Update: OS 2.0 doesn't seem to be able to handle much with the current 1GB memory bottleneck. Could all our PlayBooks actually be replaced with the OS 2.0?

Hi,

I've been reading about the development of OS 2.0 on the PlayBook, and realized that there are telltale signs that the 16GB is not worth having:

1. Telus has reportedly discontinued their 16GB stock. This could mean that they do not see the 16GB being "sellable" into the near future.
    LINK

2. A CrackBerry member has given his opinion that the 32GB is the minimum for OS 2.0 when it comes out in the forums, and another individual (Pollo714) had suggested this concern in today's demonstration of the Ice Cream Sandwich OS on the PlayBook.
    LINK 1
    LINK 2

3. Prices dropping rapidly these past few months may indicate a shift of the minimum hardware-price point according to RIM and the market. Sources: Firesales in Canada, US (Staples), recently in the UK.

4. The PlayBook has no expansion slot. It may be not too early to consider 16GB is last year's news. It is reasonable to assume that the next iPad and tablets will be coming out with 32GB.

EDIT: With the delay of the OS 2.0 until February, this is going to buy Apple and Android time to move up a notch with 32GB as being the standard size.

5. From DevCon, attendees (mainly developers probably) received a 16GB. RIM hasn't done this in the past (am I correct?), and can afford to dish out these PlayBooks since they will only be used by developers whose top priorities do not include capacity as consumers do. If my conjectures are true, diluting the market with 16GB to cause a drop in the 16GB's value is the least of RIM's worries since they will be useless for the future once OS 2.0 comes out.

6. They are trying out to clear out their inventory and should clear out their inventory as this seems to be a problem indicated in a recent WSJ article.

I'm freaking out because I just recently purchased a 16GB. If it's going to turn out to be useless with minimal flexibility once USB 2.0, waiting for the USB 2.0 is irrelevant unless I get a 32GB. If so, I need to return my PB right away before the return period ends!

This is just a hunch. I appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by rcheung135; 10-27-11 at 10:02 AM.
    10-24-11 03:49 PM
    If you are that nervous about it, then by all means you should return that little puppy and get a bigger dog!
    10-24-11 04:11 PM
    I'm on 16 gigs. Mainly because i couldnt afford more.

But i am up with 6 gigs left after having a few apps.

if i need space I can always delete apps. lol
    10-24-11 04:14 PM
    I'm on 16 gigs. Mainly because i couldnt afford more.

But i am up with 6 gigs left after having a few apps.

if i need space I can always delete apps. lol
    So did I. My worry is that we do not know how much space developers will require, and how the OS 2.0 release will use system resources. For instance, if it is necessary to keep QNX and the Android player, there are resources needed to use the Android player.

There just doesn't seem any downsides for RIM to move on from the 16GB. RIM seems to be trying to get rid of them, and forcing consumers to purchase 32GB while saying "We are sorry, but there's nothing we can do to accommodate you with your 16GB PlayBook because it's obsolete." is all in RIM's favour.

My hunch is, 16GB will become irrelevant once OS 2.0 is implemented in most PlayBooks.
    10-24-11 04:26 PM
    Well, aside from the free (with FULL paid registration) ones handed out at DevCon (BTW, Apple did the same thing with iPads) and a few retailers selling in-store stock, most all of the sales (ie, Staples, Walmart, Office Depot, etc) have been for ALL models, 16gb, 32gb and 64gb models all being offered at $200 off (or more) the list price in the US and Canada. Only small carrier has announced ending the 16gb model. Seriously, if I could take my 16gb PB back and get the same deal (amount off) for a 32gb or even 64gb model, then it would be a no brainer, I would do it immediately.
    10-24-11 04:35 PM
    My hunch is, 16GB will become irrelevant once OS 2.0 is implemented in most PlayBooks.
    I think you're reading way too much into minor coincidences. Correlation does not imply causation and all that. Also you can't deduce master plans from RIM's public actions, which for the most part appear to be random.

The only thing 2.0 is going to do about memory is force us to all want 2GB of RAM, if the Android player is prelaunched as it appears to be now.

I don't see 16GB becoming obsolete any time soon other than as the steady march of technology makes it so cheap to produce 32GB parts instead, that they simply drop the 16GB as pointless, and shift everything up a notch. That will happen anyway, probably next year, but I don't see 2.0 being in any way a cause of that.
    Thebigo3d likes this.
    10-24-11 04:54 PM
    Considering that the 16GB is going to be obselete, should I consider returning the 16GB now and getting the 32GB later?
    10-26-11 12:04 AM
    Well, aside from the free (with FULL paid registration) ones handed out at DevCon (BTW, Apple did the same thing with iPads) and a few retailers selling in-store stock, most all of the sales (ie, Staples, Walmart, Office Depot, etc) have been for ALL models, 16gb, 32gb and 64gb models all being offered at $200 off (or more) the list price in the US and Canada. Only small carrier has announced ending the 16gb model. Seriously, if I could take my 16gb PB back and get the same deal (amount off) for a 32gb or even 64gb model, then it would be a no brainer, I would do it immediately.
    TELUS is no small carrier....
    10-26-11 01:58 AM
    TELUS is no small carrier....
    Yes they are actually, the canadian market isn't actually big enough for any of them to be considered big carriers and none of them are part of a global carrier group.
    10-26-11 05:19 AM
    gee i hope this isnt the case.but for someone like me who isnt into apps and all i want to do is browse the net im sure 16gb will be plenty cos thats all i got.
    10-26-11 05:31 AM
    The only thing 2.0 is going to do about memory is force us to all want 2GB of RAM, if the Android player is prelaunched as it appears to be now.

I don't see 16GB becoming obsolete any time soon other than as the steady march of technology makes it so cheap to produce 32GB parts instead, that they simply drop the 16GB as pointless, and shift everything up a notch. That will happen anyway, probably next year, but I don't see 2.0 being in any way a cause of that.
    I think you are worrying a bit too much about the amount of memory, but your point about 16GB is true, even if os 2.0 used an extra couple of gig for the new features (very unlikely it would be anywhere near that much) they would still work perfectly fine and when they phase them out it would be due to the smaller size not making enough of a pricegap to be worth doing.
    10-26-11 05:37 AM
    I purchased my PB for under $250 + tax, which was very affordable for me. The reason why I ask is because the 16GB seems to be obselete very soon, and if there is no future that RIM sees in continuing to support the 16GB, I should return it in the next few days.
    10-26-11 07:00 AM
    Why would RIM not support the16g if they are still supporting the 32 and 64?
    10-26-11 07:14 AM
    My concern is how many Gigs will the mythical OS 2.0 actually be?

How large was the beta developer release? Is there any way to extrapolate from there how big the actual OS would end up being with all the bell and whistles we are asking for? I know nothing about developing, and know basically nothing about what sizes this QNX stuff runs. I know the OS on the current PB is less than half a gig, right?

Later,
    B.
    10-26-11 09:35 AM
    Why would RIM not support the16g if they are still supporting the 32 and 64?
    Read my original post.
    10-26-11 09:56 AM
    I think you are worrying a bit too much about the amount of memory...
    I think we're all not worrying enough!

With 1.0.7 I can and often do run about 7-8 apps simultaneously, including the browser.

Under the 2.0 beta, I can barely run three apps, including the browser, before something is forced to exit because of low memory.

It may simply be debugging code that they've re-enabled in the beta (similar to how the OS suddenly released about 200MB of RAM back around 1.0.5, after launch). If that's so, no big deal.

If it's not merely debugging code that will be removed, the inability to run more than a couple of apps with the browser would largely eliminate the value this tablet has for me.
    10-27-11 08:10 AM
    I think we're all not worrying enough!

With 1.0.7 I can and often do run about 7-8 apps simultaneously, including the browser.

Under the 2.0 beta, I can barely run three apps, including the browser, before something is forced to exit because of low memory.

It may simply be debugging code that they've re-enabled in the beta (similar to how the OS suddenly released about 200MB of RAM back around 1.0.5, after launch). If that's so, no big deal.

If it's not merely debugging code that will be removed, the inability to run more than a couple of apps with the browser would largely eliminate the value this tablet has for me.
    If that's the case, wouldn't the 16, 32 and 64GB all be in the same boat?
    10-27-11 08:19 AM
    If that's the case, wouldn't the 16, 32 and 64GB all be in the same boat?
    corrent since the issue would be the 1 GB of RAM
    10-27-11 09:42 AM
    corrent since the issue would be the 1 GB of RAM
    This would only mean that all our PB will probably be obsolete, and a new configuration of a PB will be coming out to support the OS2. Perhaps it's time to get rid of our PBs...
    10-27-11 09:55 AM
    There is no indication that RIM is working on Playbook 2 or whatever. But its pretty safe to assume that in 1 year's time any electronic hardware is obsolete or at the very least no longer cutting edge.

Its really a matter of what works for you. If its meeting ur needs and you are happy with it, don't worry about the future. Enjoy the Playbook now and when u deem its appropriate to upgrade then do so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-11 10:12 AM
    The amount of storage needed depends on your use of the device.
    Some people store HD movies and lot of music. So, they need the 64GB.
    Others use it to browse Internet and have some apps. For them 16GB will be enough.

I don't think OS 2.0 will eat too much of your storage.
    In addition, I'm sure that the final 2.0 will run on the existing devices w/o any performance issues.
    10-27-11 10:29 AM
    its not about storage its about RAM
    10-27-11 10:43 AM
    This question was asked in Beta Zone and the powers that be (John) gave assurances that the 16G would be fine when OS2 is officially released in February. I have a 64G and only have 1GB of RAM as well. So if you're screwed, so am I.

10-27-11 10:44 AM
    This question was asked in Beta Zone and the powers that be (John) gave assurances that the 16G would be fine when OS2 is officially released in February. I have a 64G and only have 1GB of RAM as well. So if you're screwed, so am I.

That's reassuring

I have a friend who's selling hers to me for $320 32GB, although it's used. I'm kind of split on whether I should jump on the 32.

Apparently it's not hard to take it apart. I wonder if the memory is welded on the mobo... otherwise I wouldn't mind expanding the memory.

Last edited by rcheung135; 10-27-11 at 08:37 PM.
    10-27-11 08:30 PM
    The term used in manufacturing is "soldered" and no it is not interchangeable (not impossible, but requires precision machinery).
    As you can see in the vid, the storage is a 1pc Sandisk 16G nand flash BGA (ball grid array) component which cannot be normally removed/installed by hand!
    rcheung135 likes this.
    10-27-11 08:58 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD