I have a 16G with OS1.07 and a 32G with OS 2.0. The 16G takes 1 minute 30 to boot and the 32G takes 3 full minutes. Makes me kind of hope they don't come up with OS 3
    02-21-12 04:42 PM
    For a mobile/portable device the boot times are atrocious! I avoid restarting or turning off my playbook as much as possible. Compare android iOS, playbook is dead last... my Win7 boots faster than this. Poor programming ? They're not using the ram for quick boot?
    02-21-12 04:47 PM
    Considering it's a mini computer, doing everything by wifi, I don't see a problem...
    02-21-12 04:49 PM
    How often does anyone have to boot the PlayBook? The fact that we don't have to boot up after deleting/installing apps makes the boot up time a none issue.....

Just can't please everyone....I'm just thankful that booting up the device is really only required after an OS update.

User tip- don't power off the device...you don't need too
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-21-12 at 04:56 PM.
    Shayme likes this.
    02-21-12 04:52 PM
    Considering it's a mini computer, doing everything by wifi, I don't see a problem...
    The problem is competition. If 2min boot times where standard the Playbook would fine instead it's molasses in comparison. People would want to just click their device and use it in seconds.
    02-21-12 04:52 PM
    User tip- don't power off the device...you don't need too ..just put it in standby then it will start up so fast your head will spin lol
    02-21-12 05:03 PM
    I have a 16G with OS1.07 and a 32G with OS 2.0. The 16G takes 1 minute 30 to boot and the 32G takes 3 full minutes. Makes me kind of hope they don't come up with OS 3
    compared to OS 1.x I think OS 2.0 encrypts the whole data, could be that it is doing some integrity checks upon startup.
    02-21-12 05:06 PM
    i never power off or restart unless i have to.
    Shayme likes this.
    02-21-12 05:10 PM
    I turn mine off every night - just my personal preference. OS2 takes a little longer to boot up but nothing I can't live with. It's not like I need it to put out a fire or anything...
    02-21-12 05:13 PM
    Compare android iOS, playbook is dead last... my Win7 boots faster than this. Poor programming ? They're not using the ram for quick boot?
    As taylortbb has posted several times, the bulk of the startup time is cryptographic verification of the entire OS image.

If it didn't take that long to boot, you wouldn't have as secure an OS.

PlayBook dead last in boot time? There's a good reason for that...

I'll take a >2min bootup and high security over a 25s bootup and no security, especially when I only have to boot it up once or twice a month, max.
    Shayme and greatwiseone like this.
    02-21-12 05:16 PM
    For a mobile/portable device the boot times are atrocious! I avoid restarting or turning off my playbook as much as possible. Compare android iOS, playbook is dead last... my Win7 boots faster than this. Poor programming ? They're not using the ram for quick boot?

i have an android 3 think pad from lenovo and it's it takes forever to boot. I haven't timed it but I honestly never shut any of them off unless I know it will be a weekend until i touch them.

My pb's are on dock chargers next to the bed so no need to shut them off.
    02-21-12 05:41 PM
    How often does anyone have to boot the PlayBook? The fact that we don't have to boot up after deleting/installing apps makes the boot up time a none issue.....

Just can't please everyone....I'm just thankful that booting up the device is really only required after an OS update.

User tip- don't power off the device...you don't need too
    I am sorry but that was a lousy tip when Microsoft released Vista and it is a lousy tip today. The fact is that a Playbook takes longer to boot than any tablet on the market and is slower than booting a full computer from a cold start. Windows 8 boots a full desktop OS and a tablet interface in 15 to 20 seconds +/- 5 seconds. You can turn off any other tablet and it is a nuisance with a Playbook. BTW, if there s ever a flood of apps from Android developers (which I doubt), you will be rebooting your tablet more often than you think when apps lock up your Playbook.
    02-21-12 05:47 PM
    I reboot as a last resort, so the speed really doesn't bother me. The PlayBook is still a formatable tablet.....GOOD job RIM
    02-21-12 05:48 PM
    Yes, OS2 takes too long to boot, no way around it. I don't buy that it's a non-issue. For battery's sake, I would prefer to power down the tablet each time. And, sometimes, powering down and reboots are necessary. Not a deal breaker, but it is annoying and something RIM should work on.
    02-21-12 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD