I tried upgrading about eleventy-three times and always got an error about 85% through the download. Finally gave up in frustration, but lo and behold I noticed the bridge sms feature is now installed on my playbook. It works flawlessly. I even had a threeway conversation with my wife on pb, I on my torch and one of her friends texting us. NO noticeable bugs or glitches whatsoever. No MMS capability though.
    10-05-12 06:26 PM
    Only one of the several sideloaded apps didn't work (i.e.Ultimate To-Do List). I was advised to delete and re-install, but do not know if that means I have to repurchase the application.
    10-05-12 06:26 PM
    Battery life is vastly improved. Going on 14 hours and still have 61% battery!
    10-05-12 06:34 PM
    Has anyone else lost the Video store/player icon from their PB? Did the update, rebooted but no video icon!
    Kiddoc, try to find another wifi location from a different provider than your current. I had same issue here with Telus here in Canada. I wifi hot spotted to my blackberry and voila all of a sudden an update was available with all the icons I was missing appearing including music and video store
    10-05-12 06:51 PM
    My camera does NOT work since the 1032 upgrade.
    Camera error 4003 is all I get.

I did a security wipe/file backup/ de-brick and with no pictures in the folder - same error.

So it's not a picture write error - is it. By the way where is the list of error codes??

Starting the camera app screen is totally black expect for camera nav buttons.

I use the video recorder several times a week - need this to work. It's the OS that screwed it up - got to get this on the A-1 Bug List!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frustrating as .
    10-05-12 07:08 PM
    I still have the icon indicating unread text after restart as well... anyone know how to rid the presky red asterisc notification on SMS text bridge??
    10-05-12 07:25 PM
    When plugged to the PC i received a message saying that the PB wasnt charging.

And guys, it really wasnt! Drop from 36% to 33% while sideloading some apps...

Bug?
    10-05-12 07:37 PM

Bug?
    Not a bug. Your PlayBook is using more power than the PC USB can put out. There's no way it can add to the device's charge in that situation. It's the nature of electricity. There's a reason they ship higher output chargers with these devices.
    10-05-12 07:47 PM
    I ran into a weird bug on OS 2.1.0.1032. Normally when you swipe down the top of the browser, the tabs appear on top of the current web page, but one time the tabs appear under the current page! I have no idea how to recreate that bug.

Attachment 122326
    LOL Questrade - I use them too and have the same problem from time to time - it happened with the 2.0 OS as well. You basically have to close and restart the browser, usually works. I think it might have something to with the Java code Questrade uses? I wish they would come out with a native Playbook app already!
    10-05-12 07:53 PM
    Battery life is vastly improved. Going on 14 hours and still have 61% battery!
    NO way if you're using it at all.

Bug?
    The only way it will charge from a usb and slowwwwww at that is if you're not using it and the screen is off.
    Michel Souris likes this.
    10-05-12 07:54 PM
    I tried upgrading about eleventy-three times and always got an error about 85% through the download. Finally gave up in frustration, but lo and behold I noticed the bridge sms feature is now installed on my playbook. It works flawlessly. I even had a threeway conversation with my wife on pb, I on my torch and one of her friends texting us. NO noticeable bugs or glitches whatsoever. No MMS capability though.
    No problems upgrading through either wifi or usb (i have two PB). I to notice that there is no capacity for MMS even though the phone does. I appreciate that there is a difference, SMS vs MMS. Just a shame and would be good to send mms with pictures or edited tunes/ringtones. Not a deal breaker though very happy with the upgrade.

ALSO nice upgrade on the site CB, very Fit. Although not sure about this auto save thing can I turn it off?
    10-05-12 08:03 PM
    Happy for you Patrick.

By any chance had you previously deleted some (any) of your camera pix? I can now find my latest camera pix in that folder, however, they are named IMG_0000001. jpg, IMG_0000002.jpg, etc. I couldn't find them before because I was looking for them among the latest pix taken, not the earliest. Ive taken 181 pictures in total but had deleted some of them, including the first 14. I'm wondering what will happen when I take my 15th new picture. Will it erase the current IMG_0000000015.jpg and replace it with the most recent picture taken or will it place the new picture in a different folder?

You may wish to check the file names of your current camera pix and track whether the pictures disappear as you take new ones. You may also wish to upload to your computer hard drive the camera pix you wish to save from deletion. I'm planning to do that, then delete the contents of the camera pictures folders so I don't have to deal with any fallout when the playbook wants to create a new file with the same name as an existing file....
    Hey Pickles,

Thanks for your good wishes! No problems with my picture folders here. I have deleted a few, but still have over 200 pictures in my camera folder. But I have to say I'm not buying your theory about automatic picture deletion & replacement.

What I noticed by using the "Files & Folders" app is that the screen capture feature now saves its files as a ".png" file. They are numbered sequentially using "img00000001.png", "img00000002.png", etc. Because the filename & extension is different now, it seems that the screen-capture pictures now show up in a different sequence than before. This likely accounts for the "missing" picture reports.

Regarding your point about transferring the files so they don't get lost, maybe try using the backup feature in the BlackBerry Desktop Software. It makes it quite easy to back up your media files (pictures, videos, music etc.) as well as simplifying the process of copying the files and folders from the PB onto your computer, whether it is a windows or apple computer.
    10-05-12 08:21 PM
    Has anyone noticed that the buttons like "Try again" in browser and all are now changed, and look a lot better?
    10-05-12 09:29 PM
    Hey Pickles,

Thanks for your good wishes! No problems with my picture folders here. I have deleted a few, but still have over 200 pictures in my camera folder. But I have to say I'm not buying your theory about automatic picture deletion & replacement.

What I noticed by using the "Files & Folders" app is that the screen capture feature now saves its files as a ".png" file. They are numbered sequentially using "img00000001.png", "img00000002.png", etc. Because the filename & extension is different now, it seems that the screen-capture pictures now show up in a different sequence than before. This likely accounts for the "missing" picture reports.
    Unfortunately, no. You are correct about the screen capture file format, but in my case I took a picture -- not a screen capture -- and it was also saved out of sequence as a jpg: IMG_0000001.jpg It will be extremely annoying to have to flip through all my camera pictures simply to find where the Playbook has decided to store the latest photo.

Regarding your point about transferring the files so they don't get lost, maybe try using the backup feature in the BlackBerry Desktop Software. It makes it quite easy to back up your media files (pictures, videos, music etc.) as well as simplifying the process of copying the files and folders from the PB onto your computer, whether it is a windows or apple computer.
    That wouldn't accomplish my goal: cleaning out the existing photos so that new pictures will be filed sequentially. The back up (when it works) preserves data but doesn't correct errors made by the OS such as the one I've described. When it comes to music, video and photos, I prefer to copy data over the wifi to the hard drive on my computer. This will give me easy access to my photos without the need to restore the back up. I can then erase the current photos and start over, with a clean slate.

I still have trouble understanding how, and why, RIM chose to save new pictures this way. This is about the third upgrade I've done and they never did it before.
    10-05-12 09:35 PM
    Unfortunately, no. You are correct about the screen capture file format, but in my case I took a picture -- not a screen capture -- and it was also saved out of sequence as a jpg: IMG_0000001.jpg It will be extremely annoying to have to flip through all my camera pictures simply to find where the Playbook has decided to store the latest photo.

That wouldn't accomplish my goal: cleaning out the existing photos so that new pictures will be filed sequentially. The back up (when it works) preserves data but doesn't correct errors made by the OS such as the one I've described. When it comes to music, video and photos, I prefer to copy data over the wifi to the hard drive on my computer. This will give me easy access to my photos without the need to restore the back up. I can then erase the current photos and start over, with a clean slate.

I still have trouble understanding how, and why, RIM chose to save new pictures this way. This is about the third upgrade I've done and they never did it before.
    OK Pickles, I see your point but raise you another point...

I tried taking a few pictures with my PB camera just now to see what happens with the filenames. I had several dozen photos in the camera folder, and as most people with digital cameras, I go thru them and delete the ones I don't like. Normally the PB will assign sequentially numbered filenames for its photos. By deleting some photos, this leaves a "gap" in the numerical sequence. It seems that the PB OS now numbers its new camera photos filling in these gaps. Without wanting to be too pedantic, I had 21 photos named "img00000001.jpg" up to "img00000021.jpg". The photos that were taken earlier, #22 & #23, had been deleted by me. There was also 2 more with filenames "img00000024.jpg" & 25. #26 had been deleted and more photos continued with #27 and up.

I took 3 photos and they were automatically assigned the names "img00000022.jpg", "img00000023.jpg" & "img00000026.jpg".

My Canon & Nikon camera both use sequential numbering, but when I delete some pics, they don't try to assign the deleted #'s to the new photos. They just pick up the numerical sequence after the number used for the last picture taken It strikes me that this is the way people would expect the filenames to be organized. This filling in of the gaps to re-use the numbers of deleted pictures makes no sense at all.

I say Mr. Pickles has found a very valid problem with this file numbering system. It is particularly problematic because the PB picture folder does not have any means of determining how the pictures are sorted. It would be expected that we could sort the pictures by name, date, type, size etc. Why not? In fact, you can't even see the filename from inside the picture app. Go figure.
    10-05-12 10:51 PM
    My camera does NOT work since the 1032 upgrade.
    Camera error 4003 is all I get.

I did a security wipe/file backup/ de-brick and with no pictures in the folder - same error.

So it's not a picture write error - is it. By the way where is the list of error codes??

Starting the camera app screen is totally black expect for camera nav buttons.

I use the video recorder several times a week - need this to work. It's the OS that screwed it up - got to get this on the A-1 Bug List!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frustrating as .
    Have you gotten a solution to the camera issue? I have the exact same problem did four security wipes but no luck. I googled the error code but so far have found nothing to fix it - Except for a guy who had the same problem with a beta version and apparently had to send his PB back to RIM. I also use the camera a lot
    10-05-12 11:51 PM
    I can confirm that the Camera is accessible and usable via Android App (Tested and works with Whatsapp)
    10-06-12 02:42 AM
    I can confirm that the Camera is accessible and usable via Android App (Tested and works with Whatsapp)
    This means that maybe in a short time we could have Skype on our Playbooks?

Meanwhile, I have made some new test, and it is not my PB that is laggy... It just slows down when I switch on the WiFi connection.

When I put the WiFi on my Playbook doesn't respond as quick as it should. It takes some seconds (which seem ages) for opening apps and menus that normally open inmediatly as you touch it.

Also, what REALLY bothers me is that the "open on Playbook" function doesn't work anymore and I usually use it a lot.

Does anyone has the same problem? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers from Barcelona! ;-)
    Last edited by Biulet; 10-06-12 at 04:20 AM.
    10-06-12 04:08 AM
    Concerning tabs:
    I had the weirdest experience with my browser a few days ago. I swiped down to see my tabs, and the whole view was different! If you're familiar with Firefox, that's what the tabs looked like! They were like manila folder tabs, and the address bar was different. The thing is, though, it was only briefly. It changed back to the normal look after a second. The color scheme was normal, the layout was totally different. This was before upgrading. My browser has been getting increasingly hokey lately.

Concerning picture naming:
    One word; FRAGMENTATION. Reusing file names reduces fragmented blocks thereby improving device performance.
    10-06-12 07:00 AM
    very happy with this update.. battery life has improved!!
    Pair the Playbook with SoundLink for over 5 hrs, battery guru showed a drop from 77 to 69 only !!
    10-06-12 07:31 AM
    This means that maybe in a short time we could have Skype on our Playbooks?

Meanwhile, I have made some new test, and it is not my PB that is laggy... It just slows down when I switch on the WiFi connection.

When I put the WiFi on my Playbook doesn't respond as quick as it should. It takes some seconds (which seem ages) for opening apps and menus that normally open inmediatly as you touch it.

Also, what REALLY bothers me is that the "open on Playbook" function doesn't work anymore and I usually use it a lot.

Does anyone has the same problem? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers from Barcelona! ;-)
    My "Open on PlayBook" doesn't work either.
    I think even though there's some people that said to have no issues with this update, there's still too many that do. It seems that this update is the most troublesome so far.
    There is excessive spread with too many different issues. It shouldn't be that way, considered that there is actually not really a reason for that variety of problems. Differences between user's devices consist of mostly RIM approved apps from appworld and user personalized settings. And then a number of sideloaders. I sure hope with BB10 they got their act together, as the PB OS is virtually the same and to some degree they don't seem to get it under control.
    For example the FB sync got broken. It basically just puts friends in your contact list and every now and then manages to sync messages sent. The calendar function is dead, even though it says it syncs their Birthdays. I cannot fathom how this did get by testing. I am amazed. This is not just a bug, it's a broken function.
    10-06-12 08:40 AM
    very happy with this update.. battery life has improved!!
    Pair the Playbook with SoundLink for over 5 hrs, battery guru showed a drop from 77 to 69 only !!
    Okay for something really odd I was using the PB and the battery was low and I heard Yoda say something about needing to charge. I had the TV on so I was puzzled so I plugged it in and the Guru screen came up and Yoda said charging you are. Except I do not have this app installed. Did this come with the update?
    10-06-12 09:25 AM
    Initially after the upgrade apparently the OS needed to settle in but i was having dramatic battery drain. I left my Playbook at home on Thursday at 77% and came home and it was dead. However, i full charged it yesterday in the morning and ive been using it moderately since. And its at 63% and thats soooo good.

New findings:
    OS less laggy, swipe gestures work better
    Moderate Checkerboarding on heavy sites after page fully loads
    Browsing is faster over bridge now. Yesterday i thought i was connected to wifi until i got a message that said bridge unable to establish a connection, it was then that i realised wifi was off.
    Wifi connects much faster
    Scroll lock doesnt work in the browser again, where i could hold the bezel to prevent scrolling. So i guess multi gesture input is now supported.

I found a new nifty feature that i didnt know was available with the keyboard. When predictive keyboard is enabled if you press and hold a word in the prediction, you can choose to have it permanently removed or if its a new word you can press and hold to add it to the dictionary. Its features like this that RIM needs to indicate to the user.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    10-06-12 09:35 AM
    OK Pickles, I see your point but raise you another point...

I tried taking a few pictures with my PB camera just now to see what happens with the filenames.
    Thank you for being my guinea pig, Patrick
    ... Deleting some photos... leaves a "gap" in the numerical sequence. It seems that the PB OS now numbers its new camera photos filling in these gaps. Without wanting to be too pedantic, I had 21 photos named "img00000001.jpg" up to "img00000021.jpg". The photos that were taken earlier, #22 & #23, had been deleted by me. There was also 2 more with filenames "img00000024.jpg" & 25. #26 had been deleted and more photos continued with #27 and up.

I took 3 photos and they were automatically assigned the names "img00000022.jpg", "img00000023.jpg" & "img00000026.jpg".
    Precisely what I thought. For people who take a lot of pictures with their Playbook, it makes finding a particular shot much more difficult than before. Previously the sequential filenames preserved the chronological order of the picture taking.

My Canon & Nikon camera both use sequential numbering, but when I delete some pics, they don't try to assign the deleted #'s to the new photos. They just pick up the numerical sequence after the number used for the last picture taken It strikes me that this is the way people would expect the filenames to be organized. This filling in of the gaps to re-use the numbers of deleted pictures makes no sense at all.
    Now we're on the same page. I can't think of a single rational reason for RIM to have done this, so I assume its a bug.
    10-06-12 09:45 AM
    Is there an estimate on when android apps that use the internet will be usable? I don't see the point of a 400mb update I only downloaded because it would "improve the android experience" by mostly removing the android experience from my device.
    therealjoeblow likes this.
    10-06-12 09:48 AM
926 ... 3031323334 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD