07-18-12 01:29 AM
619 ... 56789 ...
tools
    well yes..more than stable..i mean ...it doesn't crash so often ..and then i have to restart the playbook again and again..
    05-30-12 04:12 PM
    If one signs up for the DEV Beta, gets the new 2.1 on the Playbook, then crap hits the fan the things get really messed up; can one re-install 2.0 and restore the back up?
    05-30-12 04:14 PM
    just saw this on twitter

1m Research In Motion ‏@BlackBerryDev
    @Brian_Enders Look for stability improvements to the Android runtime to be included in an upcoming 2.0.1 upgrade for PlayBook OS^BZ
    05-30-12 04:15 PM
    what !! if they do that ..i will break it in half..immediately !
    Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who hates Android apps? I understand why people want or need them, but am I in the minority that I will not support or use Android apps on my PlayBook? Side-loading aside, I see it as having a large pool filled 1/2 way with perfect, clean water and then to fill it up they decided to pump in the water from a septic tank.

Again, I know there are apps needed for everyone, but I am curious if I am the only one that rather not have Android apps. Then again, maybe with this new multi-tasking Android support, I will not hate it as much. And maybe if they had some newer tablet based Android apps I would be fine.

I just see side-loading and allowing Android apps to be an easy out for developers to port their product rather than making it native. That RIM had put this in place to get developers over to the PlayBook and should take it out when or before BB10 comes out and get the app pool nice and clean again.
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    05-30-12 04:21 PM
    But what about NDK? Without it most Android games just won't work...
    05-30-12 04:21 PM
    just a random question but how long did they take from going to the 2.0 beta version to the actually released version? Just to have an indication of when it will come out to the masses
    05-30-12 04:25 PM
    If one signs up for the DEV Beta, gets the new 2.1 on the Playbook, then crap hits the fan the things get really messed up; can one re-install 2.0 and restore the back up?
    Yes. One could easily downgrade to OS1 when OS2 was in beta. In OS2 Beta there were official instructions for how to do it when you filled out the forms to get the Beta. It was actually quite simple to downgrade. If I remember correctly all you did was hook it up to the DM and do a quick few steps.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    05-30-12 04:26 PM
    Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who hates Android apps? I understand why people want or need them, but am I in the minority that I will not support or use Android apps on my PlayBook? Side-loading aside, I see it as having a large pool filled 1/2 way with perfect, clean water and then to fill it up they decided to pump in the water from a septic tank.

Again, I know there are apps needed for everyone, but I am curious if I am the only one that rather not have Android apps. Then again, maybe with this new multi-tasking Android support, I will not hate it as much. And maybe if they had some newer tablet based Android apps I would be fine.

I just see side-loading and allowing Android apps to be an easy out for developers to port their product rather than making it native. That RIM had put this in place to get developers over to the PlayBook and should take it out when or before BB10 comes out and get the app pool nice and clean again.
    well..ur right..but..at least it's a substitute to the needed native apps...

like msn ..yahoo..twitter..kindle..numbuzz..ebuddy..torrent ...many and many apps...

if we have native apps..i won't need the android player
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-30-12 04:26 PM

I don't use them either. More that I don't want to hassle with them than anything else. Don't want to worry that something hasn't shut down properly and drain my battery and the reports of crashes more than anything else. If there was something I really wanted maybe I would but nothing has tempted me yet.
    05-30-12 04:36 PM
    Blackberrydev just tweeted look for stability improvement in the android runtime in an upcoming playbook 2.0.1 update.

So I guess we will be getting an official and a beta.
    05-30-12 04:39 PM
    yup..i just wrote it up there...the important thing..we're getting a more stable android
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    05-30-12 04:50 PM

Well there are very useful android apps which are very stable and run perfectly fine on the PlayBook.

If a developer has an app they've already coded and they have it in Google Play, and it works for the PlayBook well, that can mean a few things.

It can mean that developer may port their app

It can mean that after seeing the benefits of the NDK they might be enticed to create the app natively

Or, they can decide to continue with updating their app using the Android runtime

Remove the runtime and that doesn't "force" them to code natively, all that does is force them away from the platform if anything.

Not every Android app will work, and from the ones that DO work there are some very well written apps.
    05-30-12 04:51 PM
    I'm really gonna enjoy trying android apps out that didn't work before again. The camera api opens up a flood of new possibilities
    05-30-12 05:16 PM
    This thread and that dude's tweets are driving me nuts. Need that official blog post to be posted and clear everything out ASAP.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-30-12 05:42 PM
    Hahaha, we ALL want that Clearly this isn't bringing the update any faster
    05-30-12 05:47 PM
    It's kind of a slap in the face to say it will be released "end of May", only to see it happen on the very last day of May. might as well say it will be early June, so it seems early.
    05-30-12 06:03 PM
    It's kind of a slap in the face to say it will be released "end of May", only to see it happen on the very last day of May. might as well say it will be early June, so it seems early.
    just.relax
    BB_Bmore and ad19 like this.
    05-30-12 06:06 PM
    End of May one would normally assume that means the last day.
    05-30-12 06:08 PM

It's a tool. Simply a tool. The android apps provide a solution that some users need. I have need of one or two, so I use them. If Appworld puts out a native alternative, then I'll go pick it up, but until then, I'll use the solution that has been given to me. Some people see the dingleberry as a necessity, but it is (was) also just a tool. Need USB OTG? Get dingleberry! Don't get me wrong, I love the Blackberry devices and software. I've become RIM's champion in my local area health services, but at the end of the day (as we're saying now) I just need to get things done.
    05-30-12 06:17 PM
    That's pretty much the norm for RIM. They hold things until the last possible moment...
    05-30-12 06:17 PM
    End of May one would normally assume that means the last day.
    I guess it will be available when it's available.
    My thoughts are however if the quote is "...before then end of May" means up to the day before the last day of the month and "...at the end of the month..." means the last day of the month up until 23:59.

Just my 2 cents though
    05-30-12 07:55 PM
    Given that they always release things at like 5am in the morning(EST), then it has to be in about 8 hours because tomorrow is already the 31st.

Unless the Dev Betas are different.

In either case, I'm looking forward to the update tomorrow or the day after

I hope it fixes a lot of the memory issues, bugs that cause apps to crash and improves the messages app(crashing and slow updating)
    05-30-12 08:02 PM
    Hahah, I suddenly recall all the rush on the forums the day before the OS2 update But it's a nice feeling once you know you'll get the update tomorrow and not "any time soon" which could mean like "at the end of the year" by RIM's dictionary
    05-30-12 08:04 PM
    Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who hates Android apps?
    Yes, if you're completely satisfied with the apps available purely for the Playbook, which many of us are not. Show me the following apps available for Playbook without an Android side-load or Android runner of some sort:

- Kindle
    - Olive Tree Bible
    - XM
    05-30-12 08:13 PM
    I'll be patiently waiting to grab the update.
    05-30-12 08:50 PM
619 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD