^ This

Anyone who says they notice a difference in processors speeds when talking about an upgrade from 1.0Ghz to 1.5 Ghz is full of it. OH NOES!! My processor has 500 million less cycles!

Now a 50% increase in RAM would make a huge difference.
    Will burn more power too.
    03-13-12 08:06 PM
    Will burn more power too.
    Actually a 50% increase in RAM should burn less power than a 50% increase in clock speed.
    03-13-12 08:09 PM
    I currently own 4 tablets and 10 phones (but no Blackberry).
    My collection does not win yours (refer to attachment)
    03-13-12 09:07 PM
    i am stepping to the side on this one... not worth my time when people dont want to do it the right way.

agree or disagree, but do it with some facts and examples.

ppl have stated many times that most of the specs on the new ipad are the same as ipad 2 or only improvements that bring it on par with other devices. if this is wrong then show s how. yes, the 'upgrades' are there ... but they are not ADVANCEMENTS in the field. That has been my argument. No one has done anything to refute that, but they have done EVERYTHING to sidetrack the conversation into WOW PIXELS!!!!!!

So, until people want to have a decent discussion i will be out of this threads convo, and let the other people take my place.
    03-13-12 09:49 PM
    Look, bottom line. The new iPad is better then the Playbook. Spin it any way you want but that's the truth. Our FFC is the only thing we can lord over the new iPad and that's about it. But so what? We all have Playbooks. We got the Playbook because that's the device we wanted and we are all happy with it.(for the most part) And the Playbook is no slouch. It's a damn fine little tablet in it's own right.
    kennyliu, BlackBerry Guy and Rello like this.
    03-13-12 10:10 PM
    No more iPad talks. Read the topic. After all, it is more important discuss what is already in our hot little hands. No good will be gained if one is right and the other is wrong.

Besides, the two tablets are designed for different targeted audiences, features and etc. We are here to improve not to immature.
    kennyliu and ambarmetta like this.
    03-13-12 10:40 PM
    it would most likely be the OMAP4470, with that comes an improved GPU as well. I may upgrade and sell my PB to a friend.
    03-13-12 10:48 PM
    ipad talk

now what?

lol

i actually thought of this... (this is NOT to bring in an idevice, but it is a valid point) I was wondering if the design will be EXACTLY the same as this version. I know the iphone4s and new ipad are slightly different and i think that making the desing different will throw a lot of people off, even if it is just moving a port slightly or something because from all the reports there are A LOT of cases that arent selling, and if a modified design comes out then they wont sell for sure. On the other side, if it is the same design this will be GREAT for those same cases bc now the people getting playbooks will till be able to use their cases, even if you upgrade a playbook either you will need a case for the new one or the person you sold the old pb to will need a case because you kept yours.

I think this is something that RIM should look into. I know a lot of android people get upset bc there are lots of new devices that come out but i actually think that apple has done a great job at keeping the ipad/phone/pod charger/connector he same over the years. If RIM can do this it will show that they want to help out BOTH retailers and consumers, because those same cases that are selling for $35 can be marked up to $45 or $50 and people ill eat them up (if sales of new playbooks are as good as they should be)
    03-13-12 10:57 PM
    like it or not, current models of any tech/toys will always be a step back when a new model is launched. even if its just additional RAM, or just an extra 0.5GHz, it is enough for a "old vs new" thought.

i guess your intention of such post is to seek comfort from users, that your playbook will not be outdated with the launch of newer models. this is equivalent to self-denial.

gadgets are going to get faster/better. chase it if you can afford it. else, use what you have until it breaks.
    That and they will ensure that the last os update supported by the original playbook will run slow enough to poss you off so that you upgrade. That is how apple does it with their phones. They make sure that your last supported update breaks your phone.
    03-13-12 11:06 PM
    OK. I'm going to join the peanut gallery on this one. I'm a professional in the IT/ITSP world, and a 500mhz difference is almost unnoticeable, unless you decide to install an email server, host a website, or regularly transcode media files in the background on you PB - in which case you will find a very slight increase in performance.

However on the flipside, mhz is not an accurate measurement by itself. You need to look at FSB, cores and a myriad of other factors. Classic example - compare an Intel Celeron 2 ghz to a Pentium 4 2ghz, and also to an I5 at 2ghz. Apples and oranges, almost.

In this case with the PB, it is a client device to access cloud services on the web, play games, record video, etc. All these uses depend almost solely on RAM.
    Last edited by J-Caum; 03-13-12 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
    03-13-12 11:29 PM
    ipad talk

now what?

lol

i actually thought of this... (this is NOT to bring in an idevice, but it is a valid point) I was wondering if the design will be EXACTLY the same as this version. I know the iphone4s and new ipad are slightly different and i think that making the desing different will throw a lot of people off, even if it is just moving a port slightly or something because from all the reports there are A LOT of cases that arent selling, and if a modified design comes out then they wont sell for sure. On the other side, if it is the same design this will be GREAT for those same cases bc now the people getting playbooks will till be able to use their cases, even if you upgrade a playbook either you will need a case for the new one or the person you sold the old pb to will need a case because you kept yours.

I think this is something that RIM should look into. I know a lot of android people get upset bc there are lots of new devices that come out but i actually think that apple has done a great job at keeping the ipad/phone/pod charger/connector he same over the years. If RIM can do this it will show that they want to help out BOTH retailers and consumers, because those same cases that are selling for $35 can be marked up to $45 or $50 and people ill eat them up (if sales of new playbooks are as good as they should be)
    I would not be worried if they are required to change the connectors for the PlayBook 2(most likely that they are not going to). My playbook, my Atrix, my dad's A500 I got him all use micro USB and micro HDMI connector. These connectors have been used through most of the multimedia devices. Cheap to come by, and hard to break as there are less pins, results a smaller connector, less stress on the port on the device, less likely to break... I can go on.

As for cases, they are cheap as light bulbs (ok maybe not price the same as light bulbs but read the next argument). Cases are meant to only last so long, like light bulbs, or the glow plug that cracked in my furnace the other day - they are designed to be worn out eventually to be replaced. HDMI cables? when it comes to copper, they are more expansive for higher grade versions. PlayBook costs $199 for the basic model, who is going to spend another $50 for a HDMI cable if it only works for one device? (a quick Google shows that this alone costs $39 and only works for newer devices if you read the thread complaints, that is not including the actual HDMI cable). The Micro USB cable is cheap enough, you can even find them in dollar stores from time to time. If the connector has too many pins, or it is something proprietary designed prices go north without a doubt, licensing for 3rd party to make the replacement cable sometimes needs to be obtained hence the higher price. More pins, more likely to get clogged up or get damaged.

"android people get upset bc there are lots of new devices that come out" ??? come out and what?? more new choices for upgrades isn't it better? I don't see your argument here. It still comes back to the point, Android is targeting the users that tinkers with the device.

To sum up, little changes from time to time is ok, I am sure your case will not last as long as the device. RIM's products are known for the durability (gorilla glass pretty much shows it off). By the time you want to upgrade, your case must look like a sandwich ran over by a truck repeatedly. When it comes to interface connectors, coppers are expansive material nowadays, therefore, keeping the device using universal connectors will save cash in your pocket. Using proprietary connectors usually leads to tons of pins built into it decreasing durability.

Tell me that I am wrong.
    Last edited by morrislee; 03-14-12 at 12:11 AM.
    03-14-12 12:05 AM

"android people get upset bc there are lots of new devices that come out" ??? come out and what?? more new choices for upgrades isn't it better? I don't see your argument here. It still comes back to the point, Android is targeting the users that tinkers with the device.

To sum up, little changes from time to time is ok, I am sure your case will not last as long as the device. RIM's products are known for the durability (gorilla glass pretty much shows it off). By the time you want to upgrade, your case must look like a sandwich ran over by a truck repeatedly. When it comes to interface connectors, coppers are expansive material nowadays, therefore, keeping the device using universal connectors will save cash in your pocket. Using proprietary connectors usually leads to tons of pins built into it decreasing durability.

Tell me that I am wrong. --- you arent!
    DOnt get me wrong, i know that the usb and hdmi will stay the same, that is a given. and im pretty sure the 3 pin will stay the same, i was talking more for the cases. I had a leftover case from my iphone4 and my friend was excited to get it... but i didnt even think that it wouldnt fit on the 4s bc i forgot that they moved the silent toggle just a hair. So that slight move made ALL cases obsolete. I agree that cases are meant to be worn out (which is why i bought 3 for my iphone when they went on sale at belkin) but i WANT just that to happen, if it wears out that means i have used it for all it is worth... but being forced to buy a new one for such a silly change seems like a marketing ploy to me.

As for the android comment... i was just going by what people have said. I agree that new things are better, but the android phones are getting a bit much. If they want me to tinker with my device then give me some time to tinker with it and get the feel for everything it can do before releasing a better one. No one cares that i can hack a DS bc there is 3DS now, but at least i had a while to impress people. (again, dont get me wrong, this is not an android rant... i really like the OS. I was just trying to say that sometimes the cost of buying cases/protectors for all these different devices adds up, and bc there are much more android devices i would imagine that to mean much more cost on cases and such, that was the only point i was trying to make)
    03-14-12 12:16 AM
    DOnt get me wrong, i know that the usb and hdmi will stay the same, that is a given. and im pretty sure the 3 pin will stay the same, i was talking more for the cases. I had a leftover case from my iphone4 and my friend was excited to get it... but i didnt even think that it wouldnt fit on the 4s bc i forgot that they moved the silent toggle just a hair. So that slight move made ALL cases obsolete. I agree that cases are meant to be worn out (which is why i bought 3 for my iphone when they went on sale at belkin) but i WANT just that to happen, if it wears out that means i have used it for all it is worth... but being forced to buy a new one for such a silly change seems like a marketing ploy to me.

As for the android comment... i was just going by what people have said. I agree that new things are better, but the android phones are getting a bit much. If they want me to tinker with my device then give me some time to tinker with it and get the feel for everything it can do before releasing a better one. No one cares that i can hack a DS bc there is 3DS now, but at least i had a while to impress people. (again, dont get me wrong, this is not an android rant... i really like the OS. I was just trying to say that sometimes the cost of buying cases/protectors for all these different devices adds up, and bc there are much more android devices i would imagine that to mean much more cost on cases and such, that was the only point i was trying to make)
    This will be the LAST comment about Androids or iDevices.

The iPhone 4 and the 4S button discrepancies are nudged due to the flawed antenna design on the 4. This similar effect will apply to the PlayBook, as the power button has been one of the first thing to break and it is remotely hard to reach in a awkward position. Most likely, yes, you will need a new case for the next version of the PlayBook (or just cut up a hole like my iPhone 4S friend who bought an iPhone 4 case with the 4S)

Going for what people have said... "android phones are getting a bit much"??? a bit much in??? varieties??? For tinkering, once you tinker with your first one, the second one will be much easier to understand. Yeah, no one cares if you can hack your own device, really, no one does. But I care if it can be hacked to be tailored to my own needs and style - completely personal. If you are comparing to show off a hacked DS when people has hacked 3DS, remove the "hacked" part because no one cares what you did to your own device and replace the DS and the 3DS device family to say iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S - at this stage, no one cares if you got the 4 either, because you are outdated.

Bottom line is that what you want is what you want. And I really don't see a solid point you have made that needed to be discussed. We are here to discuss PlayBook's new CPU, whether if it will improve performances or not, and has been said many times and I also have shown tests of similar devices with the differences in clock speed does not gain much.

By the way guys, I remembered that Motorola Atrix 2 has the same SoC as the PlayBook but it runs Android. Comparing the original Atrix and the Atrix 2, benchmarks shows them almost on par, therefore, overclocking the Atrix or the Atrix 2 to 1.5GHz will show a pretty accurate simulation of what we might gain if the PlayBook gets 1.5GHz eventually. And this is exactly what I have addressed before

In conclusion about the upgrade, it is really unnecessary unless you want NFC and 42mbps HSPA+ (different from LTE and LTE can go up as high as 299mbps, but most services only offer 75 for now and only few devices actually supports it). PlayBook 3 seems to be more viable upgrade unless RIM decides to put more RAM in PlayBook 2.
    03-14-12 12:47 AM
    Other manufacturers have no such reservations which is why you're going to see a tonne of 1920x1200 tablets this year (announced earlier and some have already released). I still believe 1920x1200 is also overkill but it is at least possible to discern the difference from 40cm.
    You will notice a difference (compared to 1280x800 tablets) if you stick them side-by-side -- but is it actually worth having it?
    Those new 1920x1200 tablets dont even have a release date yet, let alone already released like you said.
    I still failed to see how the new iPad are catch up its competitors when competitor still not released yet.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-14-12 01:06 AM
    And I really don't see a solid point you have made that needed to be discussed. We are here to discuss PlayBook's new CPU, whether if it will improve performances or not, and has been said many times and I also have shown tests of similar devices with the differences in clock speed does not gain much.
    man. im not sure what you are upset about in your personal life... but you need to know how to deal with that in a different way. I dont know how my simple statement that

MY THOUGHT ON THE IDEA was that it would make a BIG difference in my decision if i would have to buy all new cases (i have 3)

and then giving some examples led to you ranting about no one caring about what i do with my devices. Can you tell me that I am wrong in saying that i would not upgrade to a new device if i had to spend a further $100 on cases? Can you tell me that i said anything negative about the iphone (which i own, and complimented apple on) or android devices OTHER then the fact that new cases were needed for the upgrades and i hope that the new PB was not he same? Most importantly, can you tell me how NOT WANTING to spend more money is NOT a good point to make when talking about upgrading a device (which is essentially what this thread is about)?

The answer to all of those questions is NO!

That means that everything i said after my first post was in response to you, so if you would like to stop talking about something then please do it, but do not go ranting like you own the place and not expect me to stand up for myself.

I used EXAMPLES and you did the SAME.

I would not be worried if they are required to change the connectors for the PlayBook 2(most likely that they are not going to). My playbook, my Atrix, my dad's A500 I got him all use micro USB and micro HDMI connector. These connectors have been used through most of the multimedia devices.
    I personally dont care what phones you had before, but that is none of my business and i have no right to say anything about it...especially when it is irrelevant to the point i was making about CASES and stand alone CHARGING ports (not usb and hdmi) but for you to go on a huge rant for ZERO reason and then say NO MORE... come on, really?

Also, is your conclusion of:

it is really unnecessary unless you want NFC and 42mbps HSPA+ (different from LTE and LTE can go up as high as 299mbps, but most services only offer 75 for now and only few devices actually supports it). PlayBook 3 seems to be more viable upgrade unless RIM decides to put more RAM in PlayBook 2.
    any more a 'point' then mine? you are saying it is not worth the upgrade because of the specs included... or, it is not worth the MONEY to upgrade. yet me saying BUYING ALL NEW CASES is an unnecessary use of MONEY deserves a personal attack and rant? You are saying ALL THOSE THINGS are not worth the couple hundred dollars to upgrade and I am saying that BEFORE even looking at those i would look at the COST for peripherals... yet I am wrong...

... ... ...

I understand the TITLE of the thread is about the processor, but you have to consider ALL options in a purchase like this, and you havent. So, really my point is more valid then yours because if someone thought that the SPECS of the PB were worth the upgrade but then had to spend another $100 on cases and screen protectors that can very well TURN THEM OFF.

Am i wrong?
    03-14-12 01:18 AM
    When designing cases, ports on the devices had to be considered, so I factored in the ports used is widely adopted therefore less likely to be changed on that part. I also address the button might get changed and might lead to change of the button orientations, have I not some what answered your concerns?

You mentioned about the ports are kept the same for the apple mobile devices, but I was addressing that it won't get changed like I said before about the choices are already made for the current playbook.

you have to consider ALL options in a purchase like this
    ^ That is why I explained the cables needed, and might still be used for next version. I also explained the hardware differences that needed attention to if they are worth a while.

In no where did I mention "BUYING ALL NEW CASES is an unnecessary use of MONEY"or such, I was merely discussing the possibility of considerations the developers might need to go through when picking the connectors, which is related to your concern if a new case might be needed. You said apple kept it the same, so I explained that unlikely the playbook will not because of the current choices are wise already.

When I said:

Yeah, no one cares if you can hack your own device, really, no one does. But I care if it can be hacked to be tailored to my own needs and style - completely persona
    I really meant my own personal experiences, because you mentioned that "No one cares that i can hack a DS bc there is 3DS now". Just trying to agree to your point by putting in a different example.

At the end, I think all my points are trying to relate to the next design in many aspects. If I have made it seem like a personal attack, then I am sorry - I had no such intention. I am not for or against RIM in anyway, so I think my opinions are rather unbiased, and might seem to be straight forward.

If you had extra cases, why don't you sell it to the iPhone 4 users before no one use them anymore? Or do what I have said before, you can cut the hole like what my friend did for his 4S, it worked out ok for him.
    03-14-12 01:57 AM
    Wow. 8 pages, all because of 0.5GHz.

Seriously, why even bother comparing at all. Splurge the cash if u have it. Work harder for the cash if you dont have it. Else, status quo.
    ungibbed likes this.
    03-14-12 02:06 AM
    Not true at all. The new iPad has a quad core gpu where the playbook has a single core. The iPad will crush the playbook in any graphics intensive apps. And a 1.5Ghz playbook won't change that.
    You may want to study the hardware before guessing and posting here...

The PlayBook has been a 1Ghz dual core tablet since it's release with twice the RAM of the iPad 2. Don't bother trolling here, just check your facts before you post an opinion
    03-14-12 04:40 AM
    Wow. 8 pages, all because of 0.5GHz.

Seriously, why even bother comparing at all. Splurge the cash if u have it. Work harder for the cash if you dont have it. Else, status quo.
    I may end up getting the updated PB, I like RIM and the QNX adaptation to the PlayBook OS. It's a beast of a tablet with a very well thought out design. With an improved camera, the stereo Microphones (and speakers), and hopefully more options for video capture by release, I may leave my camcorder at home as even the current model is great at 1080p video capture in outdoor environments. The extra 500Mhz may not mean much to me but if other features do get squeezed in, I may spring for the 64GB just as I did on the iPad.
    03-14-12 04:53 AM
    I imagine the extra 0.5Ghz clock speed is to help keep the PB's speed on par with the original release as the 3G/H+ access is added when coupled with the multi-tasking features it already has.

One thing to note about the new iPad coming out is that it is being shipped with a dual-core processor, which is useless for the device. There is no multi-tasking on an iPad, so the second core inside the processor won't be used or be a factor in the device's speed. Just another marketing gimmick from Apple because they need to remain *ahead* of the competition, so they release devices that have similar specs to their competition, even if their device does not make use of them or require them to give them speed they get. It would have been more effective for Apple to have given their processor a higher clock speed and have a single core than have a lower clock speed with a dual core. But all the competition has dual-core processors, so the iPad has to as well, otherwise it won't sound as advanced. Two is always better than one, right?

Either way, unless there is a serious jump in the features of the PB, I doubt there will be all that many current PB owners looking to upgrade, especially if you bought yours in the last few months with the price drop. If you're just using it on WiFi or Bridging, you won't really see much of an improvement with the extra 500MHz. You might see some on more graphics-intensive webpages that take a while to load, but you won't be able to make YouTube videos any smoother than they already are at 720p, and you likely won't see any speed improvements in apps like Facebook or Twitter. It's up to you whether you need the 3G access or whether the new features (if any) will make you want to get this one over the current one.

JB
    03-14-12 06:23 AM
    Yeah, because you dont know how multi-thread software work, dont know how system process and service work and dont even have a idea about multitasking in mobile OS like iOS, Android, WP7. So you make thing up and state it like the fact.

Seems legit.
    03-14-12 06:40 AM

The PlayBook has been a 1Ghz dual core tablet since it's release with twice the RAM of the iPad 2. Don't bother trolling here, just check your facts before you post an opinion
    I was talking about the GPUs in the devices of which the Playbook has a single core and the "new" iPad has a quad core. Perhaps you should learn to read so as to not make yourself look like a moron. smdh
    Last edited by JamesDax3; 03-14-12 at 07:22 AM.
    03-14-12 07:09 AM

GPU is not CPU. GPU is for graphics and, while I didn't confirm, it's been said to be single core. New ipad will be quad core GPU. Which it probably needs given the resolution.

OOPS... seems this has already been covered on pages 2, 3, 5, 7 and 9.
    03-14-12 07:19 AM
    This thread is funny. I'd be more worried if RIM is actually going to release a PB2 this year let alone what the specs of it are going to be and if they will be noticeable.
    03-14-12 07:24 AM
    i think a RAM upgrade would be more noticable than the processor upgrade. The current PB operates very fast at most tasks already. It does suffer from low RAM though. Depending on the price difference i would say the processor upgrade alone isnt worth the upgrade but we all will have to wait and see what the actual new specs are.
    More RAM also uses more power, so with the same battery, that's less fun time. Besides, more RAM is useful if u don't have enough. I always have 300-400 mb left.
    03-14-12 07:30 AM
171 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD