Can you tell the difference between 1 billion cycles per second and 1 billion 500 million cycles per second?
    Yes, it's called a 50% increase.
    Abrante likes this.
    03-13-12 12:06 PM
    ^ This

Anyone who says they notice a difference in processors speeds when talking about an upgrade from 1.0Ghz to 1.5 Ghz is full of it. OH NOES!! My processor has 500 million less cycles!

Now a 50% increase in RAM would make a huge difference.
    This is true, but if you went from a 1.5Ghz to 1.0 you would notice a difference.
    03-13-12 12:09 PM
    nope, i am pretty sure you wouldnt be able to tell the difference in a measurable way.
    Well, we'll see what a side-by-side browser comparison has to show (comparing a 1GHz playbook to a 1.5GHz playbook web-page load time)

Would you agree that this that this is measurable?
    03-13-12 12:09 PM
    While its only a 500mhz step its also 50% faster. What's that mean? Likely very little. Launching apps, and boot time will be marginally quicker. You will likely get a few extra fps on some games but again it will be marginal and 99% of the people wonsee a difference.

Having said that I will still get one lol.
    03-13-12 12:10 PM
    nope, i am pretty sure you wouldnt be able to tell the difference in a measurable way.
    Only the battery will drain quicker.... :-)
    03-13-12 12:12 PM
    50% faster will be noticeable. How could it not be? .......some people's kids
    03-13-12 12:20 PM
    Yes, it's called a 50% increase.
    No sh1t sherlock. But can you quantify and that increase in frequency / clock speed in terms that are measurable by the human eye? Nope.
    03-13-12 12:21 PM
    50% faster will be noticeable. How could it not be?
    Processor speed does not automatically make the device faster... perhaps some internal processes will be faster - or ability to handle more pixels on the screen at the same speed as before...

Better algorithms - better software programming etc. can have a bigger impact in speed noticed by end-user.

It could also be that the extra "power" is needed to handle the 4G components..
    blackguy07 likes this.
    03-13-12 12:22 PM
    50% faster will be noticeable. How could it not be? .......some people's kids
    I like how everyone is an arm chair technological benchmarking genius on these boards.

Like I said before - I could stick 2 tablets in front of you one with a 1 ghz and one with a 1.5 ghz processor and you would not be able to perceive the difference. To say that you can is ridiculous.
    03-13-12 12:23 PM
    Processor speed does not automatically make the device faster... perhaps some internal processes will be faster - or ability to handle more pixels on the screen at the same speed as before...

Better algorithms - better software programming etc. can have a bigger impact in speed noticed by end-user.

It could also be that the extra "power" is needed to handle the 4G components..
    Glad someone has a clue in this thread.
    03-13-12 12:23 PM
    I predict processor speed bump will be noticeable, especially with current OS. I don't know if anyone noticed, or just me, that with new OS 2.0 release, my PB does not run as snappy as before. For example, when entering text it takes time for keyboard to show up, and when it shows up it slides somewhat choppy.

The RAM upgrade will also be a major factor, if the current PB is really running low on memory (due to Android Player, for example).

Anyway, the point is either one will be noticeable on its own, based on my own experience with current PB.
    03-13-12 12:27 PM
    Well, we'll see what a side-by-side browser comparison has to show (comparing a 1GHz playbook to a 1.5GHz playbook web-page load time)

Would you agree that this that this is measurable?
    No its not. Web page load time will depend on network speeds and bandwidth - even with devices sitting right next to each other. Also - what is cached in RAM? How much RAM is available? Are there internal register conflicts?

Do you honestly think you could put (2) 1 Ghz PB' next to each other and they will respond exactly the same, at the exact same speed? I can tell you from experience they dont. But according to your logic - they should. What would be the discrepancies between them then?

You people seem to think that an increase in processor speed automatically equates to a faster moving device / machine when in fact there are multiple variables involved.
    03-13-12 12:29 PM
    I like how everyone is an arm chair technological benchmarking genius on these boards.

Like I said before - I could stick 2 tablets in front of you one with a 1 ghz and one with a 1.5 ghz processor and you would not be able to perceive the difference. To say that you can is ridiculous.
    The processor upgrade on iPhone 4s from iPhone 4, which I thought was meaningless, was actually noticeable when I compared them side by side. Perhaps it was due to having dual core vs single core, but processor upgrade will have measurable benefit to end users I predict.
    03-13-12 12:30 PM
    just to clarify, i understand the differences between different chips and speeds. the engadget post was stating that the processor was the same speed/type as the last ipad with just the quad core gpu difference.

my point was that if there was not that much advancement by apple this would be rims chance to take a leap forward rather then taking baby steps. In the same way, if rim takes another baby step the next ipad will surely stomp all over it.
    03-13-12 12:36 PM
    No its not. Web page load time will depend on network speeds and bandwidth - even with devices sitting right next to each other. Also - what is cached in RAM? How much RAM is available? Are there internal register conflicts?

Do you honestly think you could put (2) 1 Ghz PB' next to each other and they will respond exactly the same, at the exact same speed? I can tell you from experience they dont. But according to your logic - they should. What would be the discrepancies between them then?

You people seem to think that an increase in processor speed automatically equates to a faster moving device / machine when in fact there are multiple variables involved.
    Well there IS a difference between 1.0 and 1.5ghz. The question should be whether or not its a NOTICEABLE difference.
    03-13-12 12:37 PM
    Not true at all. The new iPad has a quad core gpu where the playbook has a single core. The iPad will crush the playbook in any graphics intensive apps. And a 1.5Ghz playbook won't change that.
    You are misinformed. PlayBook has a dual core cpu.
    03-13-12 12:41 PM
    Lol, to all the people saying they don't want there to be a better Playbook than the one you have, it's a good thing you don't have an Android phone or you'd be upgrading every month
    03-13-12 12:42 PM
    ralfyguy i believe the poster was referring to a single core GPU in the PB
    03-13-12 12:42 PM
    Lol, to all the people saying they don't want there to be a better Playbook than the one you have, it's a good thing you don't have an Android phone or you'd be upgrading every month
    yea, but its better then having an ipad and having to wait 2 years for a worth while upgrade...
    03-13-12 12:45 PM
    Not true at all. The new iPad has a quad core gpu where the playbook has a single core. The iPad will crush the playbook in any graphics intensive apps. And a 1.5Ghz playbook won't change that.
    The GPU use in OMAP 4460 is PowerVR SGX540 which is half performance of SGX543.
    Given that the new iPad use a SGX543MP4, it is about 8x performance compared to the one in Playbook.
    03-13-12 12:46 PM
    The GPU use in OMAP 4460 is PowerVR SGX540 which is half performance of SGX543.
    Given that the new iPad use a SGX543MP4, it is about 8x performance compared to the one in Playbook.
    Then why is the playbook able to do so much more?
    03-13-12 12:48 PM
    I overclocked my Motorola Atrix to 1.5GHz vs the stock. Speed, only shows about 500-700ms difference in the sunspider benchmark. The Atrix and the playbook gets about the same score when both are at 1.0GHz.

The above test pretty much shows a good simulation we would get if we bumped up to 1.5GHz if it is the same CPU architecture. If the architecture is upgraded, than we might see more benefits.

In the mean time, QNX eats RAM like cupcakes, I presume upgrading the amount of RAM will improve STABILITY to apps so they are not closed as often. Improving the storage read/write speed will greatly improve the app loading times.

To sum up, next version of playbook should keep 1GHz for battery performance and add more RAM to increase stability and upgrade the type of storage chips to faster ones will improve visual performance (decreases loading times)

I have read an article about improving the speed of the storage chips will improve the entire operating system's performance in most cases. This was on Gizmodo I think, cant find the article anymore.
    03-13-12 12:54 PM
    So much more of what? I am really confused?
    03-13-12 12:54 PM
    So much more of what? I am really confused?
    HAHA, I agree, he is very vague about his point. I think he is referring to the way playbook does multitasking appears to be more powerful.

Keep in mind that number of cores for the GPU or CPU does not directly translate the number of times the performance to one. Dual core 1.0GHz DOES NOT mean 1.0GHz + 1.0GHz = 2.0GHz. This will apply to the new GPU used in the new iPad. We also have to remember that the new iPad or the iPad 2 alone has more pixels to render, and the new iPad has significantly a lot more pixels to operate. In real world situation, Playbook and new iPad to render the same scene, it is not a fair fight - results may vary.
    03-13-12 01:05 PM
    HAHA, I agree, he is very vague about his point. I think he is referring to the way playbook does multitasking appears to be more powerful.

Keep in mind that number of cores for the GPU or CPU does not directly translate the number of times the performance to one. Dual core 1.0GHz DOES NOT mean 1.0GHz + 1.0GHz = 2.0GHz. This will apply to the new GPU used in the new iPad. We also have to remember that the new iPad or the iPad 2 alone has more pixels to render, and the new iPad has significantly a lot more pixels to operate. In real world situation, Playbook and new iPad to render the same scene, it is not a fair fight - results may vary.
    lol. you guys are funny. its always the same line of reasoning with complete fanboys.

ok, look at this. you guys said the ipad2 processor is 4x as powerful as the PB (im not debating if this is true im just going with what you said). If this is true then the PB should be at the very least 2x as slow or unresponsive... yet all three ipad users i know also bought playbooks and have ALL said that the OS/GUI, multitasking and overall performance is MUCH QUICKER then the ipads. So... if the processor is so archaic then why is it doing so much more?

Again, iOS has many features that PB does not... but that is not the issue. The issue is that it was stated the the ipad processor can STOMP all over the PBs (i am also not saying this is wrong, the ipad processor may be faster, but the fact that you think it is 8x faster leads me to my orginial argument of misinformation). SHOW ME HOW!
    03-13-12 01:10 PM
171 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD