Hey all, anyone have some insight as to how much storage one would really need? Don't want to pay for 64 or 32, if I'd never need it. What does everyone think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-11 11:57 PM
    Unless you plan on loading up on games/music/video/media in general, I'd imagine 16GN would suffice just fine. That being said, if you think there's even a chance you may dabble with media in the future, I'd go up to a 32GB... it's only $100 more, and it saves you potential heartache in the future. There's not a huge necessity for storage if you're planning on using it primarily for browsing and lightweight apps. Plus, may as well save money where possible!
    03-24-11 12:01 AM
    What are you planing on putting on it? If you're gonna be only using to surf the web, and email, then 16 should be fine. If movies, apps and music are your thing, then you'll want at least a 32.
    03-24-11 01:34 AM
    My thought process has always been to buy as much as you can afford. Spend the money on the items you cannot upgrade.

So if you can afford the 64gb WiFi/3g then buy it. Unless you are not 100% sure you are going to be happy or are the type of person who will look to replace it when generation 2 is released.

Personally I would go with the 16gb WiFi version. I don't see myself watching a lot of movies and I don't have 1000's of pictures. For me it will be a device to surf the internet, do email and other applications. Keep in mind Playbook has a USB I/O so you can always move movies back and forth.

just my opinion.
    03-24-11 06:31 AM

Personally I would go with the 16gb WiFi version. I don't see myself watching a lot of movies and I don't have 1000's of pictures. For me it will be a device to surf the internet, do email and other applications. Keep in mind Playbook has a USB I/O so you can always move movies back and forth.

just my opinion.

Same here! This is supposed to be a mobile device and there's no need for me to load up all the movies/photos/music i have just because i can. In all truth i don't even look at all the pics or listen to all the music i have. I've seen my movies over and over that i don't even think about them.

Similarly, i believe some things are made of defenite purposes...an mp3 player for music for instance. I see people listening to music on their ipads just because they can and it's just too silly in the senseless way. An ipod that's 10 inches big!
    03-24-11 08:31 AM
    Thanks guys! You've reinforced what I've been thinking. I can afford the 64gb WI-FI / 4G, but see no reason to waste money.

Do we know if the playbook can access the sd card on our blackberry for media yet? If so, the additional 16gb many of us have will be any easy way to scale. I thought I wanted to wait for the 4G version, but both waiting 3 months and having another carrier contract don't excite me . The main reason I wanted 4G was to have voice/data at the same time, but eventually an LTE BB will be out to tether with . I guess I'm leaning toward 16 GB WI-FI.

Btw, the "Column" (zoom) feature on this new leak for the 9650 is much better for crackberry.

Good luck on everyone's purchase.

03-25-11 01:06 AM
    I thought I wanted to wait for the 4G
    version, but both waiting 3 months and
    having another carrier contract don't
    excite me :-)
    Something tells me, too, its going to be longer than they tell us it will be.

Can't imagine why I'm skeptical with rim's forecasts. :/

04-02-11 05:46 AM
    with the announcements made in the past 3 days, i think its safe to say that a 16gb model is nice, since you can access your file system on your blackberry (its not been clarified but im pretty sure you can access your SDcard on your BB). So you can store the music, pictures and videos there, and leave the PB's onboard memory to apps on HD video
    04-02-11 11:14 AM
    Same here! This is supposed to be a mobile device and there's no need for me to load up all the movies/photos/music i have just because i can.
    That is specifically the reason I opted for the 64.

Tired of dragging around laptops, external drives, cd's, dvds, portable players, gps devices, cameras, game boys, ds, etc.

I want that true maybe do-all mobile device.

Whether I'm going to the lake, a road trip, flying somewhere and just sitting around, why not have a device does it all and can carry it all. No need to change or delete items to free up space. No limitations. As great as it is that I can access my bb's mass storage, what if I don't want to or can't.

Why not take your music and pictures with you. Or a few movies. Maybe even home movies. Be able to take full advantage of the hd video camera without being limited by available space. Remember also, the pb plugs into anything with a hdmi or 1/8 jack. TVs, blasters, some car decks. It can be your portable media server. It has gps. Will Garmin make some maps for it. You could probably load the planet on it. How many apps do you want/need? Couple games maybe?

What's in my playbook's future? Don't know. But it'll be a 64Gb.
    04-02-11 12:12 PM
    I went with (that is, pre-ordered) the 64GB version, because I don't want to worry about memory. If it had an SD slot I would have gone with the 16GB. I have over 20GB of music and that instantly eliminates the 16GB version and leaves maybe 9GB on the 32GB, so the 64GB is the better choice for me, especially when I load up pictures and videos.
    04-02-11 12:14 PM
    If it is true that I can access the files on the SD card in my phone....then that would scale back my needs too.
    I think I would go for the 32gb model.
    Of course transferring files is still limited by bluetooth speed of the bridge.
    04-02-11 12:15 PM
    I pre-ordered the 16 GB version. I plan to use this device strictly for web/e-mail. I figure if in the future I want more storage, I'll just wait for the "Playbook 2" and trade up at that point.
    04-02-11 02:07 PM
    I'm buying the 64 GB version but I built an app so am going to get a 16 GB version as well. I'll give one to my better half - guess which? :-)
    04-02-11 05:11 PM
    16 gigs is enough for me. I'm gonna have this thing tehthered fir web use.

04-02-11 05:48 PM
    16gb seems like the best value. next would be the 64gb model

$100 for 16gb more = $6.25/gb
    $200 for 48gb more = $4.17/gb

32 gb seems like the most practical amount of memory to have, but is the worst value.
    04-02-11 06:05 PM
    I chose the 64 Gig. My reasoning was a concern that the apps/programs will be a little bloated compared to what we're used to seeing on our phones. This OS being more powerful; my guess is that developers will be trying to add that little extra that makes their apps stand out...

Later,
    B.
    04-02-11 06:16 PM
    An interesting graphic from this story (eBay reveals its iPad 2 sales data | Apple - CNET News) - note the bottom right corner, which reveals the distribution of sizes/models. The biggest group is the most basic (16gb WiFi), and the second biggest is the most advanced (62gb 3G) - interesting!

04-02-11 08:04 PM
    I chose the 32gig. I couldn't see having less memory in my PB than I have on my BB (I have a 32gig mSd card).

I didn't want to buy the 64 because I figured I'd be upgrading again (like I do my BB) soon enough.
    04-02-11 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD