The problem with gmail and activesync remains. Any time I try to configure an account, I got the message 'The server for (Gmail - yyyy@xxxx) is either offline or your settings are incorrect. Please check your settings and try again.' If I reconfigure my Wifi settings to use a proxy, all works fine. But it's not easy to get a free proxy in the internet which don't slow down the browsing dramatically.
    It seems Blackberry hasn't solved this issue.
    Anybody else with this experience. I feel like the only guy who's using gmail and Playbook (strange).
    10-06-12 10:06 AM
    Took the plunge, installed 2.1 last night. Overall, a relatively painless experience, here's my observations on some of the points that have been raised in the hundreds of posts before:
    1) All my email accounts, calendars and contacts vanished. Two reboots did not fix the problem and the Accounts section of the settings menu was blank. I was starting to worry. However, I started up the Messages app and saw some messages starting to reappear and a message at the bottom showing the sync progress of my messages. In my case I have 5 email accounts, LinkedIn and Facebook, so I guess when there are over 12,000 messages to sync, it might be a little slow. Left it alone for half an hour and everything was back in business.
    2) It was initially quite laggy. However, I suspect this had to do with the syncing of my emails, because after the syncing was done, it was as slick as before.
    3) The contacts have all been separated, probably because the address book got repopulated. I will need to go back and link them together.
    4) There is checkerboarding in the browser, but only when I scroll pages that are not fully loaded. But once the page is completely loaded, long, picture heavy websites like crackberry work fine with no checkerboarding.
    5) Sideloaded and Android apps work fine. Internet connections through Android also work, at least for the LinkedIn app.
    6) SMS bridge works fine, portrait mode rocks.
    7) Facebook birthdays no longer show up in my calendar. Thank goodness, 2.0 was bugged because they were there even though I turned off the birthday notifications and hid the Facebook calendar.
    8) No bridge issues, no need to re-pair. I did already have bridge updated on my phone.

Tl;dr version - the update went well for me and delivered a lot of features (portrait mode PIM apps) and fixes (Facebook birthdays). Vanishing PIM stuff and lag might be due to message resyncing, so try leaving it for a while and then test it again.
    smartie88 likes this.
    10-06-12 11:21 AM
    I saw people commented before that instagram works (?) but only crashes when using the camera. So can it read the timeline w/o problem?

Anyone can share the working bar file (if any), because I converted the latest apk but it crashed on launch. Thanks!
    10-06-12 12:00 PM
    Took the plunge, installed 2.1 last night. Overall, a relatively painless experience, here's my observations on some of the points that have been raised in the hundreds of posts before:
    1) All my email accounts, calendars and contacts vanished. Two reboots did not fix the problem and the Accounts section of the settings menu was blank. I was starting to worry. However, I started up the Messages app and saw some messages starting to reappear and a message at the bottom showing the sync progress of my messages. In my case I have 5 email accounts, LinkedIn and Facebook, so I guess when there are over 12,000 messages to sync, it might be a little slow. Left it alone for half an hour and everything was back in business.
    2) It was initially quite laggy. However, I suspect this had to do with the syncing of my emails, because after the syncing was done, it was as slick as before.
    3) The contacts have all been separated, probably because the address book got repopulated. I will need to go back and link them together.
    4) There is checkerboarding in the browser, but only when I scroll pages that are not fully loaded. But once the page is completely loaded, long, picture heavy websites like crackberry work fine with no checkerboarding.
    5) Sideloaded and Android apps work fine. Internet connections through Android also work, at least for the LinkedIn app.
    6) SMS bridge works fine, portrait mode rocks.
    7) Facebook birthdays no longer show up in my calendar. Thank goodness, 2.0 was bugged because they were there even though I turned off the birthday notifications and hid the Facebook calendar.
    8) No bridge issues, no need to re-pair. I did already have bridge updated on my phone.

Tl;dr version - the update went well for me and delivered a lot of features (portrait mode PIM apps) and fixes (Facebook birthdays). Vanishing PIM stuff and lag might be due to message resyncing, so try leaving it for a while and then test it again.
    I got annoyed by the repeating of Facebook birthday reminders that would not stop coming back despite dismissing it each time, but solving this with completely taking it away from the calendar sux even more. That like not driving a car anymore that has a nail in the tire and needs to be reinflated constantly.
    10-06-12 12:28 PM
    has any one else noticed the mini keyboard has changed after 2.1 upgrade ,all the alternative keys are now on top . I have tried changeing back but not happening .
    10-06-12 02:07 PM
    my led doesn't blink when i have a new bbm message, but it does blink when a new email arrived, does anyone has this same issue? any solution so far?
    10-06-12 07:46 PM
    I only email using bridge email. my LED doesn't work with bbm, texts, or bridge email. Is it supposed to?
    10-06-12 07:51 PM
    I have no problems using Gmail on my playbook via wifi. Have you tried generating a device specific password for your playbook on your google account and using that?

The problem with gmail and activesync remains. Any time I try to configure an account, I got the message 'The server for (Gmail - yyyy@xxxx) is either offline or your settings are incorrect. Please check your settings and try again.' If I reconfigure my Wifi settings to use a proxy, all works fine. But it's not easy to get a free proxy in the internet which don't slow down the browsing dramatically.
    It seems Blackberry hasn't solved this issue.
    Anybody else with this experience. I feel like the only guy who's using gmail and Playbook (strange).
    10-06-12 07:55 PM
    I only email using bridge email. my LED doesn't work with bbm, texts, or bridge email. Is it supposed to?
    My led doesn't work either. The update seems to have broken more than it fixed. I'm just amazed...
    10-06-12 09:14 PM
    my led doesn't blink when i have a new bbm message, but it does blink when a new email arrived, does anyone has this same issue? any solution so far?
    I just noticed that problem recently but not bbm since I don't use bridge. A lot of the time incoming email notifications don't trigger. Either the LED doesn't blink, or the message icon is missing the red spark icon, or both. I have to basically rely on seeing if the top left corner of the screen is pulsing red or not (when locked screen) or see the mail icon uptop before I know I have new emails.

Again this problem is intermittent, some times it works and some times it doesn't. But it definitely is annoying esp when I have 5 email accounts routed to my playbook.

Bring on 2.1.1 or BB10 ASAP!!!!!!
    10-06-12 09:20 PM
    I got annoyed by the repeating of Facebook birthday reminders that would not stop coming back despite dismissing it each time, but solving this with completely taking it away from the calendar sux even more. That like not driving a car anymore that has a nail in the tire and needs to be reinflated constantly.
    I take it that now in 2.1, if you have the birthday reminders turned on, they no longer display? My birthday reminders just don't show because I explicitly turned them off, and I'm too nervous to turn them on again to test.
    10-06-12 09:44 PM
    For the next update how about shortening the TWO YEARS it takes to boot
    hear hear! it's crazy!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    10-06-12 10:10 PM
    The percentage function has been removed from the BB calculator!!
    10-06-12 10:38 PM
    The percentage function has been removed from the BB calculator!!
    Dang!!! Now I have to figure out how to divide by 100. Hmmm...
    10-07-12 12:00 AM
    Dang!!! Now I have to figure out how to divide by 100. Hmmm...
    That's not the point. Why in the world was it important to remove it?
    10-07-12 12:07 AM
    I take it that now in 2.1, if you have the birthday reminders turned on, they no longer display? My birthday reminders just don't show because I explicitly turned them off, and I'm too nervous to turn them on again to test.
    It's not just about the reminders. It is about that none of your friends birthdays even show in the calendar anymore.
    10-07-12 12:09 AM
    That's not the point. Why in the world was it important to remove it?
    They probably didn't remove it, but rather forgot to include it

It's things like this that make me fear for RIM...
    10-07-12 12:16 AM
    The Android runtime still needs a method of being unloaded from memory when not needed besides a forced overload of memory by launching a bunch of apps.
    10-07-12 01:59 AM
    hi, so i updated too. result is very good in my case.

ignoring my own advice, i did not wipe before or after the update. just made my first backup of config, apps, and manually some documents and android app folders.

update via win pc took loooong time. download error, after ok it resumed and continued where it failed. after two hours i came back, it was done. one more manual reboot, then testing.

almost all things were still there. apps with former settings, android apps with former settings. both ran nice, android starts faster. the whole tablet works sigificantly faster and smoother.

negative: as expected my test entry of local contact and local calender were gone. stock browser vanished once while surfing (at that time 4 tabs open).

i expected 5 fixes on annoying problems

wifi dropping/disconnection all the time: lets see, so far didnt happen anymore
    hotmail active sync - calender duplicate: seem to be gone. nice
    same for email - mail folder duplication gone. nice
    better stability in calender sync - maybe related to all of the above. lets see
    better srability in email sync push

so far i am really happy, despite most new features not interesting for me. rim gave me an update that makes playbook more reliable, and thats what i expect from a company like rim.

bb10 improvements will be welcomed and are enough for ME to be tied to rim. i would be able to further avoid apple and android.

Ray

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    10-07-12 04:27 AM
    They probably didn't remove it, but rather forgot to include it

It's things like this that make me fear for RIM...
    Maybe reading this site they felt it was confusing and enough users had mastered basic arithmetic.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    10-07-12 06:12 AM
    Did not automatically adjust my time zone when travelling yesterday.
    10-07-12 07:41 AM
    might be too early, but almost one hour working in internet via wifi. in this room i had lots of disconnects in 2.0. now none so far. hope this improvement is real.

connected to Fritzbox wlan 7170 via wpa2, and still WMM setting disabled because of os 20. i have not changed anything in fritzbox or playbook settings since update.

very good

ray

PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-07-12 07:48 AM
    Read about os21 reports like "only gmail main calender shows, no shared calender". i dont know if the following will help to pin down the issue there.

i have a hotmail account for family calender. all devices including PB are linked as Exchange ActiveSync.

i see all main calender entries, as well as the birthday cal, and vacation days cal. archive cal also visible, but i dont have entries there, so cannot confirm it really works. but my shared hotmsil cals work well in general.

ray

10-07-12 07:58 AM
    New update gives a great improvement in battery life. Prior to update my play book would rarely last a day unless I put it into airplane mode or turned off wifi. Now 3 days and still at 40% with email open. This was my biggest problem so I am vary happy
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-07-12 10:20 AM
    After updating did anyone get message from Facebook saying someone tried to access their account from waterloo Canada?
    10-07-12 01:56 PM
926 ... 3132333435 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD