make a wifi phone call, or at least use Skype, is no longer adequate, especially for a tablet that bills itself as being so portable. Having to spend hours searching out solutions online is not adequate (I have never had to do so for my ipod).

I guess I'll just be written off as a troll, which seems to be the fanboys' standard procedure for anyone who suggests the PB is not up to snuff.
    Are you beta 2.1 OS ?
    If yes, re-enroll and start over.
    06-08-12 06:01 AM
    Oh yes I'm keeping it. I love it. Most of the problems are now resolved.
    kbz1960, bitek and rotorwrench like this.
    06-08-12 04:37 PM
    Are you beta 2.1 OS ?
    If yes, re-enroll and start over.
    I was not beta. I have reinstalled OS 2. Messages still doesn't work except for a couple of hours after a reboot. This glitch I and others are having removes one of the strongest reasons for OS 2, a native email.
    06-10-12 12:00 AM
    Cathy, the problem is not your service provider. It is with the PB software, probably the latest update. I have three email accounts: Shaw, gmail and hotmail. They all used to work fine. Now none of them do. Just like you, my messages app crashes within 2-3 hours of rebooting, every time. I go to Accounts and just get the green circle, no accounts, unless I reboot (again). Others are having this problem too. No one seems to have any answers.

Other problems? My browser regularly crashes, not so much while using it but if I leave it running in the background (and I have learned not to have more than three apps running simultaneously). Adobe Reader and PDF Reader regularly crash when running in background. TV stations on my large screen TV won't display in full-screen mode. Don't know if it's a PB issue or a limitation of the TV signal. They also stop playing after about 15 minutes, so kind of a useless feature anyway.

What bothers me is not the glitches and limitations of what would otherwise be a very nice tablet. It's that Rim does next to nothing to address them. Twice annual updates that only address some of the major problems is not adequate. Having to reboot several times a day to use email is not adequate. Being unable to make a wifi phone call, or at least use Skype, is no longer adequate, especially for a tablet that bills itself as being so portable. Having to spend hours searching out solutions online is not adequate (I have never had to do so for my ipod).

I guess I'll just be written off as a troll, which seems to be the fanboys' standard procedure for anyone who suggests the PB is not up to snuff.
    I don't use the native email, just bridged through my phone and it's disabled on our work PBs, but my wife has two Gmail and one school account and has yet to have any issues since the last update. So although I have no doubt you're having problems, if it were a software issue, we'd all be having it and apparently most of us aren't. I don't know what the cause is but apparently Cathy's was resolved also. I wish you luck.
    06-10-12 02:23 AM
    Oh, so Private Browsing does not CLEAN up after each session and will respect log-ons that are already stored? Interesting and helpful.
    Like jrohland said above, once a cookie is on the PB, it stays until you clean your cache, and only then when you have selected cookies to be cleared. Private browsing prevents new ones from being kept on the PB. Here is my process: I clean my cache, all my cookies, temp files, etc and history are deleted, I have private browsing on, as I go to my websites now that require login, I disable private browsing, login, enable private browsing and now I won't have to log in to that site again until I clear my cache again. I do this for each site I prefer to remember my login, as I go to them. It's second nature now, so no big deal.
    06-10-12 02:36 AM
    Just discovered today that my Calendar doesn't work either, probably since it needs to access accounts, and they lock up within 2-3 hours of rebooting, along with the Messages app.
    06-10-12 01:03 PM
    I use the calendar and email on my PB with google calendar, gmail and hotmail and have never had any headaches with any of them. The ones who are having problems, is it possible there are apps that conflict with the calendars and email service on the PB? I would think that if it were an OS problem, we would all be having it, so, maybe an issue with some of the apps not playing nice with the resident email and calendar? Just a shot.
    06-10-12 06:32 PM
    I'm not sure either. Since early on I've been using Google calendar to sync my PC, phone and PB calendars and it's been problem free. I'm careful with apps, don't sideload, don't wipe and don't do betas, so far giving me a relatively trouble free PB. I'm just speculating because over several months reading posts I see a trend indicating a disproportionate amount of problems with PBs that also have been wiped, sideloaded and/or have had betas installed. I'm also careful to ensure problem free updates too.
    06-10-12 07:34 PM
    I use the calendar and email on my PB with google calendar, gmail and hotmail and have never had any headaches with any of them. The ones who are having problems, is it possible there are apps that conflict with the calendars and email service on the PB? I would think that if it were an OS problem, we would all be having it, so, maybe an issue with some of the apps not playing nice with the resident email and calendar? Just a shot.
    I don't think so. The only app I seem to frequently run alongside Messages is the native browser. More frequently, though, I launch Messages when nothing it running, and it won't launch without a reboot. Possibly another app that was run in the meantime somehow prevents Messages from subsequently launching (or crashed it, along with accounts and calendar, while it was running). Whatever the cause, I'm having trouble reconciling this glitch with a 'professional grade' tablet.
    06-18-12 11:09 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD