06-08-12 12:03 PM
60 123
tools
    I really wish RIM would make some sort of an announcement officially - the speculation on twitter is that next week, it will be the 32 gig; and then the 64 gig. And we all know what happens to speculation on twitter - it eventually makes it way to the media as fact and soon, we will be hearing stories that the entire Playbook line has been discontinued.

RIM should be a little more proactive, now that this email is out there, and state emphatically what they are doing.
    Good point. And unless they resume the assembly of "original model pb's" based on reports that they did stop quite a while ago, they will run out of these units. Maybe the 4g or whatever's will be in production if they come close to running out of saleable units.
    06-07-12 09:08 AM
    As long as the 16GiB PlayBook continues to receive software updates, I'm fine with it...
    06-07-12 10:00 AM
    Well, this appears to be official, but it does not make any sense.. why 16GB?
    06-07-12 11:34 AM
    As long as the 16GiB PlayBook continues to receive software updates, I'm fine with it...
    Same here. Thats my main concern.
    06-07-12 11:46 AM
    "..$299 is really good deal. "
    msrp !

whenever i pop into a local FS and see their price point on a "open box" unit ex. 32gb $195 vs new unopened $199 !! LOL

btw this same outlet has like at least 10units (new/unopened/factory fresh), 16s, 6 -32s, and still 2-64s (i have dibs on one of these 64s as soon as the gift cards arrive ) !
    06-07-12 01:10 PM
    If anyone in toronto wants a 32gb i am selling mine (got the 64). it is in MINT condition with a Ghost Armor screen protector and BRAND NEW IN BOX convertible case and hdmi wire.
    06-07-12 02:55 PM
    Here's a link to an article by the "Toronto" Globe and Mail: RIM's Junks low-end 16 GB Playbook.

RIM junks low-end 16 GB Playbook - The Globe and Mail

Apparently, the word "discontinues" wasn't good enough for this journalist
    06-07-12 04:28 PM
    I have plenty of space on my 16g PB. Although I use it about 3 times a month for a total of 15 minutes.
    06-07-12 04:53 PM
    this decision imo is purely economical and should have no bearing on the PlayBook's future...

some probably already know (and if you didn't, you will in a moment ) that the only difference between the 16, 32 and 64 MB models is the size of the micro SD card inside !

Now go to Amazon or any other online volume retailer - one can buy the 16 MB micro SD card for as little as $3-5 and the 32 MB card for only a dollar or so more...yet, the difference in price between the 16MB and the 32 MB units runs at about $100.

That's the whole secret - higher margin of profit on a 32MB unit - in the face of deep, market-drivven discounts for a 16MB unit.

In my play book (pun intended) it is no biggie b/c I regularly use cloud service and generally clean my PB's memory - any junk or a bulky media are removed.
    06-08-12 07:41 AM
    this decision imo is purely economical and should have no bearing on the PlayBook's future...

some probably already know (and if you didn't, you will in a moment ) that the only difference between the 16, 32 and 64 MB models is the size of the micro SD card inside !

Now go to Amazon or any other online volume retailer - one can buy the 16 MB micro SD card for as little as $3-5 and the 32 MB card for only a dollar or so more...yet, the difference in price between the 16MB and the 32 MB units runs at about $100.

That's the whole secret - higher margin of profit on a 32MB unit - in the face of deep, market-drivven discounts for a 16MB unit.

In my play book (pun intended) it is no biggie b/c I regularly use cloud service and generally clean my PB's memory - any junk or a bulky media are removed.
    I think you meant GigaBytes, not MegaBytes. Lol
    shung likes this.
    06-08-12 12:03 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD