Probably been brought up before, but if you start watching the keynote, fast forward to 33:40

Mounted on the rear of the front seats are two playbooks. They are not 7" playbooks, definitely larger.

For perspective, the in-dash mounted playbook is the normal 7" playbook.
    05-03-12 09:49 AM
    they are just normal 7" playbooks and the link is this one.

05-03-12 09:53 AM
    In the talk they say that they are in fact not Playbooks but thin clients. Whether they are or not, who knows. The effect they were trying to convey is that all those devices are being run by a central 'Playbook / QNX Car' which assigns user accounts to each device (eg. 1000, 1001, 1002) that probably share the processor of the car.

This is why each user has its own account (eg. 1000 is default on Playbook). It is extendible far beyond one device.
    05-03-12 09:55 AM
    There is 10" playbooks around. The guys from darta that makes the mounts and lights for the police cars and ect told me they are making a mount for the 10" playbook that was due later out this year. I am having them buid me a mount for my jeep.
    05-03-12 09:57 AM
    they are just normal 7" playbooks and the link is this one.

Hmmm, I see what you mean (1:22 in the vid). Did you notice the substantial difference in the bezel size? The perspective seems wrong, I'm not convinced (yet) that they are the normal 7" playbooks in the keynote.
    05-03-12 10:03 AM
    In the talk they say that they are in fact not Playbooks but thin clients. Whether they are or not, who knows. The effect they were trying to convey is that all those devices are being run by a central 'Playbook / QNX Car' which assigns user accounts to each device (eg. 1000, 1001, 1002) that probably share the processor of the car.

This is why each user has its own account (eg. 1000 is default on Playbook). It is extendible far beyond one device.
    Winner winner, chicken dinner! Yup, this is what happens when I'm transfixed by the video and not listening to the audio. There seems (to me) to be a slight disconnect between what Thor is saying and what I'm seeing. The displays do not appear to be dumb access points. The one on the left is showing all the PB apps, while the unit on the right is accessing app world. Thor mentioned the rear units being used for gaming or video.
    05-03-12 10:08 AM
    A thin client doesn't mean a restricted use of features. It should be able to do everything a normal playbook can do.
    That is the purpose of user accounts (1000, 1001, ...). The same as if you created multiple accounts on Windows and then logged in to each of them remotely. Each login will have its own desktop (all differing from eachother), able to install apps that may or may not be shared among all users, with their own user data and application sessions.

Seeing as the main device is a car, it has no shortage of power and could be driving a much faster processor that would allow each device (the two nodes for instance) to play the latest games simultaneously. All the while managing the cars systems, displaying stats (like speedometer) and playing music.
    Last edited by xsacha; 05-03-12 at 10:15 AM.
    05-03-12 10:12 AM
    They are 7 inch BBP
    05-03-12 10:55 AM
    They are 7 inch BBP
    Sorry, I disagree. I use mine daily, and unless it's a 3/4 scale Porche, the display (IMHO) is larger than 7".
    05-03-12 11:31 AM
    Sorry, I disagree. I use mine daily, and unless it's a 3/4 scale Porche, the display (IMHO) is larger than 7".
    You're allowed to disagree... it's just that most people don't agree with you.

Looks like the same Porsche that was shown off before, that Kevin was in. And that one WAS using 7" playbooks, but linked to a central computer.
    05-03-12 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD