When I record in 1080p, i get about a 3 - 5 second freeze during recording at about the 6 second mark. Doesn't happen in 720, and also only happens the first video....if i take 2 or 3 videos in sequence, the freeze only happens on the first one.
    08-16-11 12:05 PM
    When I record in 1080p, i get about a 3 - 5 second freeze during recording at about the 6 second mark. Doesn't happen in 720, and also only happens the first video....if i take 2 or 3 videos in sequence, the freeze only happens on the first one.
    Haven't had this problem - is your memory getting full, or was it full at one time? Perhaps it is having trouble finding free contiguous space for storage.
    08-16-11 12:23 PM
    Loads of memory available.
    08-16-11 12:42 PM
    I've never tried recording in 1080p as I don't have a tv to view them on or computer. Maybe wait a little before you start recording?
    08-16-11 12:58 PM
    Restart the PB and try again.
    08-16-11 01:10 PM
    I have this with 1080P and 720P. Might happen more with 1080P but I've stopped using it almost entirely so it's hard to say.

It's not always at 6s either, or at any one place, for me. I do think it's very often around 13s (coincidence that that's about twice 6s, at half the resolution?), but I've also seen it much later in a video and, I believe, even more than once during a video.

Does anyone know if it's been reported to RIM clearly, and acknowledged as an issue? It is a pretty serious one, when it comes down to it, since it makes very imperfect a feature that would otherwise be an absolutely killer feature for the PlayBook.

I mean, it's darn good for home movies, but there's no way I could recommend this to anyone for more serious video work as long as this occurs.
    pelletizer likes this.
    08-16-11 01:18 PM
    I have also noticed this in 1080p (have not noticed in 720). It is odd because when I playback, it does not always freeze in the same spot. Sometimes it even seems to be in slow motion. The audio is always constant though with no freeze??

Also: I have restarted and powered down with no change in performance.
    08-16-11 01:22 PM
    @cinder0008, I'm surprised about your "does not always freeze in the same spot". In my tests so far, when I notice it freezing while recording, it always freezes during playback in the same spot. In fact, when I transfer the video to the PC, or Youtube, it always freezes exactly the same way, so clearly (in my case) it's affecting the recording, not just occurring during playback.

The audio is always perfect, however, even when the video is stalled for over a second.
    08-16-11 03:19 PM
    Same problem. Was (trying) to record 1080P video while my daughter was singing two classical arias at a Baptist church homecoming event. Started to record while she was getting prepared and the application crashed � reloaded video cam app. Started again just as she was starting and it crashed again. Was able to restart the PB to try to get the second song at 720P; crashed again.

I will never again rely solely on the PB for any important video capture. The PB really seems to be more unstable since the last upgrade. I noticed that when I have App World loaded, and I try to listen to a podcast while also playing a solitaire game, either the podcast or App World closes.

Anyone else having multi-app �stability� problems?
    08-17-11 05:57 AM
    @bpeter, that sort of thing doesn't happen to me unless it's a basic browser crash, or a case of low memory. I always check under Settings -> About -> Hardware to check my free RAM situation if I'm trying to run several critical things at once. Generally the browser is the only real memory hog for me, but I haven't run the particular combination you have... maybe that's all it is.

When RAM gets low, the OS kicks out the least recently used app(s) to free up space.
    08-17-11 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD