Someone please help me out here, the "current" playbook has a OMAP 4430 right? If thats the case the "new" 1.5GHZ playbook will have a OMAP 4460? If thats the case wont we also get a slightly faster GPU as well? Regarding bluetooth and WiFi, these components are additional chip/s, if the ifix teardown is correct the TI WL1283C WiLink 7.0, if RIM uses a TI chip again, but chooses one with NFC onboard to add the promised NFC capabilities (like the WL1851 WiLink 8.0 chip) could it be conceivable that we get a Bluetooth 4.0 upgrade as well? Heck, even FM radio as well?
    03-14-12 07:31 AM
    When designing cases, ports on the devices had to be considered, so I factored in the ports used is widely adopted therefore less likely to be changed on that part. I also address the button might get changed and might lead to change of the button orientations, have I not some what answered your concerns?
    now you have... yes

You mentioned about the ports are kept the same for the apple mobile devices, but I was addressing that it won't get changed like I said before about the choices are already made for the current playbook.
    we agreed on that

^ That is why I explained the cables needed, and might still be used for next version. I also explained the hardware differences that needed attention to if they are worth a while.

In no where did I mention "BUYING ALL NEW CASES is an unnecessary use of MONEY"or such, I was merely discussing the possibility of considerations the developers might need to go through when picking the connectors, which is related to your concern if a new case might be needed. You said apple kept it the same, so I explained that unlikely the playbook will not because of the current choices are wise already.

but you said i wasnt making a point. and my point was about buying new cases

When I said:

I really meant my own personal experiences, because you mentioned that "No one cares that i can hack a DS bc there is 3DS now". Just trying to agree to your point by putting in a different example.

At the end, I think all my points are trying to relate to the next design in many aspects. If I have made it seem like a personal attack, then I am sorry - I had no such intention. I am not for or against RIM in anyway, so I think my opinions are rather unbiased, and might seem to be straight forward.
    agreed

If you had extra cases, why don't you sell it to the iPhone 4 users before no one use them anymore? Or do what I have said before, you can cut the hole like what my friend did for his 4S, it worked out ok for him.
    they werent reall 'extra' because i was intending on using them but he wanted one
    This was a much better toned/written response. Thank you for that, I wish everyone would respond/discuss matters in this way all the time!
    03-14-12 08:32 AM
    People who told you that the new playbook is coming?
    03-14-12 08:41 AM
    could it be conceivable that we get a Bluetooth 4.0 upgrade as well? Heck, even FM radio as well?
    Even the current TI chip in the Playbook supports Bluetooth 4.0 and FM Radio. It's just not in the software.

GPU is for graphics and, while I didn't confirm, it's been said to be single core. New ipad will be quad core GPU.
    Old GPU was SGX543MP2, new one is SGX543MP4 (same as PS Vita).
    Same GPU, just changing core spec from dual-core to quad-core.
    Similar bump that the SGX540 in Playbook got when clock speed was doubled.

I was talking about the GPUs in the devices of which the Playbook has a single core and the "new" iPad has a quad core. Perhaps you should learn to read so as to not make yourself look like a moron. smdh
    Tegra 3 has a 12-core GPU. The cores is meaningless as a measurement by themselves or comparison with a different GPU. There are a lot of factors involved in GPUs.
    That's the reason why SGX543MP4 beats Tegra 3 in most areas but not all.
    Last edited by xsacha; 03-14-12 at 09:11 AM.
    03-14-12 08:50 AM
    Yes there will be a noticable increase without a doubt. I can't believe this argument has been going on for 8 pages.

Your basic system has 4 key components.
    CPU, Ram, Memory and GPU.
    The slowest component is the bottleneck of your system. In the case of the PlayBook it is the ram. That being said there is 2 ways to increase it. More ram or a better GPU. The 1.5 processor will have a far better GPU than the one in the current PlayBook. This will show up significantly while playing games and in the general appearance of the high resolution screen.

The other part they don't tell you is the speed of the ram in devices. If RIM swaps out a higher output ram there will be a noticable inprovement without increasing its actual size.
    03-14-12 09:00 AM
    The slowest component is the bottleneck of your system. In the case of the PlayBook it is the ram.
    Are you saying the RAM is slow or there isn't enough RAM?
    I'd agree with you the speed of the RAM is slow but that would be true of all tablets.

But not enough RAM? I'm looking at 700MB available RAM right now. Heck, if anything, we got too much RAM for a first-gen release. The surplus RAM is only to accommodate the Android system that was tacked on.
    03-14-12 09:14 AM
    Yes there will be a noticable increase without a doubt. I can't believe this argument has been going on for 8 pages.

Your basic system has 4 key components.
    CPU, Ram, Memory and GPU.
    The slowest component is the bottleneck of your system. In the case of the PlayBook it is the ram. That being said there is 2 ways to increase it. More ram or a better GPU. The 1.5 processor will have a far better GPU than the one in the current PlayBook. This will show up significantly while playing games and in the general appearance of the high resolution screen.

The other part they don't tell you is the speed of the ram in devices. If RIM swaps out a higher output ram there will be a noticable inprovement without increasing its actual size.
    I think Android Player is the most demanding and taxing part of Playbook OS. Going to 1.5 Ghz cpu should improve Android apps performance significantly.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    03-14-12 09:17 AM
    One thing to note about the new iPad coming out is that it is being shipped with a dual-core processor, which is useless for the device. There is no multi-tasking on an iPad, so the second core inside the processor won't be used or be a factor in the device's speed. Just another marketing gimmick from Apple because they need to remain *ahead* of the competition, so they release devices that have similar specs to their competition, even if their device does not make use of them or require them to give them speed they get.
    Why are you guys always picking on iPad this way? What's worse is what you stated there is completely inaccurate. iPad 2 already has dual core, the CPU does not change in iPad 3. iOS is fully multi-tasking OS and at OS level there's no significant difference among iOS, Linux, QNX in that regard. Most PB apps also pause when put on the background, unless you enable "Showcase" mode, so default behaviour on app level are similar as well.

Either way, unless there is a serious jump in the features of the PB, I doubt there will be all that many current PB owners looking to upgrade, especially if you bought yours in the last few months with the price drop. If you're just using it on WiFi or Bridging, you won't really see much of an improvement with the extra 500MHz. You might see some on more graphics-intensive webpages that take a while to load, but you won't be able to make YouTube videos any smoother than they already are at 720p, and you likely won't see any speed improvements in apps like Facebook or Twitter. It's up to you whether you need the 3G access or whether the new features (if any) will make you want to get this one over the current one.
    I'm betting .5Ghz difference will make a noticeable difference in everyday use. OS 2.0 with Android player has brought the performance down at least from my own experience. Things that use to be snappy are little jittery, all these can be improved significantly with processor bump and memory increase.

After all, RIM wouldn't do things that wouldn't make a difference, just to get specs up. There would be a good reason for processor speed bump.
    03-14-12 09:25 AM
    I think Android Player is the most demanding and taxing part of Playbook OS. Going to 1.5 Ghz cpu should improve Android apps performance significantly.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    Agreed. Even on Android tablets with better processor the GUI still feels sluggish.
    03-14-12 09:26 AM
    Tegra 3 has a 12-core GPU. The cores is meaningless as a measurement by themselves or comparison with a different GPU. There are a lot of factors involved in GPUs.
    I think SGX543MP2 beats Tegra 3 in most areas, not SGX543MP4.
    It is somewhat hard to compare "core" in Tegra and SGX, since 12 core in Tegra 3 = 12 SIMD and 4 core in PowerVR SGX543MP4 =4x4 = 16 SIMD.

But within the same GPU line like SGX540 vs SGX543 it is easier to compared. Both have 4 SIMD and the 543 have almost double performance of 540. So the SGX540 MP4 likely have 8x performance of 540. Assume that they are running on a same clockrate.

BTW, in previous post you said that OMAP 4430 have a faster CPU than A5. Just curious where you get that info from?
    Because almost every benchmark I saw on anandtech show both SoC get the same CPU performance.
    Last edited by Vindicators; 03-14-12 at 09:41 AM.
    03-14-12 09:39 AM
    The slowest component is the bottleneck of your system. In the case of the PlayBook it is the ram.
    I think you'll find that the speed (bandwidth) of flash memory is much slower than RAM. However, once the program is loaded (read from flash) into RAM, the flash memory is effectively not part of the system and would no longer be the bottleneck. Faster flash memory would reduce program (app) load times. Faster RAM "can" improve the performance of high bandwidth apps, but only if a RAM bottleneck exists.
    03-14-12 10:08 AM
    I was talking about the GPUs in the devices of which the Playbook has a single core and the "new" iPad has a quad core. Perhaps you should learn to read so as to not make yourself look like a moron. smdh
    Then perhaps you should be more specific in your posting to make yourself look less like a jackass.

smh
    03-14-12 10:33 AM
    GPU is not CPU. GPU is for graphics and, while I didn't confirm, it's been said to be single core. New ipad will be quad core GPU. Which it probably needs given the resolution.

OOPS... seems this has already been covered on pages 2, 3, 5, 7 and 9.
    Indeed, this topic has gotten way out of hand. When I have both tablets in my hands (as others should too) maybe we can reach a new record on useless information instead. That way we all can argue what's best instead of using them at all.

This reminds me of years back of Nintendo vs. Sega and the mindless spec wars continue on...
    03-14-12 10:42 AM
    Which has nothing to do with the comparison of the new iPads GPU and the Playbook GPU.
    03-14-12 10:48 AM
    Then perhaps you should be more specific in your posting to make yourself look less like a jackass.

smh
    I was very specific. Learn to read crap for brains.
    03-14-12 10:51 AM
    I was very specific. Learn to read crap for brains.
    i wish we had girls with numbered cards parading around between posts...
    q649 likes this.
    03-14-12 10:59 AM
    Which has nothing to do with the comparison of the new iPads GPU and the Playbook GPU.
    Where in this topic header contains the word "iPad"? Not only are you off topic, you seem quite defensive of the mighty iPad (which you don't have yet).

Please return to your cave, the sun (or rain in my case) is up...
    03-14-12 11:07 AM
    Where in this topic header contains the word "iPad"? Not only are you off topic, you seem quite defensive of the mighty iPad (which you don't have yet).

Please return to your cave, the sun (or rain in my case) is up...
    Let me see if I can explain this to your dumb behind.

FSeverino posted a quote from Engadget that stated the the Playbook was on par with the new iPad in specs save for screen res. I responded with:

"Not true at all. The new iPad has a quad core gpu where the playbook has a single core. The iPad will crush the playbook in any graphics intensive apps. And a 1.5Ghz playbook won't change that."

Which was a legitimate response and shows that I was comparing GPUs and CPUs which, of course, escaped you due to your obvious lack of reading comprehension.

So it is you sir who should return to his cave and not come out until you learn to frac'n read.
    03-14-12 11:28 AM
    Why don't you all get room or are you trying to close the thread?
    03-14-12 11:41 AM
    Why don't you all get room or are you trying to close the thread?
    Appropriate warnings have been handed out like confetti. Maybe the bickering and insults will stop before timeouts become necessary...
    03-14-12 11:58 AM

FSeverino posted a quote from Engadget that stated the the Playbook was on par with the new iPad in specs save for screen res. I responded with:

"Not true at all. The new iPad has a quad core gpu where the playbook has a single core. The iPad will crush the playbook in any graphics intensive apps. And a 1.5Ghz playbook won't change that."

Which was a legitimate response and shows that I was comparing GPUs and CPUs which, of course, escaped you due to your obvious lack of reading comprehension.

So it is you sir who should return to his cave and not come out until you learn to frac'n read.
    BSG!

This is 100% true. The post was in response to my initial statement that if RIM does a good job releasing a better PB it would have a great chance to take a leap forward in the marketshare.

Although this would have been great i guess they already had the next version of the PB ready, since it just hit FCC... so i guess we will have to be happy with what they release now.
    03-14-12 12:39 PM
    Are you saying the RAM is slow or there isn't enough RAM?
    I'd agree with you the speed of the RAM is slow but that would be true of all tablets.

But not enough RAM? I'm looking at 700MB available RAM right now. Heck, if anything, we got too much RAM for a first-gen release. The surplus RAM is only to accommodate the Android system that was tacked on.
    What I'm saying is that with the new 1.5 processor the PlayBook would not only have better speed from it but also more speed from the improved GPU. That would free up more ram and would be a noticable increase in performance.

I think you'll find that the speed (bandwidth) of flash memory is much slower than RAM. However, once the program is loaded (read from flash) into RAM, the flash memory is effectively not part of the system and would no longer be the bottleneck. Faster flash memory would reduce program (app) load times. Faster RAM "can" improve the performance of high bandwidth apps, but only if a RAM bottleneck exists.
    The consensus is that the ram is the bottleneck of the current PlayBook. I think 1GB is enough in comparison to the CPU speed. It's even the right amount for the 1.5 CPU. The increase speed of the CPU in sending the memory to the ram would only be effective if the memory could handle the increase. So the memory speed rating is important.
    03-14-12 02:21 PM

Let it be known that I can read quite well. I just refuse to go through pages of nonsense as this is a discussion board for the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Thank you, come again and have a nice day...
    03-14-12 02:23 PM
    Let it be known that I can read quite well. I just refuse to go through pages of nonsense as this is a discussion board for the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Thank you, come again and have a nice day...
    This is also true... lol
    03-14-12 02:24 PM
    What I'm saying is that with the new 1.5 processor the PlayBook would not only have better speed from it but also more speed from the improved GPU. That would free up more ram and would be a noticable increase in performance.
    Im not super into computers at the moment because i havent had time to keep up with the rapid changes. But, would it be better to have an increase in processor with the same graphic resolution or to have a super high resolution pulling from 1gb of ram and a 1ghz processor?

I know that may be a bit loaded as the 'processor' type matters, but what im trying to say is that I think because the PB is having the same graphics being displayed, which it does VERY WELL, right now... would it not mean that the only option would be that this new model will be faster (even in the slightest bit)? Where as with the new ipad the doubling in RAM has A LOT of work to go with it now that the amount of data being displayed will be increased A LOT.

Im not trying to make a debate on which device is better, i just want to know the difference in effects that the 'upgrades' in the two devices will have. For example if both went to 1.5ghz but the ipad ONLY changed the screen and not the RAM what would happen? That sort of stuff.
    03-14-12 02:31 PM
171 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD