I understand that Thorstein Heins announced, during an interview, that BlackBerry won't be doing a 10-incher so I was wondering that if this is definite - should I get the new iPad then? I've been waiting all this time and now I'm at the end of my tether. I've read that there are rumours that they may be one in June but I can't be bothered playing the waiting game and hoping that BlackBerry decide that they can be bothered making a 10-inch slate. I need a solid answer: will there be one later this year or not?
    03-31-13 11:25 PM
    I believe he's giving the corporate equivalent of "No comment". He's repeated said that they would only enter the tablet market if it is profitable for the company. And given that they're business model is being the "premium brand", they would need a 40% profit margin on these devices. Unlike the Playbook which sold at mostly losses.

So they are definitely trying to find a way to go into the tablet market, but it seems like it isn't going to happen this year.
    If you're waiting for a June release, I would say you're much better off getting whatever tablet you want.
    I would suspect that there will not be a 10 inch tablet coming out any time soon.
    ruhban likes this.
    03-31-13 11:35 PM
    Ipads do keep their value, look at Craigslist, kijiji, ebay.... so you could buy now and sell later. or even buy a used one if you really need a 10" tablet. On the other hand if you bought an android tablet you'd have something to find / download android apps and have some chance of using same apps on z10, either by converting yourself or requesting conversion here on the android sub forums.

Posted via CB10
    ruhban likes this.
    03-31-13 11:36 PM
    I would not hold my breath for a 10 inch tablet or any other BB tablet for at least another year. Though indications are there is active research going on for determining a viable market and some hardware design has been undertaken, there does not appear to be a compelling case for BB to go ahead and market such a device.

The best we can possibly hope for is the delivery of a BB10 update for the existing PlayBook and delivery of this is now looking like in the fall.

All of this is an educated guess, but BB does not have the resources to forge ahead into the tablet market unless they have close to a sure thing and I don't see a sure thing on the horizon especially with what TH has been saying in the last few months.

Perhaps if the PlayBook sales pick up after delivery of BB10, they might look into it more seriously especially if Z10 and Q10 sales start taking a significant bite out of the competition which results in more quality apps coming to BB10 and the updated PlayBook.
    Bobert_123 and ruhban like this.
    04-01-13 12:26 AM
    I understand that Thorstein Heins announced, during an interview, that BlackBerry won't be doing a 10-incher so I was wondering that if this is definite - should I get the new iPad then? I've been waiting all this time and now I'm at the end of my tether. I've read that there are rumours that they may be one in June but I can't be bothered playing the waiting game and hoping that BlackBerry decide that they can be bothered making a 10-inch slate. I need a solid answer: will there be one later this year or not?
    By the time BlackBerry come out with a new tablet, it will be time for you to replace your ipad. So yeah, I would not wait.
    ruhban likes this.
    04-01-13 03:07 AM
    Disappointing news, I've had my PB since launch, IMO PB is an one-person-device, great for private use but less usefull for Business presentations, a lot of customers may feel uncomfortable because it's too small to keep physical distance.
    04-01-13 04:57 AM
    ruhban likes this.
    04-01-13 07:10 AM
    Z, Q, B, U, R? That's not in alphabetical order now is it?
    04-01-13 09:23 AM
    But that's not a reliable source. For all we know it could just be some ***** trying to stir things up.
    04-01-13 09:36 AM
    I believe he's giving the corporate equivalent of "No comment". He's repeated said that they would only enter the tablet market if it is profitable for the company. And given that they're business model is being the "premium brand", they would need a 40% profit margin on these devices. Unlike the Playbook which sold at mostly losses.

So they are definitely trying to find a way to go into the tablet market, but it seems like it isn't going to happen this year.
    If you're waiting for a June release, I would say you're much better off getting whatever tablet you want.
    I would suspect that there will not be a 10 inch tablet coming out any time soon.
    Hmm that makes a lot of sense you've pretty much said what everyone else has said. Hopefully they'll grow some balls and make something as good as - if not even better - than the iPad because Apple can't be bothered getting off their arses to design a new one!
    04-01-13 09:39 AM
    Ipads do keep their value, look at Craigslist, kijiji, ebay.... so you could buy now and sell later. or even buy a used one if you really need a 10" tablet. On the other hand if you bought an android tablet you'd have something to find / download android apps and have some chance of using same apps on z10, either by converting yourself or requesting conversion here on the android sub forums.

Posted via CB10
    That's a good idea but the thing is not all of the apps work on my Z10. Even if I do get an iPad now it's not like I'll be missing out when they launch a 'new' one in September or June or whenever - it won't be anything different.
    04-01-13 09:41 AM
    I would not hold my breath for a 10 inch tablet or any other BB tablet for at least another year. Though indications are there is active research going on for determining a viable market and some hardware design has been undertaken, there does not appear to be a compelling case for BB to go ahead and market such a device.

The best we can possibly hope for is the delivery of a BB10 update for the existing PlayBook and delivery of this is now looking like in the fall.

All of this is an educated guess, but BB does not have the resources to forge ahead into the tablet market unless they have close to a sure thing and I don't see a sure thing on the horizon especially with what TH has been saying in the last few months.

Perhaps if the PlayBook sales pick up after delivery of BB10, they might look into it more seriously especially if Z10 and Q10 sales start taking a significant bite out of the competition which results in more quality apps coming to BB10 and the updated PlayBook.
    Hopefully Android and iOS users will open their eyes to see just how good BB10 is! I can see why they're not doing one this year I just wish they could give us fans the PlayBook we deserve!
    AUgirl_inTX likes this.
    04-01-13 09:44 AM
    By the time BlackBerry come out with a new tablet, it will be time for you to replace your ipad. So yeah, I would not wait.
    True and even if it isn't I could just trade in
    04-01-13 09:45 AM
    Disappointing news, I've had my PB since launch, IMO PB is an one-person-device, great for private use but less usefull for Business presentations, a lot of customers may feel uncomfortable because it's too small to keep physical distance.
    That's why I think they should launch a 10-inch one.
    04-01-13 09:46 AM
    I was in best buy the other day and they were selling 64 gig iPad 2 for $550.
    04-01-13 12:38 PM
    I was in best buy the other day and they were selling 64 gig iPad 2 for $550.
    Wow! That's really cheap! It translates to about 360 but I was going to sign up for a contract where I pay 29 for the iPad then 25 a month for 2 years when I get 15GB of data every month which will hopefully upgrade to 4G later this year.
    04-01-13 02:22 PM
    that so called leaked roadmap.from blackberryscoops was a cruel april fools joke a second image was released today
    04-01-13 07:34 PM
    that so called leaked roadmap.from blackberryscoops was a cruel april fools joke a second image was released today
    What bastards!
    04-01-13 09:58 PM
    And where might one find that second image?
    04-02-13 12:59 AM
    http://t.co/zxdEPLTgWl
    Attached Thumbnails 10-inch PlayBook 'Confirmed' Not to Release-bgv3hcpccaac6te.jpg  
    04-02-13 11:53 AM
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^

04-02-13 11:56 AM
    That's a good idea but the thing is not all of the apps work on my Z10. Even if I do get an iPad now it's not like I'll be missing out when they launch a 'new' one in September or June or whenever - it won't be anything different.
    -Likely new large iPad with an iPad mini design (thinner bezel on long sides etc) this spring.
    -Likely Retina display iPad mini this fall.

No way BBRY will do a consumer release of a tablet this year. The numbers just don't add up for a profitable release give the current competitive landscape.
    04-02-13 11:56 PM
    Look, if I want a 10 inch tablet I might as well get a notebook computer which will do a lot more. The trend is to small, mobile computing. So creating a 10 inch PB tablet, in my opinion, is a big mistake. BBRY should concentrate on simply improving the current PB and its form factor.
    04-04-13 12:28 PM