Going to order a Playbook at some point today. Should I go for the 16GB or 32GB model? There's a �40 difference in price, and I'm not sure if there's much need for the extra 16GB?

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Diabhal
    05-15-12 07:46 AM
    I have a 64GB but have read many laments in here from people who have purchased the 16GB thinking they wouldn't have a problem, but then saw all the cool things (movies, games, books etc) they could do with their pb and regretted not buying the 32 or 64. It really boils down to your preferences & what you'll do with it. And remember that you won't get the full 16GB to play with. Part of it will be taken up by the OS. I went for the most memory I could get. Again, it really boils down to you.
    cjcou likes this.
    05-15-12 07:54 AM
    If you think there's any chance you'll take videos with the PlayBook (and as the quality is superb, you may well do so), then go for the 32GB.

Also as Chrysalis1156 notes, with the 16GB you get only about 11GB to start with. Going to the 32GB you get a full extra 16GB of space, so factor that into whatever cost/benefit decision you're making.
    jafobabe, Harryl6134 and cjcou like this.
    05-15-12 07:57 AM
    Neither. I highly recommend a 64GB. 64GB really should have been the minimum size all along. The Playbook has audiophile hardware and plays music superbly. The sound quality with high-end IEMs is magnificent. So if you want to store music on your PB, you will need to reserve enough space for it. It also, as Peter says, plays videos superbly and you'll need enough space for those. A lot of the high-profile games are 200MB to 600MB in size and they do add up to space hogging effect. With my 16GB, having not one single video on it but only 3GB of music, It didn't have enough space for my paid large-filesize games. I had to limit the large apps so I would have sufficient room to install future new apps.

You might get by with 32GB version, but I'll never recommend anything smaller than 64GB. I finally sold my 16GB PB and bought a 64GB PB and have been grateful since.
    cjcou likes this.
    05-15-12 08:14 AM
    I bought a 16, then a 64 for myself and gave the 16 to my wife. Soon, I got her a 32 and sold the 16. Why? I need the space and I wish she had a 64 too. She likes taking video of the grandson but I can keep it cleaned out and backed up to the desktop for her.

At the very least a 32GB. When we get USB access that will be nice...but still. With a 64GB you can put 32GB of your media in it and still have 32GB-OS & apps=a little room to play with.

For sure, you'll regret a 16GB.
    Marty_LK and cjcou like this.
    05-15-12 08:37 AM
    I planned on reading books and study material videos, movies and music..
    And I knew there is no guarantee that RIM will activate OSB OTG nor that PB OS will remain rooted so..
    And India doesn't really have wifi all over to rely on online file storage/cloud services..
    So better prepared than sorry.. So got the 32GB..
    peter9477 and cjcou like this.
    05-15-12 08:48 AM
    I stretched for the 32GB, a good middle ground in terms of capacity and price.

I purchased it along with my first Blackberry phone, hence why I can't afford to stretch to the 64GB. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!
    05-15-12 08:56 AM
    I personally have been doing okay with just the 16 GB. I've had my PB for about 5 months and have 4 GB storage left. I snap the occasional picture and video, but, as mentioned above, shooting 1080p video and loading HD movies to your device can take up space quickly.

If you want to use your PB as a portable media device, I would strongly recommend higher storage capacity.
    05-15-12 08:56 AM
    About 80% of people are going to tell you to get a 64 from what I've seen. I load HD games on mine, load 8-10 movies/TV shows at a time, use plenty of apps, and usually have around 3GB worth of ebooks at any given time, and I've never had any issues. I have a 16GB! Where I see people running into problems are those who want to load all of their music. I prefer my music phone-sized, so I don't. Sure you can fill up a 64GB. You can also fill up 500 GB pretty easy too. Been there done that.
    05-15-12 09:27 AM
    With so much online storage out there, SAVE your money. Get a 16GB because you'll always have access to what you store online. I never understood why folks go for the bigger size. I mean really I have 140+ apps on my playbook. A few recorded vids and a few pics. But really there's no point unless you plan to load nearly every app from appworld. Just my 2 cents.
    05-15-12 09:43 AM
    I would get the 32gb.

Not too low, not too much. Its just right.
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-15-12 09:43 AM
    Enjoy your new PB! I decided to go the middle route and got the 32 GB. Total available storage at birth was 29.6 GB; I now have around 120 apps and 8 movies, and have 18.2 GB free. The movies will be removed once I view them, and I'll probably load some music and photos as keepers, but the 32 seems more than enough for me.
    05-15-12 09:53 AM
    and wishing you had gone for the V6 or V8? You will. Trust me.

Get the 64gb version. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT AT ALL.

See above postings, a few movies, your CD collection, and the images/movies you can/will take, and you will be glad you went for "The Big Labowski" for lack of a better phrase.

C
    05-15-12 10:12 AM
    32 gig is a "must" and 64 gig if you must have the entire Star Trak Collection in video on the Device Tablet for thenecessity of replay to prove your argument true vs your buddy when only hard video evidence will settle what color was the Captain's formal Star Fleet uniform is Episode 94.....

(3) three 32gig BB PB's since USA product launch and never ever gave any thought to Apple product from the very beginning.....
    05-15-12 10:17 AM
    32gb. space goes fast and there is no sd card slot.

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    05-15-12 10:25 AM
    [EDIT] - Double posted by mistake.. Sorry
    Last edited by GreyGhostRos; 05-15-12 at 12:36 PM.
    05-15-12 11:40 AM

I purchased it along with my first Blackberry phone, hence why I can't afford to stretch to the 64GB. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!
    Welcome to the Playbook users club and Crackberry
    Hope it gets delivered to you soon so you can enjoy it

I'm waiting for the day when hopefully RIM adds FTP profile to the bluetooth.. then onslaught of photos from friends .. And i will be very happy with myself on having gotten my 32GB.. Not that i'm unhappy now anyway :P
    05-15-12 11:42 AM
    I started off with a 16 which was stolen, I was never happy with the small space which fills up quite quickly. I have a 64 now which I recommend, but you could get by with 32 if you're not a media junky!
    05-15-12 12:30 PM
    Wish I'd asked this question to begin with. Not knowing what I was getting in to (let's face it, the PlayBook has had mixed reviews) and already having another tablet I had low expectations and opted for the cheaper 16gb version. Genuinely regretting it now as I love this device, it's community and think it's got a secure future and longevity with blackberry10 on the horizon. Don't sell yourself short as you will find yourself filling it with media. I could have doubled my space for �30 - kicking myself now.

Hope that helps.

Si
    Hawnz likes this.
    05-15-12 01:52 PM
    Got a 16G myself, but then I don't watch movies on it.
    05-15-12 02:18 PM

welcome to the community!
    05-15-12 04:03 PM
    for 50 bucks more id just go for the 32, but then for another 50 id rather just go for the 64 lol
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-15-12 09:31 PM
    I'm glad I paid the extra to get the 32, and I paid $100 extra at the time. If I had got the 16, I would be constantly deleting stuff to fit more stuff on it.
    05-15-12 10:31 PM
    I have the 32gb and I must say that in my opinion its the minimum that I would be happy with. Glad you went with the 32. you won't regret it.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 05-15-12 at 10:39 PM.
    05-15-12 10:37 PM
    Still with the 32gig after 1.5 years and still have space on it for more stuff, pictures, video, movies, apps, etc......16gig is just too minimalistic so move up!
    11-12-12 08:20 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD