A major manufacturer can't afford to turn the lights on at the plant they make them for 130k units a year. That is REALLY bad. The only good thing about it is that it's not like a car. If your Playbook exploded you were gonna replace it anyway, you don't need spare parts like if your car broke down. This means you'd just buy the latest and greatest thing on the market at the time. It's sad for RIM, but it still works out for the consumer either way..... You have nothing to lose by them stopping production. 2 years from now it'll be obsolete anyway.
    Was that a year or a quarter?
    09-29-12 08:42 PM
    Typo, good catch. When you look at what everyone else is selling it's really a scary number, but like I say it won't matter to the consumer who already has their playbook. Future users might not get a chance to have one if they don't pick it up a bit though.
    09-29-12 08:44 PM
    I bought 2 of these playbooks, my cousin's gf bought one (almost bought an ipad but now she's really loving the playbook), my brother-in-law who I thought would never buy a tablet bought one, my work colleague who is an Apple guy bought two after his wife saw a playbook in action and made him get the first (bought the second one since he couldn't pass it up for the price), and a few other friend's and family totalling 10.

I'm not too concerned about about the 130K figure last quarter but more so interested in the total quantity of playbook users out there? Have they hit 2 million yet .. does anyone know the total number out there now in the wild?
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 09-29-12 at 09:09 PM.
    09-29-12 09:06 PM
    There has to be at least 2 million doesn't there?
    09-29-12 09:08 PM
    is it fair to say basically RIM has cleared out all/almost all WIFI playbook stocks?
    09-29-12 09:13 PM
    They have only shipped 1.74 million total thru the beginning of Sept 2012. So there might be around 1.5 million active users, maybe a little less.
    09-29-12 09:20 PM
    They have only shipped 1.74 million total thru the beginning of Sept 2012. So there might be around 1.5 million active users, maybe a little less.
    Do you know how many were made? Dang they stopped making them a long time ago.
    09-29-12 09:21 PM
    it was reported the initial run was 1.5 millions and i dont think anything has been indicated since. Obviously they made more than the 1.5 million. They made the 4g version also and they did not indicated how many of those have been sold yet. There are alot of answers I think only RIM can tell us and since they arent the news isnt really good or it doesnt need to be out for public knowledge. If they sold 100K of the LTE playbooks they surely would have mentioned it but we can pretty well bet they sold very very few of those so far.
    09-29-12 09:27 PM
    Thanks. I agree on the 4G one, isn't it only available in Canada so far?
    09-29-12 09:32 PM
    I think so but dont know 100% for sure
    09-29-12 09:45 PM
    Kinda sad...HP reportedly sold over a million touchpads in the firesale, and the touchpad was total crap.
    I've seen those total crap fire sale touchpads selling for more than a PlayBook recently.
    I bought over 30 (mostly on ebay), and have given them out to friends, family, and coworkers. Most love it.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android
    hmm, I only bought 5, but only have 2 left.

Oh great.... Now a few thousand more new Crackberrians to:

Ask where's Skype and Netflix...

Complain about not enough "free" apps.....

Ask how to get Google Play on the PB....

Speculate on the release date of 2.1....

Oh well...
    how do you get Google Play on the PB anyway?
    09-29-12 09:51 PM
    Thanks. I agree on the 4G one, isn't it only available in Canada so far?
    Yes, only in Canada ("Pity", one might say if one is of a certain age and spent way too much time watching TV).

I've been really, really tempted to do the 4G (perversely, Bell has awesome LTE coverage in my tiny little northern town). Especially interested in seeing how much of a performance difference there might be.
    09-29-12 09:54 PM
    Kinda sad...HP reportedly sold over a million touchpads in the firesale, and the touchpad was total crap.
    Total crap? Sounds like you weren't able to get one last year. At $99 last summer, it was the best purchase i've ever made. I'm incredibly happy with it, was OK with WebOS, though I did switch to android when it came available (currently running CM9).

Granted I never would have paid the original asking price. $99 for it last summer was an immediate purchase.

Key words though is "last summer". There wasn't any competion at the time for inexpensive tablets other then Chinese offbrand Walmart specials (which do make the term total crap look good). Now at the cheap end there's the Kindle Fire and Nexus. Firesale pricing (today) needs to drop to more like $59-$79 before the same run as the Touchpad occurs.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-29-12 10:07 PM
    Yes, only in Canada ("Pity", one might say if one is of a certain age and spent way too much time watching TV).

I've been really, really tempted to do the 4G (perversely, Bell has awesome LTE coverage in my tiny little northern town). Especially interested in seeing how much of a performance difference there might be.
    Was it Red Rose?
    09-29-12 10:19 PM
    Total crap? Sounds like you weren't able to get one last year. At $99 last summer, it was the best purchase i've ever made. I'm incredibly happy with it, was OK with WebOS, though I did switch to android when it came available (currently running CM9).

Granted I never would have paid the original asking price. $99 for it last summer was an immediate purchase.

Key words though is "last summer". There wasn't any competion at the time for inexpensive tablets other then Chinese offbrand Walmart specials (which do make the term total crap look good). Now at the cheap end there's the Kindle Fire and Nexus. Firesale pricing (today) needs to drop to more like $59-$79 before the same run as the Touchpad occurs.
    I did grab one of the 32gb models @ $149 last fall. IMO it was just a terribly slow. It was about as useful as a Playbook is to me, but at least the PB is a bit quicker and has some more modern apps on it.
    09-29-12 11:06 PM
    When their selling for dirt cheap of course more people are going to buy them. Give us the numbers when they were selling for 600 dollars.
    09-29-12 11:29 PM
    Gosh could it be that the third quarter is almost over and we are kicking around second quarter results? Wasn't the second quarter April through June? I guess with a world wide operation it might take RIM a couple of months to get results from some of the outposts. I'm confused.
    09-30-12 01:09 AM
    I bought over 30 (mostly on ebay), and have given them out to friends, family, and coworkers. Most love it.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android

30 ?????? wow can I be your friend ?

Oh great.... Now a few thousand more new Crackberrians to:

Ask where's Skype and Netflix...

Complain about not enough "free" apps.....

Ask how to get Google Play on the PB....

Speculate on the release date of 2.1....

Oh well...
    99% users do not sit on forums.

There has to be at least 2 million doesn't there?
    I could imagine more pb have been sold to date

Tablet business is a tough one. When PB was released there were no $199 or $149 tablets. not even $249 ones. Now Google is supposedly working on new Nexus that will sell for.......$99.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    09-30-12 04:55 AM
    I could imagine more pb have been sold to date

Tablet business is a tough one. When PB was released there were no $199 or $149 tablets. not even $249 ones. Now Google is supposedly working on new Nexus that will sell for.......$99.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    Why don't they just give them away LOL. Have to wonder what this $99 tablet will be like. Google going to compete with the crap Chinese knock offs?
    09-30-12 05:43 AM
    Why don't they just give them away LOL. Have to wonder what this $99 tablet will be like. Google going to compete with the crap Chinese knock offs?
    google is after apple. 1 Billion dollar fine on Samsung is just the prelude to all out war between Apple and Google. Thermonuclear war is about to begin.
    09-30-12 11:16 AM
    I'm thinking I may get a couple for presents.
    I'm going to buy 3 as gifts. Good value for the 32 gb.
    09-30-12 12:47 PM
    Gosh could it be that the third quarter is almost over and we are kicking around second quarter results? Wasn't the second quarter April through June? I guess with a world wide operation it might take RIM a couple of months to get results from some of the outposts. I'm confused.
    RIM's fiscal year is not the calendar year, and their second quarter went from June 3 to September 1 this year. It shifts back or forth a few days every quarter, presumably to align with the end of a week, though I've never bothered checking a calendar to confirm that.

See Research In Motion - Investor Events for more.
    esk369 and Elite1 like this.
    09-30-12 12:59 PM
    Thanks for helping unconfuse me as if that is possible. When predictions of hardware and software availability are made I assume calendar year quarters are being referred to. If the data includes playbooks shipped until September 1. It does then reflect to some extent the effect of price reductions in the US, UK and Canada. True the largest retailer price drops have been in the middle of September but inventory had to be on hand. Without much more info on BB logistics and retailer inventory fluctuations it would be hard to analyze. I guess we'll find out more in three months.
    09-30-12 02:40 PM
    They are trying to get back some money from the sale of them to the stores, although at a 100 dollar a pop they basically are giving them away lol
    09-30-12 04:00 PM
    They are trying to get back some money from the sale of them to the stores, although at a 100 dollar a pop they basically are giving them away lol
    I've wondered about the demographic buying lower-priced tablets. I don't think it's indicative of disposable income.
    Where I'm going with this is that the people buying lower-priced tablets can afford more, meaning they can afford to buy apps.

Has RIM ever released any $ per PB info on paid apps? Or totals even? (I don't think so, but maybe someone knows otherwise.)
    I have to assume there's some economic sense to this trend, aside from clearing out stock that's not moving.
    09-30-12 04:54 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD