Ok, the whole 1.5 GHz on the 3g+ playbook is bothering me, I am a RIM fanboy and a hard core Blackberry addict, and I don't want to feel that my current playbook is going to be inferior to the newer one. So my question is would the 1.5 GHz processor operate the playbook faster than it already is, like would it make a difference if the RAM is still the same or is it just a for marketing purposes upgrade to numerically compete with the new ipad. Its just that my current pb runs really fast already and it is kind of hard to imagine one that actually runs faster.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-13-12 09:17 AM
    i think a RAM upgrade would be more noticable than the processor upgrade. The current PB operates very fast at most tasks already. It does suffer from low RAM though. Depending on the price difference i would say the processor upgrade alone isnt worth the upgrade but we all will have to wait and see what the actual new specs are.
    CDM76 and Earl_3 like this.
    03-13-12 09:25 AM
    If the current PB is quick enough for you ....why worry about future possible processing speeds ?? Just enjoy the current PB as is ...this tablet is a phenomenal device !!!
    03-13-12 09:33 AM
    I guess nothing is fast enough....

- Charles
    03-13-12 09:53 AM
    Ok, the whole 1.5 GHz on the 3g+ playbook is bothering me, I am a RIM fanboy and a hard core Blackberry addict, and I don't want to feel that my current playbook is going to be inferior to the newer one. So my question is would the 1.5 GHz processor operate the playbook faster than it already is, like would it make a difference if the RAM is still the same or is it just a for marketing purposes upgrade to numerically compete with the new ipad. Its just that my current pb runs really fast already and it is kind of hard to imagine one that actually runs faster.

Any thoughts?

like it or not, current models of any tech/toys will always be a step back when a new model is launched. even if its just additional RAM, or just an extra 0.5GHz, it is enough for a "old vs new" thought.

i guess your intention of such post is to seek comfort from users, that your playbook will not be outdated with the launch of newer models. this is equivalent to self-denial.

gadgets are going to get faster/better. chase it if you can afford it. else, use what you have until it breaks.
    03-13-12 10:05 AM
    well Engadget just posted this:

Not only did some lucky gents in Vietnam get their hands on the new iPad while most people are still refreshing their delivery status page, they were also kind enough to run some benchmark tests. The results confirm that the RAM has been upped to 1GB, with the Geekbench score settling at 756. The processor remains at 1GHz, again, which is what we expected, but puts the kibosh on any speculation that there might have been a slight bump in clock speeds. If you want to see the full breakdown, hit the source for the goods.
    Which means your current PB is on par with all of the NEW ipad specs except for the screen resolution. If the PB does get a 1.5ghz update that would be great, but it wouldnt be enough for me to update. If it does get NFC and a boost in RAM that would be a different story, but it is already fast enough and NO ONE can justify an upgrade for just a little bit of processor speed. (although a better screen is worth $500 ... apparently...)
    yasmar and scott.slater like this.
    03-13-12 10:16 AM
    I would agree with your comment and the whole self denial analogy if the new playbook had a 1.5 GHz processor with a 2 gig ram but keeping the RAM the same, just doesn't cut it for me as an upgrade and I just wanted to see if people had a different view in terms of performance differences.

If I know that the newer pb is in fact going to be faster I will upgrade without hesitation, but from my current observation it doesn't seem like it will if the RAM is kept the same because I doubt that the current processor's potential is already being utilized just like the ps3 and most games out there that still are not good enough to put to test the ps3's true graphics capabilities well with the exception of maybe battle field 3.

03-13-12 10:18 AM
    i think a RAM upgrade would be more noticable than the processor upgrade. The current PB operates very fast at most tasks already. It does suffer from low RAM though. Depending on the price difference i would say the processor upgrade alone isnt worth the upgrade but we all will have to wait and see what the actual new specs are.
    ^ This

Anyone who says they notice a difference in processors speeds when talking about an upgrade from 1.0Ghz to 1.5 Ghz is full of it. OH NOES!! My processor has 500 million less cycles!

Now a 50% increase in RAM would make a huge difference.
    blackberry-pimp and Cracklen like this.
    03-13-12 10:20 AM
    Wondering if the projected increase in processor speed is indeed from new processors installed or by some kind of overclocking of the current processor. HP Touchpad was supplied with 1.2 G processor that was easily overclocked over 1.5. Food for thought.
    crackedup77 likes this.
    03-13-12 10:25 AM
    The new devices are supposed to add NFC and bump the dual core processor to 1.5ghz. I do not believe a RAM increase is included. However, it would be enough for me to get the 4G LTE version.
    03-13-12 10:29 AM
    That is why in the computer world the processors don't really get any faster anymore, but they stick WAY more RAM in there now. My HP Pavilion from 2006 had a 2.6GHZ AMD dual core processor and I stuck 4GB of RAM in it back then. It's 2012 and it still runs everything you throw at it with ease. 4GB of RAM seems to ne the new minimum standard nowadays, but the processors haven't gotten that much faster, except more cores. I can run 1080p videos on it and any other program you can think of, even with XP still on it.
    mdsf likes this.
    03-13-12 10:33 AM
    That is why in the computer world the processors don't really get any faster anymore, but they stick WAY more RAM in there now. My HP Pavilion from 2006 had a 2.6GHZ AMD dual core processor and I stuck 4GB of RAM in it back then. It's 2012 and it still runs everything you throw at it with ease. 4GB of RAM seems to ne the new minimum standard nowadays, but the processors haven't gotten that much faster, except more cores. I can run 1080p videos on it and any other program you can think of, even with XP still on it.
    thats bcos no point having 4 horses when the road can only take 2 =)
    gschep and shupor like this.
    03-13-12 10:37 AM
    ^ This

Anyone who says they notice a difference in processors speeds when talking about an upgrade from 1.0Ghz to 1.5 Ghz is full of it. OH NOES!! My processor has 500 million less cycles!

Huh?

You don't think you would notice a 50% increase in CPU speed?
    03-13-12 10:40 AM
    The difference here is the processor tech is MUCH different. Die sizes decrease and performance increases. your 2.6 from back then is not the same as the 2.6 in 2012
    Huh?

nope, i am pretty sure you wouldnt be able to tell the difference in a measurable way.
    kennyliu, dave1701 and randalj327 like this.
    03-13-12 10:58 AM

Which means your current PB is on par with all of the NEW ipad specs except for the screen resolution. If the PB does get a 1.5ghz update that would be great, but it wouldnt be enough for me to update. If it does get NFC and a boost in RAM that would be a different story, but it is already fast enough and NO ONE can justify an upgrade for just a little bit of processor speed. (although a better screen is worth $500 ... apparently...)
    Clock speed is not the only thing that determines performance. Current lower clock second gen Sandy Bridge processors are much much faster and more efficient at 1.2 Ghz than their 3Ghz Pentium 4 counterparts.

The A5X probably has a different architecture and definitely a more powerful GPU, which explains why it's reported to be 4x the performance of Tegra 3. It will most probably outperform the 1.5 Ghz TI OMAP 4460 by a significant margin as well.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-13-12 11:02 AM
    Besides, comparing specs like clock speed and amount of RAM on two devices with different OSs is meaningless. iPad 2 worked just fine and smooth with only 512 Mb of RAM, which would be impossible on the PB.
    03-13-12 11:09 AM
    I'm with the op, if I even THINK that the new PB is better.....out comes the credit card! Sorry, but I will just have to have it!

Question: will the new PB be carrier specific?
    03-13-12 11:16 AM
    Depends on what you do. My core i7 lappy is no faster than my older dual core AMD for browsing, email, word processing etc.

You'll only notice a difference when doing heavy processing tasks such as some games or graphic intensive programs etc and then the software and OS has to written to take advantage of it.
    03-13-12 11:26 AM
    Back to OP's concern. On top of more power consumption due to the higher clock chip and addition of the 3G and NFC modules, the rumored PB 3G will have a smaller battery capacity, hence a shorter battery life than the current PB. So the current PB may be even more appealing in the battery life dept.
    03-13-12 11:28 AM
    Besides, comparing specs like clock speed and amount of RAM on two devices with different OSs is meaningless. iPad 2 worked just fine and smooth with only 512 Mb of RAM, which would be impossible on the PB.
    Exactly! These type of comparisons are only really valid within the same family.

Comparing clock speeds, between different hardware and software, is meaningless.
    03-13-12 11:36 AM

Not true at all. The new iPad has a quad core gpu where the playbook has a single core. The iPad will crush the playbook in any graphics intensive apps. And a 1.5Ghz playbook won't change that.
    03-13-12 11:44 AM
    ^ This

Are you kidding?

I'd agree with you if we were talking about desktop CPUs... I honestly see no difference running my quad code CPU at 3.5ghz or 4ghz (approx 12%). But you're talking about a tablet CPU with a base clock of 1ghz. 1.5ghz is 50% faster and a HUGE difference.

Time how long it takes to open the Messages native app, or the Calendar apps and I bet you with 50% more CPU clocks you'll notice a big difference at the time it takes to open those apps.

More ram would help multi-tasking, it wouldn't change much to the current performance in terms of speed.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    03-13-12 11:47 AM
    Huh?

Can you tell the difference between 1 billion cycles per second and 1 billion 500 million cycles per second?
    03-13-12 11:50 AM
    Are you kidding?

I'd agree with you if we were talking about desktop CPUs... I honestly see no difference running my quad code CPU at 3.5ghz or 4ghz (approx 12%). But you're talking about a tablet CPU with a base clock of 1ghz. 1.5ghz is 50% faster and a HUGE difference.

Time how long it takes to open the Messages native app, or the Calendar apps and I bet you with 50% more CPU clocks you'll notice a big difference at the time it takes to open those apps.

More ram would help multi-tasking, it wouldn't change much to the current performance in terms of speed.
    So you are saying that opening of apps has nothing to do with RAM?

And are you saying that I can use a stop watch to quantify the difference in processor speeds that range over 1 billion cycles per second?

I would bet you $100 that I could put identical tablets in front of you with one having a 1Ghz and one having a 1.5 Ghz processor and you would have no idea which one is which.

And one more for the fun of it.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    03-13-12 11:54 AM
    We need to see dual core + gpu's...the QNX graphic capabilities are second to none on mobile potential wise. RIM needs to shine in the graphics department
    03-13-12 11:59 AM
171 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD