i tested everything i could, everything worked as good as before or better and faster, except:

1. all local contacts are gone. it's a pity because i loaded them manually and selectively.
    2. My mail account was gone too. Was able to fix it by manual re-entering several times and re-powering.
    3. Some applications with voice or sound produced stutter. was able to fix it by several re-powers.

browser is slightly faster, the BT bridge is much faster (i did not even try the wi-fi bridge and did not re-install the new app on my bb phone).
    all native apps work smoothly. all android apps open and none have crashed so far. ram memory was slightly higher. the battery improvement reported by others is bool (for me at least, but the charging time is definitely faster - no idea why)

overall - good, solid upgrade.
    10-04-12 08:19 AM
    Seems my Bridge SMS has glitches as well, shows several conversations but listed as all by the same contact.... and all the message instances are the same ? Tried restarting at least twice now.... anyone else having simliar issues ? or fixes ?

Otherwise portrait native email, android apps, screen capture, seem to be working well.
    Same here. All my SMS messages show up under a random(?) contact (actually my old employer from three companies ago so go figure). Tried rebooting, reconnecting to the bridge, even deleting the contact. But still showing up. It initially starts with a list of my recent text messages but morphs quickly in to a long list showing the same 9 conversation threads.
    10-04-12 08:20 AM
    Another facebook issue -
    If I go to friends photo albums, I can't select a random photo. It ALWAYS loads the FIRST photo in the album no matter which one I select. The only way to get to other photo's in an album is to load the first picture and scroll one at a time to the one I want to see. :-(
    Yup, that does exist...sigh

While any update is always welcome, this update is not much to write home about. I guess 2.1 was overhyped by many on this board as many mentioned the .1 is more of a major upgrade so it is frankly sort of a let down aside from the android player. Anyway, I guess we can all wait for BB10 to see a major upgrade and considering the situation RIM is in, it's understandable.

So how does this bridge over with wifi work? I haven't seen anyone mention anything about it how it works.

One huge step back in 2.1 is the inability to now drop down a menu using the triple touch method. Now it's a hit or miss and it's a major issue for me. Hopefully they bring that back.
    Last edited by Vector-SS; 10-04-12 at 08:26 AM.
    10-04-12 08:22 AM
    Same here. All my SMS messages show up under a random(?) contact (actually my old employer from three companies ago so go figure). Tried rebooting, reconnecting to the bridge, even deleting the contact. But still showing up. It initially starts with a list of my recent text messages but morphs quickly in to a long list showing the same 9 conversation threads.
    There is a bug if your contacts have letters in the phone number field. I had the same problem and just deleted the contact, but later read in this thread about the letters in the Phone number field.
    10-04-12 08:22 AM
    New one on me.
    Surely this means tether over wifi, or strictly using your phone as a Wifi Hotspot, and connecting that way.
    Thats the way I connect when away from home. Got to be better than f*nnying around with BT.
    From the PlayBook 2.1 User Guide page 42:

New features

BlackBerry Bridge app traffic over Wi-Fi:

When your smartphone and tablet are connected using BlackBerry Bridge, and both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, BlackBerry Bridge apps can exchange information between your devices using Wi-Fi instead of a Bluetooth connection.
    Using a Wi-Fi connection for BlackBerry Bridge traffic can increase the speed that new messages appear on your tablet or that large documents stored on your smartphone open.
    (Requires BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1)
    10-04-12 08:25 AM
    debrick #2 still no video chat, wtf. interesting observation though, after setup a 3mb update was available, this was for the canada region
    security wipe for giggles, change my region to usa, after setup a 296mb update is available, wtf? and still no video chat
    annoying, how do so many people have so many different problems? i can understand a few universal problems but this is ridicules
    i love how i can have two playbooks, one installs perfectly fine no issues and another is a complete gongshow
    Last edited by bovid; 10-04-12 at 09:01 AM.
    10-04-12 08:49 AM
    It is so evedent that the PB is not for the average user. Who wants to deal with all this crap. Also, why would RIM release a beta months before and still have the final release so buggy? I don't believe RIM really listens.
    10-04-12 08:55 AM
    Name of app publisher in App World is now displayed as link that opens the page with all its apps:

10-04-12 09:00 AM
    It is so evident that the PB is not for the average user. Who wants to deal with all this crap. Also, why would RIM release a beta months before and still have the final release so buggy? I don't believe RIM really listens.
    The PlayBook was initially targeted for the corporate user and this explains why some things do not always make sense to us. If you were an early adopter of the PlayBook, this corporate/security bias was even more obvious, such as no email app without a BlackBerry phone.
    10-04-12 09:04 AM
    The PlayBook was initially targeted for the corporate user and this explains why some things do not always make sense to us. If you were an early adopter of the PlayBook, this corporate/security bias was even more obvious, such as no email app without a BlackBerry phone.
    Unfortunately most corporates didn't accept it (and the really security conscious ones) - read banks and government, switched on the No Bridge option in BES)...

Even making this an option was stupid for RIM - they should have mandated Bridge (and PlayBook access) and Balance in all phones... Give a Security Guy a safer option and they will take it.

At the last place I worked (large Intl Bank), PlayBook was tested and discarded (Bridge solution to difficult) and they continue an iPad pilot with Good.... Meanwhile a lot of employees have now bought personal ipads, and email sensitive documents to google/hotmail for reading
    10-04-12 09:27 AM
    Can anyone say if the SMS messenger works exactly like BBM over bridge?... my concern is that both myself and my girlfriend and I use bridge with our respective phones... want to know that multiple accounts are fine and that it doesn't save logs onboard.
    10-04-12 09:28 AM
    Name of app publisher in App World is now displayed as link that opens the page with all its apps:
    That's good.
    Would still like AppWorld to show whether an App is native or not... The PlayBook apps are generally much better than the Android ones, and from the pictures it can sometimes be tough to tell.
    10-04-12 09:31 AM
    Downloaded the latest OS 2.1 for playbook as of October 3, 2012. The new update I notice is the ability to sms from the playbook now.

What has not been fixed is the email issue. I still can't view my email via bridge but can view all other bridged aps like calendar, contacts, sms etc. The email issue is pre existing prior to this latest OS update.

What it did prior when I clicked on the email icon was the screen would keep blinking white and black over and over. What it does now is that it appears to get stuck while attempting to open it and the green circle just spins and spins but the screen is white on the left where the messages would be visible and the right side where you read the emails is just grayed or blacked out.

Even the work around won't work by going to http://localhost:187

Any fixes for this or anyone having the same issue? My phone is the bold 9700. The latest OS and bridge software is running currently.
    10-04-12 09:38 AM
    Both my Playbooks are afflicted with the following after installing 2.1.x yesterday.
    I open thr URL for Foxnews.com, it loads but then:

Media Error
    This media file is of an unsupported type or could not be loaded. It cannot be played.

Error: Decode Error

Pictures on page show but when trying to view a video clip the above series of error messages appear. This happens in both the native browser and SimpleBrowser +.

It does not error out on nbcnews.com or CNN. Anyone else have this problem?
    10-04-12 09:39 AM
    I found that the autotext feature no longer works in bridge mode which is a Really Big deal for me. I use this feature everyday for my work. It's one of the small things that sets the Blackberry apart from any other device. The trade off for me may not be worth it.
    Something is wrong then. I am getting autotext while bridged to email, BBM, etc. Sever the bridge link, uninstall your Bridge app on the phone, reload it, battery pull, then reconnect to the tabby. I agree that not having autotext is a killer while bridged, but most of us are not experiencing this.

I hear all the issues. But when I encounter an app that doesn't work, I dump the app and reload it. Appworld makes it so easy for us to do a clean install if we are having a problem.

But I would also agree that the novice user should get irritated by all the steps required to get things working right. Maybe that is a reason that the RIM tabby is cheaper than the iPad. Anyway, I feel your annoyance.
    10-04-12 09:39 AM
    One improvement I thought we could have counted on was the migration of the Bridge email and calendar interface over to the TAT design. That shouldn't have been labor intensive or problematic; what happened there?
    10-04-12 09:42 AM
    Both my Playbooks are afflicted with the following after installing 2.1.x yesterday.

Media Error
    This media file is of an unsupported type or could not be loaded. It cannot be played.

Pictures on page show but when trying to view a video clip the above series of error messages appear. This happens in both the native browser and SimpleBrowser +.

I should be shunned for giving in to the urge to make the obvious observation that the new OS clearly has a liberal political bias.
    urbanguy likes this.
    10-04-12 09:45 AM
    Downloaded the latest OS 2.1 for playbook as of October 3, 2012. The new update I notice is the ability to sms from the playbook now.

What has not been fixed is the email issue. I still can't view my email via bridge but can view all other bridged aps like calendar, contacts, sms etc. The email issue is pre existing prior to this latest OS update.

What it did prior when I clicked on the email icon was the screen would keep blinking white and black over and over. What it does now is that it appears to get stuck while attempting to open it and the green circle just spins and spins but the screen is white on the left where the messages would be visible and the right side where you read the emails is just grayed or blacked out.

Any fixes for this or anyone having the same issue? My phone is the bold 9700. The latest OS and bridge software is running currently.
    Do a hard reboot of the tabby and a battery pull on your phone. We always recommend a hard reset to the device after an OS update of either.

First, make sure you have the 2.1 version of Bridge installed. If it is installed, uninstall it and then reload, then battery pull. Then open the Bridge app on the Bold, connect to the tabby, and check the menu, device properties. Make sure that the boxes are checked under messages.
    10-04-12 09:48 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions. The latest update is installed on both the playbook and bold 9700. Hard restart several times produced no results, battery removed to no avail. Still not resolved
    10-04-12 09:55 AM
    Unfortunately most corporates didn't accept it (and the really security conscious ones) - read banks and government, switched on the No Bridge option in BES)...

Even making this an option was stupid for RIM - they should have mandated Bridge (and PlayBook access) and Balance in all phones... Give a Security Guy a safer option and they will take it.
    There may have been other reasons for switching off the bridge option, such as excessive data usage. There was a post here a while back where a corporate user believing he had unlimited data was using his PlayBook for entertainment which included a lot of streaming of media over the PlayBook. He got a call from his IT guys that his data bill was in the thousands of dollars and much higher than usual.
    10-04-12 09:56 AM

bad OS or bad setting on phone in bridge app.

os fix: backup, wipe, use dm to do new reinstall of os.
    app fix: device setting in bridge app select accounts u want going to pb
    10-04-12 09:57 AM
    Since the update, my bookmarks/favorites folder for the browser is taking 38-45 seconds to load! This is each time I click on it. It is lagging when I also tap the edit button. My bookmarks never took this long, at the most maybe 2 seconds. This may not be a big deal to others, but it is to me, as I use this every day. Is there any way to resolve this. I have done one restart. Also the text feature is not coming through on the playbook. Frustrating to say the least...
    Last edited by Shash5; 10-04-12 at 10:01 AM.
    10-04-12 09:57 AM
    Hi guys, when bridged to my 9780 both with BT and WiFi i can open bridge e-mail but i am unable to open the native e-mail. Is this normal or i have slme problems?
    Thanks
    10-04-12 10:05 AM

Media Error

Went and tried it for you and I have the same problem and error codes so it's not just you. Playbook apparently now has a media conflict with the site.
    10-04-12 10:10 AM
    Updated yesterday. email, calendar, bridge and android all work fine. But I'm having two major problems:
    - iTune Sync and Splashtop (1) can no longer find my Mac even when ip is entered manually. That's a major issue for me. is anyone else having the same problem?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-04-12 10:11 AM
926 ... 2526272829 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD