Unbelievable. You have your music playlists carefully set up in iTunes (or WMP), and until OS 2.0 they transferred over intact any time you did a Music Sync on DM. Now the PB just reorders them alphabetically by album title. Resyncing doesn't help.

I don't see any way to fix this. Way to go, RIM.
    02-23-12 04:14 AM
    I noticed this as well .. It kinda frustrated me as I have song titles in certain orders in different playlists for a reason. Maybe they'll release a fix for it in a small update or something, we can only hope.
    02-23-12 04:37 AM
    I have all my playlists named with an order number in the front, eg, 01 - Playlist 1

My playlists are still in the order they were in pre OS2.

And my song titles are similar. They are also in the same order.

I don't use iTunes to organize my music though. I use MediaMonkey. I make playlist recognized by WMP which in turn is picked up my DM.
    02-23-12 06:13 AM
    I have all my playlists named with an order number in the front, eg, 01 - Playlist 1

My playlists are still in the order they were in pre OS2.

And my song titles are similar. They are also in the same order.

I don't use iTunes to organize my music though. I use MediaMonkey. I make playlist recognized by WMP which in turn is picked up my DM.
    So you are saying that the PB 2.0 keeps playlists intact if WMP was selected as the music source in DM?

I'm not sure why that would be the case. The playlists on my PB were fine the day before OS 2.0 came out. After I upgraded, all of the songs on the playlists were rearranged in alphabetical order by album. I didn't sync to DM -- it was the OS upgrade that rearranged them. The only thing that I can think of is that the PB itself now somehow differentiates between an iTunes-based playlist and a WMP-based playlist.

If this is true that WMP playlists carry over intact, this is probably a good time for me to dump iTunes as a music source for my PB in DM. I use it for the PB because it's what I use to sync music on my 9810. I have my music on WMP, too, but it's ALL of my music -- which is well beyond the capacity of the 32GB card on my 9810. It's not beyond the capacity of my PB 64GB, though . . . .
    02-23-12 06:39 AM
    Hey bump.

Can anyone else confirm that songs in their playlists are in the correct order and that they sync in DM with WMP as the source for music organization? (Or for that matter, confirm that songs in their playlists are suddenly disordered and they sync in DM with iTunes as the source?)
    02-23-12 08:39 AM
    Bueller? Bueller?
    02-23-12 01:39 PM
    I do not sync so my playlists have been fine. I just copied them over to the pb. I recall another post about this problem from the last day or two.
    02-23-12 04:43 PM
    I do not sync so my playlists have been fine. I just copied them over to the pb. I recall another post about this problem from the last day or two.
    You simply copy WMP or iTunes Playlist files over to the PB? I can't even find where on the PB playlists files are kept.

I'm still curious as to whether anyone who uses WMP instead of iTunes when syncing with DM still has the song order in their playlists on the PB intact.
    02-24-12 05:56 AM
    As an update here, I resynced with DM using WMP as my media library source, and the songs in the playlists it transferred over to the PB were still out of order. So much for that theory.

To top it off, the iTunes-based playlists were still on there, thus giving me dupes of each playlist.

I dug around to see where playlists were kept on the PB so I could at least delete the dupes, and found them in a garbage-name folder in /music/Media Sync/Playlists. (I had two of these folders, representing both the iTunes-based and WMP-based syncs.)

The playlist files in these folders are all .m3u files. I checked them out, and all of the songs are in the correct order. I played around with pulling the .m3u files out of the subfolder without any change, and then I edited them to make plain vanilla .m3u files with relative directory listings, and still no luck. So for some reason, the PB -- or at least my PB -- is not reading the songs in the .m3u file in the proper order.

I'm curious, F2 (and others who may just copy their .m3u playlists directly over and still have the songs ordered correctly in each playlist) -- where are your .m3u files on your PB, and how are the .m3u files set up? That is, if you sync via DM, a song in an iTunes or WMP playlist shows up in the converted .m3u playlist like this:

file:///store/music/Media%20Sync/Grateful%20Dead/Live_Dead/02.%20St.%20Stephen.mp3

Editing the .m3u file to make it a plain vanilla relative directory format like this doesn't help:

Grateful Dead\Live_Dead\02. St. Stephen.mp3

I'm not sure why that would make any difference because it seems the problem is simply with the PB not displaying songs from .m3u files in the proper order.
    03-01-12 07:17 AM
    I just spent 10 minutes, at least, playing. I believe you are right. And what is even more NOT interesting, it seems that the same thing is happening on my new 9930 phone.

I need to do more checking.....
    03-01-12 10:29 AM
    I just spent 10 minutes, at least, playing. I believe you are right. And what is even more NOT interesting, it seems that the same thing is happening on my new 9930 phone.

I need to do more checking.....
    All is good with the playlists on my 9810 running 7.1, praise jeebus.

I just tried deleting all of the playlists on the PB and the Playlist folder, and copied a single .m3u onto the PB that I created myself, putting it in the same directory as all of the artist folders. No dice. Songs still showed up out of order. It's a bug.
    03-01-12 10:35 AM
    All is good with the playlists on my 9810 running 7.1, praise jeebus.

I just tried deleting all of the playlists on the PB and the Playlist folder, and copied a single .m3u onto the PB that I created myself, putting it in the same directory as all of the artist folders. No dice. Songs still showed up out of order. It's a bug.
    I can't even tell what/why order the pb is playing files. Here's a picture of the current playlist and it is NOT alphabetic, playing and then a listing of the contents of the m3u file. It makes no sense (something in the mp3 possibly). What is also surprising is that the path references don't even make sense, yet it finds and plays the mp3's.

Partial list in order:

file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Auvergne/auvergne01 bailero.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Auvergne/auvergne12 uno jionto postouro.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Cello Suites/Bach Cello Suite #1 G, S 1007 - 1. Prelud- 01.
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/17 - Fantasia - Toccata And Fugue.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/1810 Beethoven Fur Elise.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/1875 Smetana The Moldau.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/Albinoni Adagio.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/Disney - Toccata And Fugue in D Minor Bvw
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/Khachaturian - Sabre Dance.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/Pachelbel - 1698 - Canon In D.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Barber/Barber Adagio.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Beethoven Moonlight Sonata/Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata 1.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Beethoven Piano Concerto 5/Beeth Piano Conc5-2.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Beethoven Symphony No 6/2 Scene by the brook.MP3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Brahms Clarinet Quintet Bm Op115 - Benson King Georgian/Brahms - Clar
    Bm Op115 1.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Brahms Symphony No 4/Brahms Sym4 2Andante moderato.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Dvorak American Quartet/Dvorak American Quartet 06.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Elgar Enigma Variations/Elgar Enigma06.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Fauvre Pavane/Faure Pavane.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Elgar Enigma Variations/Elgar Enigma10.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Glazunov The Seasons/Glazunov Seasons04.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Glazunov The Seasons/Glazunov Seasons06.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Grieg - Peer Gynt Suite1/01 - Morgenstemmning.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Misc/Bizet - Les Pecheures De Perles, Au Fond Du Temple Saint.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Misc/Lakme.mp3

The last two items are the first two in the playlist.
    03-01-12 11:01 AM
    Rather than try to edit:

I probably should add that I probably had not noticed since most of my stuff is Classical and the way I've entered data into the mp3 files probably has a numeric in front.
    03-01-12 11:03 AM
    I'm having the same issue. I've got a dozen playlists with hundreds of songs; all of a sudden after the 2.0 upgrade all the songs are out of order same as the OP.

This is a 2.0 problem, not the Desktop Manager. Syncing my 9900 still works properly.

What a PITA; the whole point of Playlists is to have the music in a certain order. Awesome.
    03-07-12 02:18 PM
    I'm having the same issue. I've got a dozen playlists with hundreds of songs; all of a sudden after the 2.0 upgrade all the songs are out of order same as the OP.

This is a 2.0 problem, not the Desktop Manager. Syncing my 9900 still works properly.

What a PITA; the whole point of Playlists is to have the music in a certain order. Awesome.
    What I don't understand is how RIM did this. It's not like there were any improvements made to the Music Player. And it's not like reading simple .m3u playlist files correctly is some kind of rarefied technological feat you can easily screw up.

Presumably, the problem will be addressed in an upgrade. Until then . . . grrrr. I'm just surprised more people haven't complained about it here. Not a lot of music lovers on CB apparently. Or at least those who make use of playlists.
    03-07-12 03:43 PM
    I don't recall the whole thread - have you reported this to rim? If not, there's no way they will address it.
    03-07-12 07:53 PM
    I can't even tell what/why order the pb is playing files. Here's a picture of the current playlist and it is NOT alphabetic, playing and then a listing of the contents of the m3u file. It makes no sense (something in the mp3 possibly). What is also surprising is that the path references don't even make sense, yet it finds and plays the mp3's.

Partial list in order:

file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Auvergne/auvergne01 bailero.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Auvergne/auvergne12 uno jionto postouro.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Cello Suites/Bach Cello Suite #1 G, S 1007 - 1. Prelud- 01.
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/17 - Fantasia - Toccata And Fugue.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/1810 Beethoven Fur Elise.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/1875 Smetana The Moldau.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/Albinoni Adagio.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/Disney - Toccata And Fugue in D Minor Bvw
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/Khachaturian - Sabre Dance.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Bach/Bach Toccota and Fugue/Pachelbel - 1698 - Canon In D.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Barber/Barber Adagio.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Beethoven Moonlight Sonata/Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata 1.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Beethoven Piano Concerto 5/Beeth Piano Conc5-2.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Beethoven Symphony No 6/2 Scene by the brook.MP3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Brahms Clarinet Quintet Bm Op115 - Benson King Georgian/Brahms - Clar
    Bm Op115 1.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Brahms Symphony No 4/Brahms Sym4 2Andante moderato.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Dvorak American Quartet/Dvorak American Quartet 06.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Elgar Enigma Variations/Elgar Enigma06.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Fauvre Pavane/Faure Pavane.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Elgar Enigma Variations/Elgar Enigma10.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Glazunov The Seasons/Glazunov Seasons04.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Glazunov The Seasons/Glazunov Seasons06.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Grieg - Peer Gynt Suite1/01 - Morgenstemmning.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Misc/Bizet - Les Pecheures De Perles, Au Fond Du Temple Saint.mp3
    file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Misc/Lakme.mp3

The last two items are the first two in the playlist.
    Not a bad playlist for a pizza monger. I must ask, where's the Italian opera???
    03-07-12 08:42 PM
    It may be lurking somewhere - good timing, just about 2 hours ago I renewed for new year - they offered free parking - a premium these days!

How about Bizet - Pearl Fishers. Two great arias. I particularly like Ravel's Piano Concertos. Voice was a late addition to my likes! But there's also some Dylan, Beatles, Houston Kid, Cream and other oldies but goodies.
    03-07-12 10:16 PM
    I don't recall the whole thread - have you reported this to rim? If not, there's no way they will address it.
    No, I haven't. Do you really think they're unaware of this? I ran across it on the day I upgraded to 2.0. I find it hard to believe not a single RIM employee uses Playlists on their PB. In any event, I don't even know where one would go to report this to RIM.
    03-08-12 09:02 AM
    Okay, I just posted over there. I hope you folks don't mind I did not give attribution but did reference the url for this thread

Playlist order is ignored and contents appear to b... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    JasW likes this.
    03-08-12 10:10 AM
    Okay, I just posted over there. I hope you folks don't mind I did not give attribution but did reference the url for this thread

Playlist order is ignored and contents appear to b... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Perhaps it's changed since I last posted there, but my experience has been that it's a "community" support forum -- in other words, just users helping users.

Edit: I take that back, I see there is a RIM "senior product manager" in that particular subforum.
    03-08-12 10:29 AM
    Good news, the sr. product mgr. just reported the following this morning:

"The team has found an issue that seems to have been there since launch, a bug has been logged and they are working on a fix. thanks!"

Still kind of amazed that they didn't know about it already . . . .
    03-09-12 08:32 AM
    Good news, the sr. product mgr. just reported the following this morning:

"The team has found an issue that seems to have been there since launch, a bug has been logged and they are working on a fix. thanks!"

Still kind of amazed that they didn't know about it already . . . .
    Okay, I was quite otherwise occupied this morning and did not go back to their site. I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few bugs that users discover but if they are not reported back to rim, they could remain obscure. Like I said, most of my playlists are classical, and in those cases most have Track or Movement info which may sort it appropriately and I did not notice.

Bottom line, merely discussing issues here/crackberry does not mean it gets to the appropriate Rim channels. I guess once a few of us confirm an issue, someone should run it over there. Of course, there was this one time "OPEN EVENT" which made give/take much immediate which was nice.
    03-09-12 03:39 PM
    Any word on whether RIM in fact fixed this bug with 2.0.1? I won't be able to update until tonight at the earliest.
    04-18-12 12:28 PM
    Great. RIM did Not fix the bug, despite the assurances of the product manager a month and a half ago. So what -- I'm supposed to wait and just hope it will be fixed in the next update, whenever that may be?

I purposefully bought a 64 GB Playbook instead of a 16 GB just so I could fit more music on. I use Playlists almost exclusively. That RIM can't even get a simple thing such as an m3u playlist right is emblematic of the sorry state of this company.
    04-18-12 05:26 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD